Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270X-Gaming 8
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
Onboard, Intel 630
After a year of great Hackintosh use I upgraded Clover to 4674 and the system won't boot. Here is what happens:
  1. If I boot from the system drive I will arrive in the updated Clover but cannot boot the system from there. If I try to access Clover shell to explore further, the shift keys on my keyboard do not work and so I cannot execute various commands (including going to a drive such as FS0:), so I cannot make changes this way.
  2. If I boot from my USB, I arrive in the old Clover but if I then ask it to boot the system, it hangs on startup. (Apple logo appears on screen but progress bar does not move).
So at this point I am fully locked out of the system. Would appreciate help to get back in. Since I've not had to modify this Hack in a year, I've forgotten most of what I learned when putting it together, so please treat my as a noob!

Thanks.

You aren't alone @MusicHacker. I have Clover 4458 installed with High Sierra and everything is working fine. I tried to update to 4674 and had the same problems you have. IMHO there are problems with this release if even the keyboard doesn't function properly. In other posts I've read that 4586 works better but I haven't tried it yet. I'd like to update to Mojave but I think I need a newer Clover. Lots of question few answers. :)

You aren't alone @MusicHacker. I have Clover 4458 installed with High Sierra and everything is working fine. I tried to update to 4674 and had the same problems you have. IMHO there are problems with this release if even the keyboard doesn't function properly. In other posts I've read that 4586 works better but I haven't tried it yet. I'd like to update to Mojave but I think I need a newer Clover. Lots of question few answers. :)
It's good to know I'm not alone, but we need to solve the problem and I'm not sure what first steps to take. If there is a way to revert to my previous version of Clover then I will do that, but at present I can't get in to the system at all.

I'm hoping someone will be able to guide me with first steps here. This forum was absolutely superb when I built the Hack, so I expect we'll solve this.

If your system isn't booting it can be a real PITA and depending on how comfortable you are with a command line environment. The simple answer is copy a backup EFI (from whatever version you had before) over the top of your 4674 EFI files. The easiest way to to this is to use a different Mac. Originally I used my MacBookPro and used my hackintosh drive as and external drive and made all the changes that way. if needed I can provide more detailed explicit help. Is this your only Mac, @MusicHacker? let get things working again then figure out the update. :)

If your system isn't booting it can be a real PITA and depending on how comfortable you are with a command line environment. The simple answer is copy a backup EFI (from whatever version you had before) over the top of your 4674 EFI files. The easiest way to to this is to use a different Mac. Originally I used my MacBookPro and used my hackintosh drive as and external drive and made all the changes that way. if needed I can provide more detailed explicit help. Is this your only Mac, @MusicHacker? let get things working again then figure out the update. :)
Thanks for this. I have a MBP, but I can't connect it to my Hack system drive, which is an M.2 drive on my mobo. The Hack is dual boot and I can log in to Windows 10 on the other partition. I have installed the free edition of Hasleo EasyUEFI, but I don't know if that helps at all and haven't used it.

What I don't understand at present is why, when I boot from my USB UEFI into an older version of Clover, that fails to boot the main system, so I'm a bit mystified. What do you think the next step should be?

Thanks for that. The problem I have here is that I can't "go to" a drive, because - for some reason - the shift keys on my keyboard don't work in Clover Shell, so I can't type (for example) "FS0:", because the colon requires "Shift", so I can't use those steps until the keyboard issue is resolved. (The keyboard works fine - perfect in Windows on the same machine, and always worked fine everywhere until the Clover update...)

Thanks for this. I have a MBP, but I can't connect it to my Hack system drive, which is an M.2 drive on my mobo. The Hack is dual boot and I can log in to Windows 10 on the other partition. I have installed the free edition of Hasleo EasyUEFI, but I don't know if that helps at all and haven't used it.

What I don't understand at present is why, when I boot from my USB UEFI into an older version of Clover, that fails to boot the main system, so I'm a bit mystified. What do you think the next step should be?

I completely understand. I "upgraded" my hackintosh SSD to an NVME m.2 which is why I can't use my MBP either. Sometime "better" tech doesn't make things easier, ay? lol

as for next steps... I'm just guessing because I haven't been doing this hack thing as long as you have. :) but here is what I'd try. if you still have your original UniBeast flash key. if you boot off of that, can you boot your Mac drive with that? if so it may just be a matter of running multibeast on your internal drive again? IDK

I agree with you the people here are very helpful and its a wonderful site. There are people here that maybe of more help then I am. I may, as the saying goes, be the blind leading the blind. meaning I may not know any more then you. :)

if you still have your original UniBeast flash key. if you boot off of that, can you boot your Mac drive with that? if so it may just be a matter of running multibeast on your internal drive again? IDK
Thanks for that. So that's the weird thing. I have been booting from my original UniBeast flash key - and that gets me in to Clover (an older version), but I can't get any further with that either!

That is weird. I had the keyboard problem with the new clover but once I booted with my Unibeast key (r4458) my shift key worked again and I was able to change drive and recover, Why thats not the case with you I haven't a clue. I was reading a post yesterday that I thought was funny (as in odd) it referenced the keyboard problem and solved it by using an old ps2 keyboard. I doubt thats much help but maybe if you have an older keyboard maybe give it a try?!? This was, I think, from one of the other hack sites. Sorry @MusicHacker thats the best I've got. If you have time machine setup maybe recreate an older unibeast and reinstall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back