Contribute
Register

System Freezes; Screens go to one black one white. (Solved)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's related to HEVC acceleration. I had similar problems with High Sierra when exporting videos and using some Apple apps.

Use iMac18,3 as SMBIOS, install latest Lilu and WhatEvergreen kexts and enable iGPU in your BIOS.
Delete every patch related to GPUs on your Clover config (PEGP, HDAS, GFX0, IGPU, etc) and use ONLY what you need.

Maybe it has to do with HEVC acceleration but I am not exporting HEVC I am not on HS and My Previous EFI before I started running the current modified version of Pastrychef had pretty much zero entries in clover. To quote Pastrychef when he reviewed it "Holy smokes. Your EFI folder is extremely barren. Lol".

If you will be using MacPro6,1, you can do the rename in config.plist > ACPI > DSDT with:
Comment: change PEGP to GFX1
Find: 50454750
Replace: 47465831

In the end I am going to run what ever is the most stable, but I would really love to have both DP. I am going to keep going with it the way it is right now and if it does not go down I might just leave it this way and set up another drive to mess around with.

Any idea why the iMac SM need WG green for all ports, and basically any other SM does not?

So If I am understanding correctly the point of all the renames and such is to make MacOS believe that as much of the hardware as possible is really Mac Hardware? And just because it works does not mean it will not have something that freaks out when it is wrong?

Maybe it has to do with HEVC acceleration but I am not exporting HEVC I am not on HS and My Previous EFI before I started running the current modified version of Pastrychef had pretty much zero entries in clover. To quote Pastrychef when he reviewed it "Holy smokes. Your EFI folder is extremely barren. Lol".

The patch applies also on Mojave, of course.
You need hardware acceleration not only for HEVC exporting.

I suggested you a possible and extremely easy solution. It's your choice to try it or now.

In the end I am going to run what ever is the most stable, but I would really love to have both DP. I am going to keep going with it the way it is right now and if it does not go down I might just leave it this way and set up another drive to mess around with.

Any idea why the iMac SM need WG green for all ports, and basically any other SM does not?

So If I am understanding correctly the point of all the renames and such is to make MacOS believe that as much of the hardware as possible is really Mac Hardware?

I have no idea why the iMac18,3 system definition only enables a single port.

macOS expects devices to be named a certain way and Windows sometimes names them something else. Sometimes, this doesn't cause any problems but sometimes it does. If you look at the Quick Look thread, it's becoming increasingly apparent that while not renaming PEGP to GFX0 or GFX1 can generally work, it can break things (such as Quick Look) and users are left looking for reasons why. As you can see this particular rename is easily done in config.plist, why not do it?

As michelinu stated, if you use WhateverGreen, WhateverGreen will do the renaming for you.

A little side note, I have been testing my own Z370 system without WhateverGreen. As you stated, I don't need to inject Intel, AMD, or RadeonDeInit. macOS now recognizes both the IGPU and Vega natively and it just works. With this configuration, I do use the ACPI renames of GFX0 to IGPU and PEGP to GFX0. Lilu and AppleALC is still installed for audio. I have not tested with more than a single monitor (I only own one monitor).

I have no idea why the iMac18,3 system definition only enables a single port.

macOS expects devices to be named a certain way and Windows sometimes names them something else. Sometimes, this doesn't cause any problems but sometimes it does. If you look at the Quick Look thread, it's becoming increasingly apparent that while not renaming PEGP to GFX0 or GFX1 can generally work, it can break things (such as Quick Look) and users are left looking for reasons why. As you can see this particular rename is easily done in config.plist, why not do it?

As michelinu stated, if you use WhateverGreen, WhateverGreen will do the renaming for you.

A little side note, I have been testing my own Z370 system without WhateverGreen. As you stated, I don't need to inject Intel, AMD, or RadeonDeInit. macOS now recognizes both the IGPU and Vega natively and it just works. With this configuration, I do use the ACPI renames of GFX0 to IGPU and PEGP to GFX0. Lilu and AppleALC is still installed for audio. I have not tested with more than a single monitor (I only own one monitor).

Maybe with the renames you have and the one you have given me WG and Lilu will be fine but I have noticed that the system would crash more often with them. I did notice that you posted that you had removed WG and the injection and everything was working still. Does your monitor support PIP? if it does then your computer would believe that you have two monitors. And my experience is that 18,3 you get 1 DP 1 HDMI, with 6,1 you get them all. I would guess also that with apple ALC and 6,1 you would get audio over all the ports as well.

Maybe with the renames you have and the one you have given me WG and Lilu will be fine but I have noticed that the system would crash more often with them. I did notice that you posted that you had removed WG and the injection and everything was working still. Does your monitor support PIP? if it does then your computer would believe that you have two monitors. And my experience is that 18,3 you get 1 DP 1 HDMI, with 6,1 you get them all. I would guess also that with apple ALC and 6,1 you would get audio over all the ports as well.

Yes, my monitor does PiP but it only has one DisplayPort connection, one HDMI, one DVI. This would not help me test for two functional DisplayPorts.

Yes, my monitor does PiP but it only has one DisplayPort connection, one HDMI, one DVI. This would not help me test for two functional DisplayPorts.

Well technically if you had a DisplayPort to HDMI cord you could, but you could also simply just plug the cord into another DisplayPort and see if it is outputting signal. The problem with the iMac is the DP are simply just turned off! WE turns them back on I guess by maping them where as they were unmapped previously.

Could this be why the system seems stable now?

System Integrity Protection: Enabled

I know that my EFI it was disabled and with yours it is not? I know I disabled it when I was setting up messages but it never occurred to me to change it back.

Well technically if you had a DisplayPort to HDMI cord you could, but you could also simply just plug the cord into another DisplayPort and see if it is outputting signal. The problem with the iMac is the DP are simply just turned off! WE turns them back on I guess by maping them where as they were unmapped previously.

Could this be why the system seems stable now?

System Integrity Protection: Enabled

I know that my EFI it was disabled and with yours it is not? I know I disabled it when I was setting up messages but it never occurred to me to change it back.

Okay. Just dug up my HDMI to DisplayPort adaptor. Indeed, the other two DisplayPort connectors are disabled and the HDMI works.

Not sure if enabling SIP can help stability... I know quite a few people have it disabled.

I suspect the SSDTs you were using to populate System Information more than SIP.

Sometimes they were in sometimes they were out in the shuffle of testing different things.

At this point, it sounds like things are much more stable for you without them.

Have you restarted at all or have you kept the system up and running throughout?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back