i7-3770K
Graphics
HD 4000+GT 710
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I successfully built my first OS X 10.11 El Capitan Beta Public Release System Multi boot Computer on the following Hardware:

• [FONT=&amp]MoBo[/FONT][FONT=&amp]: GA-Z77X-UP4-Th BIOS Version -F10b
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp] CPU: Intel i7. 3.1GHz[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp] RAM: G Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 MHz X4=32GB[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp] Video Card PCIE XFX R7800 Series
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp] Monitor: Asus Vk 278 on HDMI Cable
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp] HDDs SATA 1-2 TB X5 [1 SAMSung 2 Seagate 2 WD]
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp]Web cam & Mic:[/FONT][FONT=&amp]:[/FONT][FONT=&amp] Logitech® HD Webcam C31[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp]Speaker: Logitech Z305 USB [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] Installed Operating Systems from 5 separate Disks:
[/FONT]

• [FONT=&amp]OS X 10.11 Beta[/FONT]

• [FONT=&amp] OS X 10.10.4
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&amp] Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview [/FONT]
  • Windows 8.1 +
  • [FONT=&amp]Ubuntu Studio 15.04[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Installer hardware: 8GB Lexar USB Flash drive [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]USB Installer Creation Method: Terminal Command ([/FONT]createinstallmedia[FONT=&amp]): [/FONT]Guide from here.

In 4 of my computers with Yosemite, this command failed towards the very end as: “Mount of outer dmg failed”.

I changed flash drives between 8GB and 16 GB, and different brands. Lexar, Kingston, SanDisk, Verbatim, Adata, and PNY. At this point I concluded the problem was not the size or brand of FD! I tried creating the installer in 4 computers with different hardware but always in Yosemite 10.10.3 or 10.10.4. system

Then I decided to transfer the downloaded OS X 10.11 Beta to my first Mountain Lion System I have kept not upgraded in one of the computers running Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion, Windows and Ubuntu. It is in this PC I had failed several times while trying to create a USB Installer previously.

But in the Mountain Lion System, the installer creation had no error at all. I created multiple Installers using all those FD I initially thought were the problem and the System worked well in all of them!

Next problem occurred after I installed Clover bootloader as UEFI only method both without and with FAT 32 formatting of EFI. I spent hours trying to figure out why USB installer failed either early with Kernel Panic or from Graphic card issue about a few minutes later .

I removed my [FONT=&amp]PCIE XFX R7800 [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Series [/FONT]video card and used the Integrated Intel HD 4000 thinking [FONT=&amp]R7800 [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Series [/FONT]video card to be the cause. But still I could not reach the Installation screen even with Intel HD 4000 IGFX.

At this point I tried to experiment with the latest Chameleon bootloader on the USB installer instead of Clover. After several failed attempts [all I know were due to some silly mistakes I had made], the installer with Chameleon Bootloader finally reached the Installation screen and I could install the system on the HDD and got almost everything working OK including FaceTime and iMessage!

But the Video display was much below the level the Monitor and Video card were capable. They both worked perfectly in Windows and Ubuntu. Suspecting a graphic driver issue, I tried to install Intel HD driver from Multibeast 7.41 but that ended up in computer freezing and I had to reinstall the system.

Once I got the system working again, I decided to get Clover as the Bootloader after making the EFI to FAT32 using Terminal Command

In Clover the IGD, Intel HD 4000, was still staying at Resolution 1280x720.

At this point I shut down the PC and Reinstalled the [FONT=&amp]Video Card PCIE XFX R7800 Series [/FONT]I removed earlier, Reset the CMOS jumper [FONT=&amp]rebooted to the BIOS and Loaded Optimized Defaults and changed the Video from IGFX to PEG and made sure all other Settings including Date and Time are appropriate and then booted to System HD. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
This time it went without a hitch and I got full video Acceleration[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Everything is working well now.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]My next plan, is to remove the current working OS X 10.11 El Capitan System Hard disk and install a new one and go through all the steps from my scribbled notes to see if I can have a system without the problems I had encountered in my first try.[/FONT]

Attachments

• 2-System Report Hardware Overviewe.png
    2-System Report Hardware Overviewe.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 205
  • 1-About This Mac.png
    1-About This Mac.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 217
did you manage to have USB 3.0 working? I didn't and currently can only use the USB 2.0 ones... will try to reset the bios to see if this changes something...

did you manage to have USB 3.0 working? I didn't and currently can only use the USB 2.0 ones... will try to reset the bios to see if this changes something...

The USB-3 Ports[2] on the Front Bezel connected from the Front USB-3 header on GA-Z77X-UP4-Th Motherboard and 4 out of 6 USB-3 ports on the back are functioning OK .

The two top ports on the back meant for USB Mouse and Keyboard had problem from the day I bought this board a few years back. Gigabyte Tech support never answered my email inquiries initially.

But just about the time the warranty period was to be over and I had several systems on it and got used to this defect, they agreed to replace this board which has a VIA USB-3 chip controlling the 2 top ports which needed an upgraded chip.

Because of the inconvenience of having to rebuild a new system, I did not go for that offer.I tried Rehabman's Universal USB 3 kext which has helped me with other USB-3 issues but these two USB-3 ports remain stubborn in all operating systems.

You may try Rehabman's USB-3 Universal from here
https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Generic-USB3
Good luck

Where you did install the rehab usb kext cuz i just got working the intel ports only. the vl 800 looks dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back