Contribute
Register

System continues to run after sleeping/shutting down (POLL)

Does your system continue to run after sleep or shut down?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 (U1E)
CPU
i5-2500 3.3GHz
Graphics
XFX Radeon HD 6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
There have been some posts, mine included, that indicate a problem with the system not shutting down or sleeping properly. It's a situation of the fans continuing to run.

To get to the bottom of this we should figure out how many system's are affected.

My problems are explained here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=58660

Other problems can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=58251

And here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=60071

I'm beginning to wonder if the Java for OS X Lion 2012-002 Security Update (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5228) caused an issue...

EDIT: It would probably be helpful if people list what changes were made to their system shortly before this problem started. Mine are listed in the link above.

I've ran into this issue since installing my graphics card (sapphire radeon HD68700 and an extra HDD (1TB Barracuda 7200.12).

I've tried just about every suggestion I could find searching around. The only thing that seems to fix the shutdown is to recover my bios from the backup.

I found this post on a boot cycling issue on Gigabyte boards. Often I will get boot cycles when shutdown does not complete.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1034724/gigabyte-p67-z68-boot-cycling-problem/430 look at post from glddust98

reseting my bios this way hasn't completely solved my problem and doesn't fix it everytime. It ran well for a day and shutdown fast everytime. But then today the problem came back for me. And simply repeating this process didn't fix it. So repeated the process again and left my bios with minimal alterations for re-installing lion fresh again.

Currently I have wiped and reinstalled lion, and run multibeast with the minimal options I need. And this time I've set the computer to never sleep to see if it is related.
I can now shutdown no problems but for how long who knows. What I'm trying to find out now is what's causing the problem.

Edit: Tempted fate by posting. Tried shutting down again and problem is back.

This happens to me on sleep but only if I connect a USB 3.0 device to the USB 3.0 connector.

Quick update on where Im at.

Out of complete desperation I decided to tear my machine down.
Leaving only my SSD, MB and PS. I also removed the cmos battery to reset it.
Then I repeated the bios reset and booted in using the onboard graphics (changed back to mac mini definition)

Shutdown has now been working perfectly since yesterday. I'm going to leave it one more day until I begin installing the other components one at a time. This is because my shutdown problem has been intermittent.

One thing I have noticed though is through my countless re-installs of lion, I've noticed that I have used EvOreboot kext this time, and it show's up on my terminal kextstat. Although I had shutdown working for a couple of months before without this kext, and adding this kext when the shutdown problems started on my initial install proved unsuccessful. (so unsure if it is needed or not, I used the latest user dsdt)

Whats concerning me now is that my kernel log is throwing up errors at me which were not present on my initial install (cloned onto second HDD) so now I'm looking to fix them or try cloning back to my previous setup. Just unsure If the backup is what caused me the problems to begin with or not.

If anyone has run into any of the errors below and has some advice that would be great. I'm just beginning to search around now for fixes. Everything seem to be working, sound, internet, app store, itunes etc

[0]: DRMStatus: iTunes/Apple Store Content Access Problem. Content playback may be disabled on this computer. You can continue to use the machine, but you should contact an Apple support representative. ErrorCode: 8877652

kernel[0]: Sound assertion ""ERROR: EFI ROM did not publish 'hda-gfx' associative property!\n"" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleHDA/AppleHDACodecGeneric.cpp" at line 331 goto ExitError

[0]: IOSurface: buffer allocation size is zero
May 16 18:34:47: --- last message repeated 34 times ---

kernel[0]: [en0:rtl8168_tx_interrupt] *** Unexpected fragmented packed !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back