Nvidia
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi

I've been on a bit of journey but I thought I would post my experiences which may help others.

I have done a new build with items taken off the CustoMac Buyer's Guide. I usually buy Gigabyte boards so did the same this time, and the particular one I chose (Z97-D3H) was fairly cheap and had the correct specs.

In detail I am using:

Gigabyte Z97-D3H
Intel Core i3-4330
HyperX Fury 8GB RAM (2x 4GB sticks)

I also wanted to use the integrated Intel 4600 graphics to keep things as simple as possible.

I created the Unibeast installer from my previous build (an ancient P35 / Core Quad) and went for all the default options. I didn't select the 'inject Intel' option as it didn't appear to apply to the 4600.

I reset the BIOS and loaded the optimized defaults. However I did (for some reason) increase the memory settings for the graphics in the BIOS setup - probably just because I didn't really understand what they were for.

The first time I booted it things seemed to go wrong - the progress bar appeared and moved along, but then the graphics appeared distorted for a few seconds and the computer rebooted. I fiddled around with various Clover settings and eventually did get the installer to boot, but there was clearly something wrong with the graphics which reported themselves as 'Intel Unknown, 7Mb' and there was again loads of distortion.

After a lot of messing around I tried resetting the BIOS to optimised defaults again and this time I didn't make any changes.

Then - it worked! The installer booted with no problems and everything installed correctly. The Intel graphics are fully supported with 1536MB of memory reported, and every other aspect works perfectly including sleep / wake, on board ethernet etc.

Also, even with the most recent update of El Capitan all the USB ports - including the USB 3.0 ports - work exactly as expected!

So the lessons learned are:

This board is perfectly supported and I would wholeheartedly recommend it as a basis for a build
DO NOT touch the BIOS settings after loading optimised defaults - even slight changes seem to cause problems

So I'm very happy with the outcome - thanks to all for the site

James

Hi
I know this is a question to an old thread but I have the same setup.
In the Unibeast setting, do you remember if you used the new UEFI settings on the legacy ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back