Contribute
Register

System definition in SMBIOS - does changing it increase performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI B85-G43
CPU
i5 4590
Graphics
GTX 960 2GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Windows Phone
Hi,

I've got Yosemite installed and it works, but every time I switch to Windows (I have 2 OSs installed) I see how slow my OS X setup is. From laggy windows resizing to long opening of the apps - it's just slower than Windows. Another thing is laggy animations when an external monitor is connected - even thought its resolution is similiar to my laptops internal monitor (1440x900 vs 1366x768) the whole OS gets laggy (laptop is closed, so only external monitor is working). It's connected via VGA. Additionally sometimes I can see that it works pretty well with that monitor (no lag), but mostly it does not (very laggy animations).

I read that some people experience increased performance after changing system definition to something different. In my case I could change it from Macbook Pro 8,1 to Air or Mac Mini, maybe? I don't really know if it would help and if it's any good. How do you think? Is there any way to check if my setup should be faster than it is?

Hi,

I've got Yosemite installed and it works, but every time I switch to Windows (I have 2 OSs installed) I see how slow my OS X setup is. From laggy windows resizing to long opening of the apps - it's just slower than Windows. Another thing is laggy animations when an external monitor is connected - even thought its resolution is similiar to my laptops internal monitor (1440x900 vs 1366x768) the whole OS gets laggy (laptop is closed, so only external monitor is working). It's connected via VGA. Additionally sometimes I can see that it works pretty well with that monitor (no lag), but mostly it does not (very laggy animations).

I read that some people experience increased performance after changing system definition to something different. In my case I could change it from Macbook Pro 8,1 to Air or Mac Mini, maybe? I don't really know if it would help and if it's any good. How do you think? Is there any way to check if my setup should be faster than it is?

Download patchmatic: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-MaciASL-patchmatic.
Extract the 'patchmatic' binary from the ZIP. Copy it to /usr/bin, such that you have the binary at /usr/bin/patchmatic.

In terminal,
Code:
rm -Rf ~/Downloads/RehabMan
mkdir ~/Downloads/RehabMan
cd ~/Downloads/RehabMan
patchmatic -extract

Post contents of Downloads/RehabMan directory (as ZIP).

Also, post ioreg: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

And output from:
Code:
kextstat|grep -y acpiplat
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu

Download patchmatic: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-MaciASL-patchmatic.
Extract the 'patchmatic' binary from the ZIP. Copy it to /usr/bin, such that you have the binary at /usr/bin/patchmatic.

In terminal,
Code:
rm -Rf ~/Downloads/RehabMan
mkdir ~/Downloads/RehabMan
cd ~/Downloads/RehabMan
patchmatic -extract

Post contents of Downloads/RehabMan directory (as ZIP).

Also, post ioreg: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html. Please, use the IORegistryExplorer v2.1 attached to the post! DO NOT reply with an ioreg from any other version of IORegistryExplorer.app.

And output from:
Code:
kextstat|grep -y acpiplat
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu

I downloaded OS-X-MaciASL-patchmatic-master.zip, but after extracting it I didn't find patchmatic binary. I googled it and found: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-maciasl-patchmatic/downloads
I downloaded RehabMan-patchmatic-2014-1122.zip and there was patchmatic binary, so I extracted it to /usr/bin.
Here's the result of running the commands you gave me:
View attachment dsdt.zip

And here's my IOREG:
View attachment ioreg of 6460B.ioreg

Here's the result of those 2 'kextstat...' lines in Terminal:
Code:
[FONT=Menlo]Last login: Sun Dec  7 18:26:31 on ttys000[/FONT][FONT=Menlo]Marcins-MacBook-Pro:~ marcin$ kextstat|grep -y acpiplat[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   13    2 0xffffff7f82103000 0x65000    0x65000    com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (3.1) <12 11 7 6 5 4 3 1>[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Marcins-MacBook-Pro:~ marcin$ kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   21    0 0xffffff7f81dae000 0x2b000    0x2b000    com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (218.0.0) <7 6 5 4 3 1>[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   30    0 0xffffff7f81da9000 0x3000     0x3000     com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient (218.0.0) <7 6 5 4 3 1>[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Marcins-MacBook-Pro:~ marcin$ [/FONT]

I don't know if it's important, but I have increased VRAM from 256MB to 512MB using RevoGirls guide from her blog to get rid of freezes and glitches on HD 3000.

I downloaded OS-X-MaciASL-patchmatic-master.zip, but after extracting it I didn't find patchmatic binary. I googled it and found: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-maciasl-patchmatic/downloads

Or you could have read the README.

I downloaded RehabMan-patchmatic-2014-1122.zip and there was patchmatic binary, so I extracted it to /usr/bin.
Here's the result of running the commands you gave me:
View attachment 117182

And here's my IOREG:
View attachment 117183

Here's the result of those 2 'kextstat...' lines in Terminal:
Code:
[FONT=Menlo]Last login: Sun Dec  7 18:26:31 on ttys000[/FONT][FONT=Menlo]Marcins-MacBook-Pro:~ marcin$ kextstat|grep -y acpiplat[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   13    2 0xffffff7f82103000 0x65000    0x65000    com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (3.1) <12 11 7 6 5 4 3 1>[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Marcins-MacBook-Pro:~ marcin$ kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   21    0 0xffffff7f81dae000 0x2b000    0x2b000    com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (218.0.0) <7 6 5 4 3 1>[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]   30    0 0xffffff7f81da9000 0x3000     0x3000     com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient (218.0.0) <7 6 5 4 3 1>[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Marcins-MacBook-Pro:~ marcin$ [/FONT]

I don't know if it's important, but I have increased VRAM from 256MB to 512MB using RevoGirls guide from her blog to get rid of freezes and glitches on HD 3000.

I don't see anything wrong. Patching the kext is probably not a good idea. Better would be to add RAM to the laptop.

If there's nothing wrong, maybe I should change my system definition, then? Maybe it can improve the performance.

If there's nothing wrong, maybe I should change my system definition, then? Maybe it can improve the performance.

Like I said. Add RAM to your laptop instead of patching the kext.

Like I said. Add RAM to your laptop instead of patching the kext.

If I could, I would do it right away. Unfortunately it costs some money - which I can't really spend on it. What's more it wouldn't be nice if it turned out that after adding RAM (or rather changing it, because now i have 2x2GB and all slots are taken, I would have to buy 2x4GB) the situation did not really change.

Even before patching the kext the performance was similiar. I have 4GB of RAM - just like 'cheaper' Macbooks Air, that's why I thought I should maybe change my system definition to Macbook Air.

If I could, I would do it right away. Unfortunately it costs some money - which I can't really spend on it. What's more it wouldn't be nice if it turned out that after adding RAM (or rather changing it, because now i have 2x2GB and all slots are taken, I would have to buy 2x4GB) the situation did not really change.

Even before patching the kext the performance was similiar. I have 4GB of RAM - just like 'cheaper' Macbooks Air, that's why I thought I should maybe change my system definition to Macbook Air.

I doubt changing smbios will help. You can try what you want...

I doubt changing smbios will help. You can try what you want...

If you say it won't help I won't do it. There's always a risk of breaking something in the OS and I don't really have time to reinstall everything again. You've got a lot bigger experience than me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back