Contribute
Register

System does not start when another HDD is added. What should be considered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mac OS Lion 10.7.0
CPU
Core i3 2105
Graphics
Nvidia GTS 450
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all,
On my system ga-z68p-ds3 ver. 1 f9 with core i3 and Nvidia GTS 450, Lion 10.7 installs natively and works without any issues. Some days ago i found an old HDD in the desk's drawer: 200 GB Hitachi SATA. I shut down the system, added the drive and rebooted: the system didn't came up anymore - i always got the message "...please turn off your computer..". Anyway i reinstalled Lion with the 200 gb HDD present in the system. System boots for the first time VERY SLOWLY, shows both drives on the desktop, but after i install sound with multibeast and reboot, the system stays in BIOS mode. I think it searches for bootable partitions, but does not find it. My settings are put to first boot from USB-HDD, second from DVD-ROM and third from HDD. I see most of the forum users have posted that they use a SSD for Os and a HDD for Storage actually 2 x SATA devices. Are there any particular hardware settings or settings in the bios i have to consider to work with more than one HDD? And another question: does Lion pass the restrcition for 4k HDD without workaround of some kind or i should buy only 512b HDDs?
Thanks and cheers

Hi all,
On my system ga-z68p-ds3 ver. 1 f9 with core i3 and Nvidia GTS 450, Lion 10.7 installs natively and works without any issues. Some days ago i found an old HDD in the desk's drawer: 200 GB Hitachi SATA. I shut down the system, added the drive and rebooted: the system didn't came up anymore - i always got the message "...please turn off your computer..". Anyway i reinstalled Lion with the 200 gb HDD present in the system. System boots for the first time VERY SLOWLY, shows both drives on the desktop, but after i install sound with multibeast and reboot, the system stays in BIOS mode. I think it searches for bootable partitions, but does not find it. My settings are put to first boot from USB-HDD, second from DVD-ROM and third from HDD. I see most of the forum users have posted that they use a SSD for Os and a HDD for Storage actually 2 x SATA devices. Are there any particular hardware settings or settings in the bios i have to consider to work with more than one HDD? And another question: does Lion pass the restrcition for 4k HDD without workaround of some kind or i should buy only 512b HDDs?
Thanks and cheers
You need to also set the hard drive boot order with your OS X hdd first. You need to do this every time you connect another drive or remove a drive.

Thanks for the tipp. I will search in BIOS for an option to specify the Lion HDD as first device to boot.
Cheers

[SOLVED]System does not start when another HDD is added. What should be considered?

Yes, there was a setting in the BIOS to point a particular HDD to boot from. Thanks once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back