Contribute
Register

Switching from a 2014 15 inch Mid Macbook Pro Retina to a Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus X99 Deluxe OSX Yosemite 10.10.5
CPU
I7 5930K
Graphics
Zotac GTX 980 ti
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Ok, let me start off saying that I'm a full time freelance graphic designer and I use my mac for about 10 hours a day. Any way here is the thing, I've been thinking for a while to get a Gaming PC but since I'm working so much I will not be using a lot this PC since I don't have a lot of time to play.

So, I came with the idea of selling my Macbook Pro and move to a Hackintosh because for me it didn't make much sense to build a Gaming PC ($1200) just for playing maybe an hour a day and then sit there all the time. So, for me it makes more sense that this Gaming PC is also my main computer with Mac OS X installed, also I love the idea of expandability since this freaking new Macbook Pro's you can't upgrade anything (just the ssd).

This will be my first Hackintosh, I don't mind at all messing with the computer (fixing things).

Any way, my question is: Do you guy think this is a good idea?:thumbup:

Ok, let me start off saying that I'm a full time freelance graphic designer and I use my mac for about 10 hours a day. Any way here is the thing, I've been thinking for a while to get a Gaming PC but since I'm working so much I will not be using a lot this PC since I don't have a lot of time to play.

So, I came with the idea of selling my Macbook Pro and move to a Hackintosh because for me it didn't make much sense to build a Gaming PC ($1200) just for playing maybe an hour a day and then sit there all the time. So, for me it makes more sense that this Gaming PC is also my main computer with Mac OS X installed, also I love the idea of expandability since this freaking new Macbook Pro's you can't upgrade anything (just the ssd).

This will be my first Hackintosh, I don't mind at all messing with the computer (fixing things).

Any way, my question is: Do you guy think this is a good idea?:thumbup:
Build the PC-Mac, but wait a while to make sure it is going to be stable enough for a work machine before selling the rMBP.

Thanks for your answer! So, you don't think is safe enough to do that? The thing is that I need to sell the Macbook Pro Retina in order to get the money. In terms of risk agains my daily work I'm mentally prepared of using my wife older Macbook Pro and in worst case scenario I can use windows to finish any work since I'm just using Photoshop, Indesign and Illustrator.

Thanks for your answer! So, you don't think is safe enough to do that? The thing is that I need to sell the Macbook Pro Retina in order to get the money. In terms of risk agains my daily work I'm mentally prepared of using my wife older Macbook Pro and in worst case scenario I can use windows to finish any work since I'm just using Photoshop, Indesign and Illustrator.
In that case you might go ahead and sell.

Before making final decision, look at Golden Builds and User Builds forums for other builds using your apps, then compare parts lists with the Buyer's Guide and put together a parts list to fit your budget that will meet your goals of a stable work platform/sometime gaming build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back