Contribute
Register

System not bootable after update to Clover 2.4k rev 4674

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is weird. I had the keyboard problem with the new clover but once I booted with my Unibeast key (r4458) my shift key worked again and I was able to change drive and recover, Why thats not the case with you I haven't a clue. I was reading a post yesterday that I thought was funny (as in odd) it referenced the keyboard problem and solved it by using an old ps2 keyboard. I doubt thats much help but maybe if you have an older keyboard maybe give it a try?!? This was, I think, from one of the other hack sites. Sorry @MusicHacker thats the best I've got. If you have time machine setup maybe recreate an older unibeast and reinstall?
Sorry, you're quite right. I was trying to use Clover Shell with 4674. If I use the old Clover on the USB key, I can get into Shell and use the shift key... so I'll have a go at the procedure in the link you sent through tomorrow when I'm feeling awake enough to be sure to do it right! Thanks again... I'll report on it tomorrow.

@MusicHacker I just has a thought that won't require the shift key and you can probably do on the Windows side of the world. first a disclaimer I haven't tried any of this so I don't know if it will work. Clover keep a backup copy of you EFI partition on the Mac drive in \EFI-Backups they are arranged in sub-directories by version number.

Sooo... if you can access your mac drive from Windows and mount the EFI partition of the Mac drive it may be just a matter of selecting an older backup from \EFI-Backup and copy it to your Mac EFI partition. And I just thought if you have a EFI backup on a flash drive you could use that also. I've been in this biz too long not to have multiple backups of important stuff. If you don't I guess now is what is referred to as a teaching moment. :D

Sorry, you're quite right. I was trying to use Clover Shell with 4674. If I use the old Clover on the USB key, I can get into Shell and use the shift key... so I'll have a go at the procedure in the link you sent through tomorrow when I'm feeling awake enough to be sure to do it right! Thanks again... I'll report on it tomorrow.

I've tried the steps outlined here:

• Once I map FS0-FS8 I can go to FS0/FS1 (USB) and execute "ls" to list files, etc.
  • The same goes for FS2, FS3 & FS4 (SATA). Two of these - FS2 & FS4 - are EFI partitions. The other - FS3 - is an extra HD that's in the machine, formatted as HFS, and I can see all the files on it.
  • I believe that the EFI partition I'm interested in is FS4, which has sub-folders for Clover, Microsoft, etc.
So I'm making progress there, but, having mapped FS5-8, I find that if I switch to any of these partitions (e.g. "FS5:") that works fine, but once I execute "ls" the machine hangs (keyboard and screen unresponsive).

So I don't know why I'm unable to look at FS5-FS8. I assume that one of these is the MacOS drive and so I need to access it to get to the Clover backup. What can I do?

Hey @MusicHacker,
This weekend was really busy so I didn't have a chance to reply to your message earlier. Have you found a solution?

In the past when I've looked at the EFI drives I've noticed that some don't seem to be filesystems that are browsable with something like 'ls'. I don't know why that is like that. Your Mac drive should show EFI files. specifically there are 2 EFI directories for example for me its FS1: so at the Clover shell prompt I type fs1: and hit enter then cd EFI and ls if you see another EFI directory type in cd EFI and hit enter then ls and you should see the APPLE, BOOT, and CLOVER directories. Now you can cd into the CLOVER directory and copy files from your "good" version of clover like the link above states.

Also one thing thats not mentioned much is the -b option for many of the EFI shell commands. e.g. map -b or ls -b will give you one screen at a time. Use the spacebar to advance a page or q (I think) to quit. -b does not work with commands like cd or cp and probably others.

HTH.

Thanks to everyone for help on this. I was able to copy the relevant file from CLOVER on my USB boot drive over to the EFI on the main drive and now the Hac is back. As ever, greatly appreciative of the superb help on these forums.

was a
Thanks to everyone for help on this. I was able to copy the relevant file from CLOVER on my USB boot drive over to the EFI on the main drive and now the Hac is back. As ever, greatly appreciative of the superb help on these forums.
Could you specify how did you fix this issue? I got same problem that “ls” command just freezes the machine completely so I can’t find the right directory to copy paste necessary files. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back