Contribute
Register

Swap Hard Drive from existing Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I currently am running Snow Leopard Vanilla Kernel 10.6.2 on my original hack build. G31M-ES2L board, q8300 cpu, Nvidia 9600GT. I am building a new Core I5 750, Gigabyte P55M-UD2, Radeon 4850. Will I have to completely wipe and reinstall or can I just swap the hard drive into the new machine? Since 10.6.2 supports the processor and graphics card will this work?

tjsadler said:
I currently am running Snow Leopard Vanilla Kernel 10.6.2 on my original hack build. G31M-ES2L board, q8300 cpu, Nvidia 9600GT. I am building a new Core I5 750, Gigabyte P55M-UD2, Radeon 4850. Will I have to completely wipe and reinstall or can I just swap the hard drive into the new machine? Since 10.6.2 supports the processor and graphics card will this work?

Sure- it'll work as long as you have the proper kexts in /Extra. Long is there isn't anything system-specific on the drive or in /System/Library/Extensions. Your system could even be ready without any modifications. Let us know how it goes! :mrgreen:

This did not work at all. Ended up doing a fresh install and then migrating my information over via migration assistant. Actually couldn't boot Win7 on my other drive either due to the change to AHCI. Had to reinstall there as well.

Kind of off topic, but I also have a G31M-ES2L which currently has 10.5.8 on it. I want to update it to 10.6.X and could not find a guide on insanelymac. Could you recommend a guide ?

When I built the machine I installed 10.5.0 onto an external drive connected to my iMac, updated to 10.5.8 then used UInstaler to add EFI etc to the drive. Connected the drive to the Gigabyte board and it booted first time. Simplest install I have ever done.

Thanks,

Nick

tjsadler said:
Actually couldn't boot Win7 on my other drive either due to the change to AHCI. Had to reinstall there as well.

thats where the gigabyte sata ports come in handy - attach the windows boot drive to one of those, set those to IDE in the BIOS and set the intel ports to AHCI, then boot with no other drives attached.

once windows detects and installs the AHCI drivers for the intel ports, power the machine down reattach the HD to one of the AHCI intel SATA ports and repeat the process for the gigabyte ports setting them from IDE to AHCI and going thru same procedure to get drivers installed for those.

Crucial said:
Kind of off topic, but I also have a G31M-ES2L which currently has 10.5.8 on it. I want to update it to 10.6.X and could not find a guide on insanelymac. Could you recommend a guide ?

When I built the machine I installed 10.5.0 onto an external drive connected to my iMac, updated to 10.5.8 then used UInstaler to add EFI etc to the drive. Connected the drive to the Gigabyte board and it booted first time. Simplest install I have ever done.

Thanks,

Nick

Yeah actually
http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/guide-re ... g31m-t3672

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back