1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Here is the build I'm working on:

MoBo: ASRock Z370M Pro4
Processor: Intel Core i5-8400 Coffee Lake 6-Core 2.8 GHz
Hard Drive: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3D NAND MZ-75E500B/AM SSD

Here is the issue:

I built this system and, for graphics, I had installed a GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1050Ti. It worked great, except for FinalCutPro X, where the performance was horrible.

So I got an AMD Radeon RX580 8GB, which is supposed to be great when running FCPX. I will not be using it for gaming, so the Final Cut performance is the most important for me.

The issue now is that, after replacing the video card, the system does not start. It gets stuck during the verbose process. It doesn't even boot from the USB drive I had built for it, from which I had no problem running before.

So here is what I have done so far:

Removed NvidiaGraphicsFix.kext from EFI > CLOVER > Kexts > Other

Now all I have in there is: FakeSMC, IntelGraphicsFixup.kext, Lilu.kext, all latest versions. (see attached)

Also, please see attached for contents of EFI > CLOVER > drivers64UEFI

Finally, the config.plist has no Nvidia injects that I can find, and the NvidiaWeb flag in System Parameters is turned off. (config attached)

Monitor is currently connected to new AMD Radeon RX580 card via a Display Port. Integrated Graphics is disabled in BIOS.

Any chance someone can offer some help here? I have no idea how to proceed and, so far, I've search long and wide and can't find clues as to what to do next since I can't even boot from USB to make changes and try things.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Attachments

• kexts Contents.png
    kexts Contents.png
    40.4 KB · Views: 207
  • drivers64UEFI Contents.png
    drivers64UEFI Contents.png
    101.9 KB · Views: 159
  • config.plist
    7.4 KB · Views: 268
SMALL UPDATE

I am able to boot in Safe Mode from the SSD EFI, but I cannot mount said EFI to try and make modifications while in Safe Mode.

When NOT booting in SafeMode the verbose output gets stuck in different places; not always the same. (see attached)

But it usually happens right after a fast screen flick, which results in a visual glitch on screen (see attached).

From that point I have to hard-reboot.

I supposed I need to find a way to boot from something that allows me to mount EFI to try and make changes, but SafeMode is not that method.

Attachments

• IMG_2261.JPG
    IMG_2261.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2262.jpg
    IMG_2262.jpg
    559.6 KB · Views: 144
Further update to my saga —

After changing Primary Graphics Adapter setting in the BIOS from PCI Express to Onboard, and plugging the monitor via HDMI to the Motherboard's port, I was able to boot into a USB High Sierra Installer, using terminal.

Once in there, I was able to copy WhateverGreen.kext into the EFI > CLOVER > Kexts > Other folder.

Then, for safety, I copied both WhateverGreen.kext AND Lilu.kext into the S/L/E folder.

Now I am able to "boot" but to a Black screen with the mouse arrow (cursor?).

I guess that's progress. Now I'll try changing back to the video card and Display Port cable and see if I can boot with the new kexts.

I'll keep trying, but if someone knows how I can get the UI to show up, I would appreciate it very much.

Last edited:
Well, after my previous entry, I proceeded by disabling Onboard graphics and enabling PCI Express once again, to use the new AMD RX580 video card, now with the WhateverGreen.kext and Lily.kext in both EFI > CLOVER > Kexts > Other folder AND in System > Library > Extensions folder.

I then changed back to the Display Port cable and rebooted.

It worked perfectly!

I'm so excited to have been able to figure this one out on my own (with previous knowledge acquired here from the community, of course)

Now what's left -- which I really don't want to try on my own -- is to figure out if I absolutely need the two kexts inside the S/L/E folder, or if having them in CLOVER will be enough.

I prefer the injection from clover, as it is much cleaner than having to copy the kexts into the OS' system folder.

---

By the way, as I mentioned on my original post, the main reason for this transition from the NVIDIA card to the AMD Radeon card was to get better performance in Final Cut Pro X.

Well, I ran a complex test (the BruceX_Test) and with the NVIDIA GTX1050 card it took 154 seconds, but with the AMD RX580 it took 61 seconds, so 2.5 times faster.

Aside from that, scrubbing performance is night-and-day with the AMD when compared to the NVIDIA which was borderline unusable.

I'm also excited not having to thing about the webDrivers dance.

hi,did you solve your problem...1.delete emu form driver64uefi..2.disable internal graphic in bios . 3.check clover/graphic/radeondeinit=true..

hi,did you solve your problem...1.delete emu form driver64uefi..2.disable internal graphic in bios . 3.check clover/graphic/radeondeinit=true..
Yes, I did fix the issue last night. Thanks for the reply nonetheless.

1. System is running fine with EmuVariableUefi-64.efi in the EFI > CLOVER > drivers64UEFI folder. Do you know what exactly does this efi do?

2. Internal Graphics is already disabled in BIOS.

3. Do you mean the Graphics section of Clover Configurator (to edit config.plist)? If so, I cannot find any reference to radeondeinit=true in there. Could you please expand on this?

4. I have WhateverGreen.kext and Lily.kext in both EFI CLOVER partition and in S/L/E folder. Do you know if the system would work without those two kexts in S/L/E folder?

It's so tedious to try and fix things when the system stops booting that I would rather ask, in case someone knows, before trying it out.

Yes, I did fix the issue last night. Thanks for the reply nonetheless.

1. System is running fine with in the EFI > CLOVER > drivers64UEFI folder. Do you know what exactly does this efi do?

2. Internal Graphics is already disabled in BIOS.

3. Do you mean the Graphics section of Clover Configurator (to edit config.plist)? If so, I cannot find any reference to radeondeinit=true in there. Could you please expand on this?

4. I have WhateverGreen.kext and Lily.kext in both EFI CLOVER partition and in S/L/E folder. Do you know if the system would work without those two kexts in S/L/E folder?

It's so tedious to try and fix things when the system stops booting that I would rather ask, in case someone knows, before trying it out.
EmuVariableUefi-64.efi need if using nvidia graphic..you should use the latest clover configurator version and then you can see it in graphic section....if you use radeondeinit=true you can delete lilu and whatevergreen from s/l/e.

That was solid
EmuVariableUefi-64.efi need if using nvidia graphic..you should use the latest clover configurator version and then you can see it in graphic section....if you use radeondeinit=true you can delete lilu and whatevergreen from s/l/e.

That was very solid advice. It worked exactly as you had described it. No need to have the two files in S/L/E, which I like much better.

One thing I did notice is that when shutting down/restarting the system looses its high resolution and the desktop sort-of zooms in really large and blurry for a split moment, before the screen goes black. I imagine that's when the RadeonDeInit is doing its thing.

No major issue -- just an observation.

Thanks a lot for the help.

it is enough with WhateverGreen.kext and Lily.kext in EFI CLOVER partition

One additional question, if I may:

I've just notice that I have InjectIntel enabled in the Graphics section of config.plist

I should turn that off, right? I mean, integrated graphics is disabled and I'm not using the video ports in the MoBo.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 6.42.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 6.42.28 PM.png
    382.5 KB · Views: 181
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back