CPU
i7-7700
Graphics
GeForce GTX 1060
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
First off, I wasn't sure if these goes here since I am still "Planning/Buying" or under the Graphics which is Post Installation.

My question has to do about switching graphics cards. Is it necessary and is it possible?? I would rather not build a separate gaming rig as I can't fit a second computer in my AV rack and I do not want a stand alone setup.

Scenario: I am building a multi-purpose hackintosh that will primarily serve as a HTPC, so a HHTPC. I will be running Plex and/or Kodi, iTunes, some kind of photo manager, Indigo Domotics home controller, a NVR to be determined and maybe a database (for home use such as managing contacts, favorite recipes and other silly home use), etc. However, I do want to have some gaming capability on the PC. I am planning on adding at GTX 980 card at some point later on.

My question is can I use the onboard graphics card for main usage and keep the GTX off, and then switch to the GTX when I want to play a game? The HHTPC will be routed through my Yamaha receiver so I would run two HDMI from the HHTPC to the receiver (HDMI5 and HDMI6). I would then use HDMI5 with the HD530 onboard graphics for primary and use HDMI6 with the GTX980 for gaming.

My intent is the on board graphics uses far less power, generates less heat and does not require the fans to run as loud. So my thinking is when I am not using the GTX980, all of this shuts off. I don't know that this is how it would actually go down.

So, will this work? Will OS X support this? ...or will the GTX980 just run in idle while not in use, consume power, generate heat and run my fans...even when not in use.

Thanks, Chris

What you are proposing sounds like a pain to implement if it's even possible. You can switch to use either the IGP or GTX 980 as main GPU in BIOS every time you want to switch. But I think that even if you use the IGP as your primary, the GTX 980 will still be receiving power.

On my reference GTX 980, I don't notice it consuming too much power at all when idle or when watching some videos. The fan is inaudible to me. It's a very efficient video card.

The GTX 980 Ti is a different beast. When I tested one, it generated a ton of heat even when idling.

Last edited:
What you are proposing sounds like a pain to implement if it's even possible. You can switch to use either the IGP or GTX 980 as main GPU in BIOS every time you want to switch. But I think that even if you use the IGP as your primary, the GTX 980 will still be receiving power.

On my reference GTX 980, I don't notice it consuming too much power consumption at all when idle or when watching some videos. The fan is inaudible to me. It's a very efficient video card.

The GTX 980 Ti is a different beast. When I tested one, it generated a ton of heat even when idling.

Great, thanks for the comments. I won't be pulling the trigger on this unless/until I find a game a like. It is quite possible it will have to be in Windows anyway. Thanks for your observations, sounds like it is not an issue anyway. I'm just trying to figure out what is the most I can do with this unit. Luckily, I was not looking at the Ti, they wont fit in my case anyway. If I get into any gaming that requires that much power, it will have to be a dedicated build and will have to wait for the kids to be older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back