GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
intel I7 7th
Graphics
GTX 780
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello group !
First i would like to said that this forum is AMAZING !!!! a lot of info here to build my second Hack machine.
So my question is, (probably a simple one, but i dont know). Is there any difference if i set my system definition to iMac or Mac Pro or so, is there any performance to gain ?

My systems is:
Capture d’écran 2017-03-07 à 18.30.39.png

Everything is running smoothly, but i was hopping a little bit more performance on the render time in final cut pro.
the CPU is a i7 Intel's 7th Generation Kaby Lake CPU not the K version, and my mother board is a Gigabyte Z170x-UD5 TH.

I already have a iMac 27" with the same GPU (4gb) and it's faster in FCPX when i export video file.

Any tweak will be appreciate ! but i' not a IT tech !!!
Thanks.

Capture d’écran 2017-03-07 à 18.31.52.png

I don't think there are any performance gains from using different system definitions.

FALSE . From 3,1 to 4,1 it's a huge boost in rendering time.

Please elaborate.

I was always led to believe:
  • We should try to use system definitions that most closely match our hardware.
  • Deviating too far and using system definitions that do not match our hardware at all and we risk things not working as well.
  • If everything is working right, CPU/GPU speeds and performance shouldn't be any different when using one system definition vs another.
On my i7 3770 system, I tried iMac14,2 and iMac13,2 system definitions. The iMac13,2 system definition performed better than iMac14,2 but it was because with iMac14,2 things were not working right and the CPU never entered Turbo mode. If the iMac14,2 was working correctly, performance should have been the same since 1GHz is still 1GHz.

I view this instance as one system definition (iMac14,2) not working right with my hardware more than another definition (iMac13,2) performing better.

Last edited:
FALSE . From 3,1 to 4,1 it's a huge boost in rendering time.

Should be using iMac 13,2 for your hardware not Mac Pro 3,1 or 4,1.

Last edited:
Please elaborate.

I was always led to believe:
  • We should try to use system definitions that most closely match our hardware.
  • Deviating too far and using system definitions that do not match our hardware at all and we risk things not working as well.
  • If everything is working right, CPU/GPU speeds and performance shouldn't be any different when using one system definition vs another.
On my i7 3770 system, I tried iMac14,2 and iMac13,2 system definitions. The iMac13,2 system definition performed better than iMac14,2 but it was because with iMac14,2 things were not working right and the CPU never entered Turbo mode. If the iMac14,2 was working correctly, performance should have been the same since 1GHz is still 1GHz.

I view this instance as one system definition (iMac14,2) not working right with my hardware more than another definition (iMac13,2) performing better.

You will notice that Powermanagement will not work correctly. iMac 14,2 uses X86PlatformPlugin which is in the kernel Ivybridge uses AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement not X86PlatformPlugin.

So i should use iMac profile rather than MacPro ?

For Z170, yes, iMac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back