Contribute
Register

Super Editing Computer Build list advise (FCPX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're going to need a lot more disk space for FCP X work if that is your intended usage. I'd budget for a 2-3TB hard disk as well.
I have two external raid drives for editing. Both are Thunderbolt so important I can get these working if possible. However the WD My Book 8GB raid can use usb3 if can't get thunderbolt working. I hear thunderbolt can be a bit hit and miss in the past on Hackintosh's, hoping its more stable now?

I have two external raid drives for editing. Both are Thunderbolt so important I can get these working if possible. However the WD My Book 8GB raid can use usb3 if can't get thunderbolt working. I hear thunderbolt can be a bit hit and miss in the past on Hackintosh's, hoping its more stable now?

No idea on Thunderbolt on Hackintoshs as my motherboard doesn't support it and I can't afford the enclosures anyway :)

I'd read carefully on the Thunderbolt stuff and really check what you are trying to do. Its always good to have a plan B ready just in case.

Rob

I'd read carefully on the Thunderbolt stuff and really check what you are trying to do. Its always good to have a plan B ready just in case.
Absolutely. My fall back plan is to drop FCPX go the Premier way on PC. I'd just get a top notch graphics card to swap for the AMDs. I refuse to pay for another iMac again after they hiked the price £400 overnight after the MacBook Pro launch. That made my blood boil and there's just no way I will support a firm that does that to its customers.

FCPX is a sideline for me, we're a mobile app development company and we use our Macs for development. We're all UNIX hackers deep down, so we actually spend most of the time working on the command line :)

PC's are not an option for us for development (thank god) as Windows isn't a patch on Unix for heavy duty development. Also we need Xcode so thats the final nail in the coffin. We know FCP X quite well so will stick with it for the moment.

However Apple is really annoying us as well, we hate the new laptop as it doesn't have USB ports. We want four dedicated USB ports on a laptop so we can plug four mobile phones in and drive round (we do traffic apps). The new Mac requires sodding dongles.

We want to buy an upgraded old style Mac Pro tower where we can shove in at least four 4TB disks on SATA, dual highish powerered CPU's and GPU's, lots of memory and be able to shove it under the desk and leave it there. Some of us think nothing of doing data queries on 60-90GB databases. We want these databases local as we are working on them. But will Apple sell me a 2016 version of a 2012 Mac Pro, No! Thats the reason I have a Hack, because Apple won't sell me a proper professional tower unit. If Apple builds it and its fairly reasonably priced, then I'll buy it. I'm not buying the trash can version as its useless for my needs, and from talking to a lot of other people, they don't like it either. Many of the coding shops we talk to still use their old Mac towers as they are a better machine than the new trash can Macs.

Apple has always gauged its customers, however if you want a worse supplier, go Oracle. They don't just shaft you financially, they sue you as well. Never, ever buy Oracle unless you have bottomless pockets.

Anyway, rant off.

Question: Making a unibeast startup USB boot drive. With my setup should I pick UEFI Boot mode or legacy?

I used UEFI Thanks. I have the usb stick ready now, just need to build the computer to use it on now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back