Contribute
Register

Switch Intel 6th to Hackintosh

1) Yes, the Radeon RX 6600 would work in Sonoma and with the Apps you wish to use. How well the Skylake system would work with these apps is something I can't confirm, as I don't have an RX 6600 dGPU.

2) The DDR4 2133MHz speed is normal for a Skylake System. The Kaby Lake system would use a maximum of 2400MHz RAM, so not much of an increase.

3)Your current 6th Gen CPU i7-6700 is not much different to a Kaby Lake i7-7700, about 5%-8% increase is what you would expect see.

Using your current CPU on a Kaby Lake (Intel 200-series) motherboard is possible, but the benefits might not be as large as you would think/expect for the money expended. As the 6th Gen CPU controller would still limit the RAM speed to 2133MHz. Also you would struggle to find a brand new Kaby Lake motherboard at a reasonable price, given the current Intel Motherboard/CPU series are now at 14th Gen.

You would need to upgrade the whole system to the 8th/9th Gen Coffee Lake (Intel 300 series) in order to make use of significantly faster RAM 3000/3200MHz etc. This is not something you can do with your current system. Again finding a new Coffee Lake system at a reasonable price would be difficult.

4) Yes, you can create a USB installer for macOS in Windows. There are numerous guides for this. I would recommend you read and follow the Dortania OpenCore guide.

You would need to read through the OpenCore guide a couple of times in order for you to understand what it means and to see what is required of you. Some things you can get help from others, i.e. setting up your OpenCore EFI. Some things only you can undertake as you need to have the system physically to hand. Downloading a macOS installation app, creating the USB installer, USB configuration and changing Bios settings being some of the main items in the 'only you can do' section.

Thank you for your help, kindness and patience! =).

Yesterday I was reading Dortania's OpenCore guide and watching the step-by-step process in a several-hour YouTube tutorial... it seems "simple", but you have to be attentive and careful with what you touch.

Another question I have... Can you recommend a WiFi and BT PCIE compatible with Hackintosh? I have seen that the ethernet chipset I have (motherboard) is compatible, but I believe that neither WiFi (TP-Link) and BT (an unbranded USB) are not.

Once again, thank you for everything!

Fenvi WiFi/BT PCIe card is the best option for macOS up to and including Ventura, as this gives you the simplest way to obtain the full gamut of Apple Services. The card linked below uses a natively supported WiFi/BT chipset.

If you are running macOS Sonoma you are best off using an Intel AX210 or similar WiFi/BT card. These are not natively supported, do not provide all the Apple WiFi/BT services but do a reasonable job nonetheless.

Thanks for your help.

I have purchased the Fenvi FV-T919 PCIE for WiFi and BT, but I will keep the iGPU for the CPU until I am able to understand and perform Hackintosh.

If I can get it to work, instead of buying a Mac Mini M2 I will change the motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM and SSD.

My i7-6700 CPU, with iGPU HD Graphics 530 iGPU, limits me to installing Mac OS 12 Monterey, is that correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your help.

I have purchased the Fenvi FV-T919 PCIE for WiFi and BT, but I will keep the iGPU for the CPU until I am able to understand and perform Hackintosh.

If I can get it to work, instead of buying a Mac Mini M2 I will change the motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM and SSD.

My i7-6700 CPU, with iGPU HD Graphics 530 iGPU, limits me to installing Mac OS 12 Monterey, is that correct?
As per rules, please update your hardware profile

Yes, that is correct.

If you want to install Ventura or Sonoma you need to use a compatible AMD graphics card, disable the IGPU in the Bios and use the SMBIOS for an iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 instead of the iMac17,1 you would normally use with a Skylake CPU/IGPU.

What is the best GPU I can buy to make Hackintosh?

For example, I found Gigabyte Radeon RX 6600 Eagle 8G for $200 (second hand).

With my current equipment and replacing only the GPU, could I run Ventura OS, Final Cut and Logic smoothly and stably?

If this were possible, after a few months checking the compatibility and fluidity, I would change the motherboard for a B365M and the RAM for DDR4 2666MHz and the whole process would not take me more than $300 (with second-hand equipment).

Thanks in advance =).
How much would a new one be for you? 200 USD doesn't look significantly cheaper.

Back