HD 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello all,
First off...thank you RehabMan for your previous help and install guide.

I have purchased a refurb 4530s (A7K07UT: i5 2450M, 4GB, Intel 3000, BIOS f.28).
I "mostly" followed RehabMan's thread found here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/77057-guide-installing-mountain-lion-hp-probook.html
I've got 10.8.2 installed and booting. Things seem to work correctly, minus USB3, flaky Bluetooth and occasionally funky mouse pad.
The problem is there is significant lag with the system. If I double click the hard drive, a couple of seconds later it will open. If I open up Photobooth, the picture lags by 3 seconds.
I did notice at some point the lag would come and go. So I started investigating.

Turns out that it may have something to do with power. During the lag, if I pulled the power and ran off battery the lag would stop in a few seconds. I have had the lag eventually come back after I run on battery for a while. Reconnecting the AC for a while then disconnecting it again would stop the lag once more.

Here's how I installed from RehabMan's Install link:
I explicitly followed steps 1-14.
I used Tegezee's ProBook Installer 5.1b1 with options:
ML 10.8 (later 10.8.1 for the 10.8.2 combo update)
Chimera 1.11.0
Ethernet Kext
AHCI Patch
EDID generator
Sleep Image Fix
SSDT i5 2540m
Graphic Glitch Fix
DSDT Standard 4530s HD 3000 BIOS revision F20
System Definition MacBook Pro (8,2)
And a few tools from the Extra section.

I then followed the instructions for upgrading from 10.8.0 to 10.8.2 steps 1-4.
When I ran Tegezee's Installer again I installed everything except the Graphics Glitch, Sleep Fix and Ethernet Kext. For some reason with the Ethernet Kext selected the installer would fail. (This is way I said "mostly" earlier)

Next I Installed the 10.8.2 Supplement update.

This is where I stand with my installation.

What could it be? Battery .kex? Refurb problem? :(

I appreciate any help!

Hello all,
First off...thank you RehabMan for your previous help and install guide.

I have purchased a refurb 4530s (A7K07UT: i5 2450M, 4GB, Intel 3000, BIOS f.28).
I "mostly" followed RehabMan's thread found here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/77057-guide-installing-mountain-lion-hp-probook.html
I've got 10.8.2 installed and booting. Things seem to work correctly, minus USB3, flaky Bluetooth and occasionally funky mouse pad.
The problem is there is significant lag with the system. If I double click the hard drive, a couple of seconds later it will open. If I open up Photobooth, the picture lags by 3 seconds.
I did notice at some point the lag would come and go. So I started investigating.

Turns out that it may have something to do with power. During the lag, if I pulled the power and ran off battery the lag would stop in a few seconds. I have had the lag eventually come back after I run on battery for a while. Reconnecting the AC for a while then disconnecting it again would stop the lag once more.

Here's how I installed from RehabMan's Install link:
I explicitly followed steps 1-14.
I used Tegezee's ProBook Installer 5.1b1 with options:
ML 10.8 (later 10.8.1 for the 10.8.2 combo update)
Chimera 1.11.0
Ethernet Kext
AHCI Patch
EDID generator
Sleep Image Fix
SSDT i5 2540m
Graphic Glitch Fix
DSDT Standard 4530s HD 3000 BIOS revision F20
System Definition MacBook Pro (8,2)
And a few tools from the Extra section.

I then followed the instructions for upgrading from 10.8.0 to 10.8.2 steps 1-4.
When I ran Tegezee's Installer again I installed everything except the Graphics Glitch, Sleep Fix and Ethernet Kext. For some reason with the Ethernet Kext selected the installer would fail. (This is way I said "mostly" earlier)

Next I Installed the 10.8.2 Supplement update.

This is where I stand with my installation.

What could it be? Battery .kex? Refurb problem? :(

I appreciate any help!

How was it before you upgraded to 10.8.2... was it ok on 10.8.0? Maybe try it a step at a time... verify 10.8.0 is ok, then 10.8.1, then 10.8.2. Also, if you read the guide, it says you need to only install the OS X version kexts "... selecting only the Mac OS X 10.8.1 option." when running the installer the second time, post 10.8.2 update. I don't think it does any harm to do so, but it avoids a possible mistake second time through.

Strange that the ethernet kext gave failure second time through. I would suspect that more from AHCI patch. Are you sure?

But I've never heard of this one, so I think it is best to take things one step at a time from a fresh install (remember to erase your partition). I would also try without patched AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext (copy it out of /System/Library/Extensions before running ProBook installer to save for later re-install).

If your laptop works fine on Windows, I doubt it is refurb issue.

I didn't stay on 10.8.0 long, but I'm pretty sure it had the same lag. Sorry missed the "only 10.8.1" item.
I think you are correct. It was the AHCI not the Ethernet that caused the failure.
I booted into Windows to make sure everything was fine. I did find that it ran very slow and found that upgrading the BIOS fixed the issue.
I think I'll reinstall Windows and see if there is a refurb issue. Then I'll install from your guide again backing up the AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext.

Thanks...I'm guessing you won't hear from me for a while.

Cheers!

Looks like the issue is with the refurbed hardware. I ran Linux off a flash drive and the issue was still there. I wiped the drive and installed Win7. The issue was still there although it wasn't as noticeable as it was in ML and Linux. I guess that's why I missed it when I first tested it.
RMA coming my way.

Thanks again RehabMan!

Looks like the issue is with the refurbed hardware. I ran Linux off a flash drive and the issue was still there. I wiped the drive and installed Win7. The issue was still there although it wasn't as noticeable as it was in ML and Linux. I guess that's why I missed it when I first tested it.
RMA coming my way.

Thanks again RehabMan!
Did you try this tool from HP site

Advanced Format Hard Disk Information Tool 1.0

Hard drive performance can suffer if misaligned.

and did you extract and patch DSDT acording to the guide?

https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch/wiki/How-to-patch-your-DSDT

just ideas to explore...

I did neither of those. But would either of these things fix a lag issue which can be triggered by applying power?
I don't believe I'm the only one who as this issue I saw a post on a YouTube 4530s Hackintosh video and the guy was having similar symptoms (sorry, lost the link).

Thanks.

Big Donkey,
I decided to check the Advanced Format...the drive is set to= NO.
How would I begin to tackle this problem?
Do I need to format the drive in some special way?
Will the Advanced Format hold over to a HFS+ formatting for installing ML?
Do you believe this would actually help within ML?

Thanks!

OK...listen to this.

After checking the Advanced Format I decided to put the 10.8.2 backup image on the system.
I started poking around and I've found that the system hasn't displayed any lag yet.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

The only thing I did that would follow over from Windows to ML would be the BIOS/Firmware I updated.
I updated the system BIOS to f.29 and the firmware for the MEI, USB3 and WebCam to the current versions.

Thoughts?

I'm going to keep a close eye on this since it's fooled into thinking it was OK before!

EDIT:
How does the Nova score compare?

Attachments

• HP 3450s Refurb.png
    HP 3450s Refurb.png
    62.5 KB · Views: 176
After about 28 hrs of no lag...it showed up for a few minutes. The only thing I did that was different was turn on "Show battery status in menu bar".
I warm booted, cold booted, turned off battery status, rebooted with the power adapter disconnected and the lag finally stopped.

Anyone...anyone...Bueller?

After about 28 hrs of no lag...it showed up for a few minutes. The only thing I did that was different was turn on "Show battery status in menu bar".
I warm booted, cold booted, turned off battery status, rebooted with the power adapter disconnected and the lag finally stopped.

Anyone...anyone...Bueller?

If you've already got an RMA coming, I wouldn't worry about it. Especially since you see the same thing happening in Windows and Linux. It is not normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back