EVGA Nvidia GT 240
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys,

I have been following your forum for a couple months and am very interested in building a hackintosh. I am working on a minimal budget and have managed to find a GA-P55A-UD3 for $80 and an Intel i5 750 for $140, which i thought was pretty good. I could really use some ideas for the rest of the hardware. I am very inexperienced in building computers but and pretty software smart, i think. So, to the point.

Is 500w PS enough for this MOBO and CPU?
Does the case really matter? Any ideas?
RAM wise, i figured I would just follow the compatibility chart for the MOBO.
Best Video Card for the price?
I have an old Sony DVD writer, will it do?
HardDrive?

I know this is pretty ridiculous, but I am extremely interested in getting this done, am willing learn in order to get it done, and would be happy with any help you guys could provide....

Thanks!

i've the same motherboard and cpu. if you're budget conscious, get yourself 4gb of 1333 mhz ram, maybe a 9400GT graphics card. search the forums for other low-cost but compatible components. good luck.

If you only plan on having one or two harddrives in it, it should be enough.
Google PSU calculator.

RAM wise, i figured I would just follow the compatibility chart for the MOBO.
That'll work.

Best Video Card for the price?
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/11/ ... cards.html
Google the individual cards to get some performance benchmarks.

I have an old Sony DVD writer, will it do?
If it's SATA it might/should. MacMan uses the Sony 24X AD-7260S-0B, and so do I - it works pretty good.

HardDrive?
Depending on your budget, you could get an SSD disk to contain the system, and a second one to contain your music, picture, videos whatever.

I have a Corsair F120 (120GB - which is more than enough for the system) and a Seagate ST31000528AS (1 TB)

I know this is pretty ridiculous, but I am extremely interested in getting this done, am willing learn in order to get it done, and would be happy with any help you guys could provide....

Great attitude, just brace yourself - the thing probably won't work 100% at first. You have to spend a lot of time researching a fiddling with it.
A lot of the essential things like Multibeast, Kexts and DSDT are rarely described at a beginners stage (Except Tonymac's posts), because it's taken for granted that you know it already.
And when you search for the essential knowledge you will see 100 posts saying "This has been discussed before, just search for xxxx" but only 1 with some valid information. Just keep digging :)

Thanks for the info guys. I'll keep you updated on my progress and am sure you'll be hearing about more issues I've run into. Thanks again. So I guess what case you buy doesn't really matter since I didn't get a responder for that? :crazy:

Jratnieks said:
Thanks for the info guys. I'll keep you updated on my progress and am sure you'll be hearing about more issues I've run into. Thanks again. So I guess what case you buy doesn't really matter since I didn't get a responder for that? :crazy:
mac-in-a-box.jpg
:-D

Jratnieks said:

Hello

dont forget to look for Ampere on the 12V Lines. Your PSU can have 1500W but when there are not enough ampere. Its not so good.

I've used an 550w Psu with Phenom X4 955, raid and physx and newer got problems.

azton said:
Jratnieks said:
mac-in-a-box.jpg
:-D

Hmm... I see the problem. You connected the ethernet into the monitor port. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back