Contribute
Register

[Success] z170x-UD3 | i6700k | nVIDIA Geforce GTX 960

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent a few hours in the morning going in my BIOS and following the guides posted here. I had a bit of a hard time getting past the apple boot screen and it was partially due to me missing a couple of steps disabling features because I couldn't locate them in the BIOS.

(fast forward a few hours later)

for about two hours this evening, I focused and got through to getting up installing and now running El Capitan!
PHOTO_20170101_214007.jpg

so after the hiccups i had and looking back, the process is a lot easier even with the mistakes I made.

A few notes from the install: (these notes are not intended to take credit away from anyone. These are simply ways to improve upon / help others that may have similar questions that I had while installing the OS.) Thanks to everyone that has shared their experience / knowledge here...I wouldn't be writing this if it wasn't done before me.

Parts List:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-z170x-UD3
CPU: Intel i7-6700k 4.0 quad-core processor.
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH D14
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (16g - 2x8) DDR4-2400
Storage: Crucial MX-300 275GB SSD
Graphics Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova GS 650W Fully Modular.

I have not run Multibeast yet...but here is what I noticed so far...I am not sure of what to do from here but do some more reading and research to find solutions.

-
as you can see from my parts list I installed (16g - 2x8) DDR4-2400 and the computer is reading (4 GB 3200MHz DDR4) - something is off here???
PHOTO_20170101_214034.jpg

Similar issue with my graphics card. I installed Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB and the computer is reading it correctly except for the "0 MB" -
something is off here???
PHOTO_20170101_214007.jpg

I have not purchased a network card yet for internet...looking at the (TP-Link Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter (TL-WDN4800)). anyone use something different they recommend?

I'll keep posting as I continue to work through this over the next few days/weeks!

Cheers.
///Means

Today 1-2-2017 Update

I turned on the computer and it didn't want to boot (yesterday i had not installed Multibeast). I restarted the machine and it right away went to the OSX setup screen (where you select "use english for the main language"). so I proceeded with the setup again and once completed, I ran MultiBeast. I can now successfully boot from the SSD.

- My USBs work fine, I tested this by connecting some external hard drives and accessing files.
my graphics card is running however it's not being detected correctly and i am getting a cascade effect when i log in.

Last edited:
Update: 1-3-2017

- still getting a cascade effect when I log in and not full functional either. Been trying to fix graphics card but quickly realizing that my build version (15G1010) is not yet supported...
- got the sound to work (need better speakers.)
- Purchased network card (TP-Link Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter (TL-WDN4800), installed and works (this is what real plug and play is!) it automatically detected the card and it picked up my internet signal without messing with any settings.

I do have to say - a simple youtube search has some great walk-thru videos. might be worth devoting a section on this site for video links to help those like myself see the steps and mimic them.

///Means

Update: 1-3-2017

- still getting a cascade effect when I log in and not full functional either. Been trying to fix graphics card but quickly realizing that my build version (15G1010) is not yet supported...
- got the sound to work (need better speakers.)
- Purchased network card (TP-Link Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter (TL-WDN4800), installed and works (this is what real plug and play is!) it automatically detected the card and it picked up my internet signal without messing with any settings.

I do have to say - a simple youtube search has some great walk-thru videos. might be worth devoting a section on this site for video links to help those like myself see the steps and mimic them.

///Means

Hi nice to meet you. I have the similar hardware as yours. But my audio and usb 3.0 are not working properly. Do u mind to share your steps and information source on solving this problems. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back