2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 20th Anniv. Mac
  2. iBook
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Please enlighten me, esteemed group.

I have El Capitan running on a Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3 motherboard in EFI mode. Perfecto. Easiest install ever. This motherboard has an i5 2400 processor (1155). I found it on the roadside in an Antec case.

My previous Hackintosh is an ASUS P8B75-M motherboard - previously running Yosemite – it has an i5 3470 processor (1155). And FWIW, in an identical Antec case.

Last week the Asus threw a system drive and went into a nose dive. I couldn't get the machine up and running – flashed BIOS etc, all to no avail. So I reverted to the Gigabyte board, installing El Capitan. I had work to do and needed to get back to it ASAP. Just now I've put Yosemite back onto the Asus and it is happy to comply. i.e. running fine.

The 3470 is a better processor than the 2400 - and uses a good 25W less power. So I want to swap the processors over. 3470 in the Gigabyte and 2400 in the Asus. Yeah, I know the UEFI of the Asus may be a better option for Clover boot loader, but the Gigabyte seems to behave better, and is running perfectly using Clover EFI. Plus, the Asus has always been somewhat quirky. The Asus will become a backup machine/games machine.

So the question is, if I put the 3470 into the Gigabyte board, will I have to build a new system for the newly configures machine? Or, will it simply boot up from its current system drive with the newer (3470) processor?

Please enlighten me, esteemed group.

I have El Capitan running on a Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3 motherboard in EFI mode. Perfecto. Easiest install ever. This motherboard has an i5 2400 processor (1155). I found it on the roadside in an Antec case.

My previous Hackintosh is an ASUS P8B75-M motherboard - previously running Yosemite – it has an i5 3470 processor (1155). And FWIW, in an identical Antec case.

Last week the Asus threw a system drive and went into a nose dive. I couldn't get the machine up and running – flashed BIOS etc, all to no avail. So I reverted to the Gigabyte board, installing El Capitan. I had work to do and needed to get back to it ASAP. Just now I've put Yosemite back onto the Asus and it is happy to comply. i.e. running fine.

The 3470 is a better processor than the 2400 - and uses a good 25W less power. So I want to swap the processors over. 3470 in the Gigabyte and 2400 in the Asus. Yeah, I know the UEFI of the Asus may be a better option for Clover boot loader, but the Gigabyte seems to behave better, and is running perfectly using Clover EFI. Plus, the Asus has always been somewhat quirky. The Asus will become a backup machine/games machine.

So the question is, if I put the 3470 into the Gigabyte board, will I have to build a new system for the newly configures machine? Or, will it simply boot up from its current system drive with the newer (3470) processor?

It's possible to go from Sandy to Ivy Bridge without reinstalling (I've done it). Give it a try and see what happens. Worst case scenario is that you'll have to reinstall OS X.

It's possible to go from Sandy to Ivy Bridge without reinstalling (I've done it). Give it a try and see what happens. Worst case scenario is that you'll have to reinstall OS X.

Good point, nobodynose. I'd not twigged to that difference. I didn't actually install the Sandy Bridge SSDT option with the 2400 install either.

You're right. I'll have to try it to know.

Thanks for your response.

My best guess is that you will have no issues, besides any other differences that may exist between the two motherboards (such as audio or Ethernet).

Retaining motherboard for current system. Only change is the processor for the candidate system drive.

I'll take the punt (and the time) to swap the processors after I've confirmed the Asus will accept El Capitan.

thanks again.

Retaining motherboard for current system. Only change is the processor for the candidate system drive.

I'll take the punt (and the time) to swap the processors after I've confirmed the Asus will accept El Capitan.

thanks again.

Oh, then I don't think you'll run into any issues, since you said you don't have the power management SSDT in place for the Sandy Bridge i5. Make sure your Gigabyte motherboard has the most recent BIOS revision installed to support the Ivy Bridge processor.

Oh, then I don't think you'll run into any issues, since you said you don't have the power management SSDT in place for the Sandy Bridge i5. Make sure your Gigabyte motherboard has the most recent BIOS revision installed to support the Ivy Bridge processor.

Brilliant... you've instilled me with a good degree of confidence. I'll let you know the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back