Contribute
Register

Successfull install but SOMETIMES reboot loop?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68XP-UD3
CPU
i5-2500k @ 3,4 Ghz
Graphics
MSI Nvidia GTX970
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys

so i am having an issue that i didn't see anywhere else here in the support forum for El Capitan.
I managed to get my hack up and running with the tonymac clover guide (specs in signature, only used guide's kexts and my OLD ssdt.aml from the Yosemite install) BUT i am having a strange and really annoying problem:
Sometimes i get a reboot loop while booting and the apple logo appears. It just shuts down and restart everything.
The funny thing is: booting works then every 3rd or 4th time wihtout a problem. I tried several cpu power management flags and tried disabling my nvidia graphics with nv_disable, nvda_drv and so on. I really can't figure out WHY it sometimes just reboots!

So i hope anyone here can help me figuring this out... i made a video of -v because making a photo is "too slow". The code just immediatly disappears because of the reboot. I attach the last image of -v.
Here is the video (if that helps anyway..): https://www.dropbox.com/s/efqwmcekllaka2c/Video 08.10.15, 08 04 25.mov?dl=0

I upgraded from Yosemite. Is it possible that i "migrated" some wrong setting despite deleting every kext? Could it be the ssdt?
Should i try making a clean install?

I'm lost here. Hope you guys can help fixing this annoying issue.. THANK YOU!

Attachments

• Foto 08.10.15, 08 06 50.jpg
    Foto 08.10.15, 08 06 50.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 209
Hi,

here same problem... and with Yosemite too.

Maybe it's for my MSI GTX 960 card...? Often i see MSI owners with same problem.
But no one seems to have solved yet or use DVI/HDMI port and the problem does not occur maybe...
I using DVI to VGA adapter... my monitor not support other connections.

When I installed El capitan the first time, the problem seem disappeared, and I thought a better compatibility with the MSI board or Nvidia web driver.

But the problem reappeared after audio patching with CloverALC110 script to enable it.
Since then the problem has come back ... or i think so...

I'll have to try and reinstall without audio patch again...

cstre, are you also using a VGA monitor? I gather there can be issues with non-digital connections.

Have you actually installed the Nvidia Web drivers?

Maybe i have solved in this moment... YEAH!

Read last post :)

Nothing... problem is back after two days... i dunno why..

i had two lucky days?
Damn... :(

Nothing... problem is back after two days... i dunno why..

i had two lucky days?
Damn... :(

try MacPro3,1 instead of iMac in SMBIOS, and also use only nvda_drv=1

get rid of all other arg flags and post results.. i was running into random issues because i had too much going on in the clover plist after I installed my ALC892 stuff.

What i did was reinstall clover, removed all 10.x folders in the kexts folder of EFI partition except for "10.11" and "Other". Also made sure that AppleIntelE1000e.kext, AhterosE2200Ethernet.kext, FakeSMC.kext, and RealtekRTL8111.kext were in both folders (your kexts may vary as this only applied to my MSI mobo).

From there, I used Clover Configurator to set my SMBIOS and add the nvda_drv=1 arg flag. Left everything else alone.

I have the GTX 960 also and didn't need the NVIDIA Single option. Leave the graphics section alone entirely.

Now my system boots solid with only nvda_drv=1

I'm having the same problem, I don't think it's because of ur graphic cards, I'm using a gtx770.

I have this problem maybe 1-2 times a week at the morning. So sometimes I need to boot 2-3 times. First time Kernel Panic, second time "This System was automatically rebooted after panic" and then it just works. I don't know why.

I ordered a new monitor cable, because I think thats the problem. I'm using one monitor with DisplayPort and one with DVI. One of my Monitor is always on Blackscreen when I start my Hackintosh. I have to power it down and up again to get it to work.

I will let you know if this fix my problem.

Hi all,

Since I built my hack in early December I have had a very similar problem with reboot loops.
I didn't have any problem at the very beginning, but then it started to get worse and worse, up to the point I couldn't start the computer anymore. (I then did some disk repair from the USB bootloader, and it went back to just 3-5 reboots before being able to start...)

I had made a second account early on (and I had both as admin). I recently started to think that that could be somehow the culprit. In particular, one of them (mine, the original) was more problematic than the other, crashing often.
So, it might be that something was corrupted in that specific account, or just the presence of multiple users (or neither...).

BTW, I just deleted my user account, and I was able to restart smoothly at the first try this morning!! :eek::rolleyes::D
That hasn't happened since the very beginning, so I feel optimistic even just with N=1 (we'll see if it holds).

I was wondering if you guys have fixed your problem.
And if you have more than one user on your machine.
Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
P

I'm in the process of setting up a build for my friend and this "sometimes boot loop" issue has been driving me insane. Didn't think to try the cable until I came across this thread. I was using a DVI to VGA adapter on an EVGA GTX 960, but I guess it doesn't like that (sometimes). Switched to an HDMI cable and now no more boot issues!

Hey Cstre,

Read here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...nvidia-web-drivers-gtx-960-970-read-here.html

;-)

Hi guys

so i am having an issue that i didn't see anywhere else here in the support forum for El Capitan.
I managed to get my hack up and running with the tonymac clover guide (specs in signature, only used guide's kexts and my OLD ssdt.aml from the Yosemite install) BUT i am having a strange and really annoying problem:
Sometimes i get a reboot loop while booting and the apple logo appears. It just shuts down and restart everything.
The funny thing is: booting works then every 3rd or 4th time wihtout a problem. I tried several cpu power management flags and tried disabling my nvidia graphics with nv_disable, nvda_drv and so on. I really can't figure out WHY it sometimes just reboots!

So i hope anyone here can help me figuring this out... i made a video of -v because making a photo is "too slow". The code just immediatly disappears because of the reboot. I attach the last image of -v.
Here is the video (if that helps anyway..): https://www.dropbox.com/s/efqwmcekllaka2c/Video 08.10.15, 08 04 25.mov?dl=0

I upgraded from Yosemite. Is it possible that i "migrated" some wrong setting despite deleting every kext? Could it be the ssdt?
Should i try making a clean install?

I'm lost here. Hope you guys can help fixing this annoying issue.. THANK YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back