Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
The XFX RX 560 should be supported by High Sierra, but causes a restart when attempting to boot the OS. The card uses an odd UEFI GOP, version 2.0, while all other RX 560 cards I have seen use a 1.6X version of the UEFI GOP. The result is that the card requires legacy/CSM mode to boot, and High Sierra cannot handle it. I had thought that UEFI GOP 2.X was used only in newer Vega cards, but XFX managed to shoehorn it onto this RX 560 card.

To solve this, I flashed the Asus VBIOS found here: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/193242/asus-rx560-4096-170426

The Asus card has the same specs as the XFX card but the CRC does not match, and ATIwinflash will note a mismatch. Use the command line and the -f flag to force the flash.

Note that I tried to use the GOPupd tool at the win-raid forum to "downgrade" the GOP to 1.65 using the XFX vbios, and this kind of worked, but the graphics colors were kind of psychedelic.

It may also be possible to use Clover to load the Asus VBIOS above without flashing, but I did not test this. Thought this thread would be helpful to others with this card.

The XFX RX 560 should be supported by High Sierra, but causes a restart when attempting to boot the OS. The card uses an odd UEFI GOP, version 2.0, while all other RX 560 cards I have seen use a 1.6X version of the UEFI GOP. The result is that the card requires legacy/CSM mode to boot, and High Sierra cannot handle it. I had thought that UEFI GOP 2.X was used only in newer Vega cards, but XFX managed to shoehorn it onto this RX 560 card.

To solve this, I flashed the Asus VBIOS found here: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/193242/asus-rx560-4096-170426

The Asus card has the same specs as the XFX card but the CRC does not match, and ATIwinflash will note a mismatch. Use the command line and the -f flag to force the flash.

Note that I tried to use the GOPupd tool at the win-raid forum to "downgrade" the GOP to 1.65 using the XFX vbios, and this kind of worked, but the graphics colors were kind of psychedelic.

It may also be possible to use Clover to load the Asus VBIOS above without flashing, but I did not test this. Thought this thread would be helpful to others with this card.

What is the model number of your XFX RX 560?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back