Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys,

Just completed my first hackintosh build which I must say was very easy and straightforward. system now fully updated with 10.6.4 etc. etc. Sound/network/gpu/wake from sleep/usb/64 bit kernel/CPU reporting all working great.

Motherboard: - GA-H55M-USB3
CPU - i7 860 2.8
GPU - Asus 9800GT 512MB

I have been searching away on the forums and found most of my answers... but there are just a couple of things I cant seem to find a fix for. Wondering if anyone can help....

1 - My internal hard drive is showing as a USB drive, and not a normal hard drive on the desktop.... been looking around for ages on how to change this!

2 - I think i made a mistake with my GPU... I purchased the 9800gt just because I knew it had good compatibility and would work out the box.... however I have no intentions of playing games on this box or anything else that will tax the gpu and the Asus 9800GT is BLOODY LOUD!... like seriously loud. I opened up the case again and stopped the fan spinning and the rest of the fans are almost silent in comparison. Ideally I wanted the Silent Cell 9800GT but couldn't get it in stock, and didn't realise the Asus would be this bad. My question is that i know on windows you can reduce the fan speed with software which would help enormously... any idea how to do this on OSX... or will I have to buy a new cooler or even gpu? or anyone want to trade for lower specced silent gpu?

Gifted said:
1 - My internal hard drive is showing as a USB drive, and not a normal hard drive on the desktop.... been looking around for ages on how to change this!
Add the IOACHIBlockStorgeInjector kext (Advanced>Kexts>Disk...) from Multibeast. That'll make OSX think it's an internal, not hot-swop, drive.

Gifted said:
2 - I think i made a mistake with my GPU... I purchased the 9800gt just because I knew it had good compatibility and would work out the box.... however I have no intentions of playing games on this box or anything else that will tax the gpu and the Asus 9800GT is BLOODY LOUD!... like seriously loud. I opened up the case again and stopped the fan spinning and the rest of the fans are almost silent in comparison. Ideally I wanted the Silent Cell 9800GT but couldn't get it in stock, and didn't realise the Asus would be this bad. My question is that i know on windows you can reduce the fan speed with software which would help enormously... any idea how to do this on OSX... or will I have to buy a new cooler or even gpu? or anyone want to trade for lower specced silent gpu?
I dont know any way to do this for OSX (other than perhaps hack the GPU firmware), however I can recommend a nice GPU cooler I just installed: ArticCooling "Accelero Twin Turbo Pro VGA Cooler". VERY Quite and 15-20C lower temps! Plus if you have a 3 or 4 pin fan connector on your GFX card, it'll get speed control from the GPU. (Even if 2 pin voltage only-control from the GPU, that seems to work also!). This one works on many 9800s, but you'll want to check compatibility, as perhaps need to look at other ones.

Thanks for hard drive info.... And cooler recommendation.

Researching a bit more I think the fan on my 9800gt is spinning at 100% and usually this should turn down once it boots into osx.... But not in my case even though in system profiler it detects it fine as a 9800gt. Still can't find a way to solve this apart from maybe flashing the bios on the card via windows... Which is a right pain. Maybe changing the cooler is the better option.

Firstly I might just disconnect the fan completely and see how stable it is under normal use... It has a huge heat sink on it as well after all.

arent there some options in the bios for all the fans you got in your case?
i also found this software called Fan Control.
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23137/fan-control

before downloading i recommend to read the comments. some people are very dissapointed some are not.

The bios only controls the cpu fan which isnt an issue...

I have spent half the day looking into the GPU fan...

Fan control doesnt work... and there is no software to be able to adjust the fans in OSX...

only way is to flash the bios on the gpu. so had to build another windows box... take card out and spend ages fiddling.

Turns out my card was only running at 39%... at 100% its amazing loud. Even at 39% its too loud.

So i flashed the gpu and memory clock down so its running slower and disconnected the fan completely... So far its been running all afternoon without any glitches at all so maybe I have the answer i was looking for. Bit of a waste really but does the job.

Probably gonna change the cpu fan very shortly to as the stock fan tends to whine a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back