Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MicroSoft Surface Book 2
CPU
i7-8650U
Graphics
UHD 620 + GTX 1050- disabled
Hi,

I'm looking for some suggestions on two problems I am currently trying to fix for running Mojave on my surface book 2, 13 inch.
I really hope I've attached the right debug files.

I've also included a few pictures of hackintool and activity monitor.

My base clover setup is 620 from @RehabMan (thank you!)
With (I believe) only three changes:
- platform-id 0x59160000
- setting framebuffer-unifiedmem (not needed, works without too)
- Inject EDID

* (SOLVED Post #2) Problem 1: CPU runs at max and gets hot.

By chance I found out that running CleanMyMac's 'Clean RAM' option seems to solve the issue.
After running it, the CPU starts to behave normal (temperature and clock).
This makes me think maybe a few processes are using the CPU non-stop?
I noticed in the Activity Monitor things like 'loginWindow' use up a lot of cpu before running CleanMyMac.

Question 1: Can I reset 'loginWindow' myself? (I tried killing the process, but that logs me out of Mojave)

Question 2: Can somebody point me in a direction of things I should do or can try to not have to rely on CleanMyMac to resolve this issue properly
?

* Problem 2: The iGPU (uhd 620) only works on external monitor.

I'm happy to have Hw acceleration when I plug a monitor into the USB-C port.
But the internal monitor is black (with the backlight on, resolution: 3000x2000).
I've tried to do an EDID patch in config.plist by grabbing the EDID in Windows (And also Ubuntu...both are the same).
It did not resolve the black internal screen.

The bios does not provided an option for setting dmvt.

Hackintool appears to list the internal monitor correctly.
When running with fake id 0x12345678 the internal monitor works correctly (no hw accell).

I've not been able to confirm 100% that the internal monitor uses eDP.
I suspect it might, but the intel gadget does not work on my Windows so I could not confirm.
Hackintool lists it as lvds (image included).

Question 3: Any suggestions on things I can try to see if the internal monitor can be made to work?

Thank you!

Attachments

• debug_23751.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Internal screen working.
This post can be marked solved

Will try to write up more details for other surface book 2 users.

In short:

Use @RehabMan 620 config.
Then disable the framebuffer patching in there. Then insert the minStolen patch under kextToPatch.

This 10.14 patch can be found in in rehabman’s git under deprecated. It works perfect for surface book 2. No need to dmvt patch bios.

If you want to try dmvt patch anyway, you can download the latest surface book firmware from Microsoft.
Extract the files from the msi via msiexec. You will find a uefi folder that has a bin for the bios.

Then follow the dmvt patching guides. I stopped going down this route so cannot guarantee it works. I did not want to risk bricking my system.

I still have to look into gpu disabling (currently via bios) and a few other things. Will come back to contribute a guide once I have those things working. Just wanted to give other sb owners a little hope that Mojave can work with hardware accelleration and internal screen!

Last edited:
Use @RehabMan 620 config.
Then disable the framebuffer patching in there. Then insert the minStolen patch under kextToPatch.

This 10.14 patch can be found in in rehabman’s git under deprecated. It works perfect for surface book 2. No need to dmvt patch bios.

Yeah,... it is relatively well known that with the Surface computers, you must use the minStolenSize patch and that patching for DVMT-prealloc 32mb doesn't work. Probably due to the screen resolution...

Fighting!waiting for your GUIDE.

@Johno6

Hope this helps:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back