Contribute
Register

[Success] Where is my SPEED? GA-Z77N-Wifi i7 3770k not Overclocking after Sierra update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mini Deluxe GA-Z77N WiFi
CPU
I7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I decided to take a major step and update my old hackintosh from 10.8 to 10.12. I followed the 10.12 installation guide, an it was much easier than I thought it would be. I now have a partitions with 10.8, 10.12 and 10.12 backup.

When I was running 10.8, I was able to OC the multiplier in the bios setup from 3.5 to 4.4 with no problems and my Geekbench score improved dramatically. After upgrading to 10.12 and getting it running, I did the same adjustments in the bios, but now there is not clock or Geekbench improvements. Its seems to be stuck on the stock speed now. I was able to OC the bus speed multiplier, but not the processors. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

MW

Changed the profile from Mac 14,2 to Mac Pro 5,1 and made a difference in Geekbench scores... but still no difference between "stock" settings overclock in bios to 4.4.

After doing some digging in the forums, and a little educating guessing.... here is what I found to work... or at least get me to 4.2 ghz. How to get above 4.2 is still a mystery... but does not really matter. On my old configuration I could OC to 4.4 and boot... But found 4.2 to be the most reliable. Here is the Multibeast setting I used to get to 4.2 GHZ.

Current bios settings and best Geekbench score... bus 108.85 x 39. Still experimenting.

Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 12.32.40 AM.png View attachment 223045 View attachment 223046

Before and After Geekbench... a modest 15% speed bump.

Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 1.23.20 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 1.39.30 AM.png

I have almost exactly the same motherboard but mine is the GA-Z77X-UD5H and an i7 3770k.

Under Yosemite I was running it at 4.5ghz no problems at all but since I updated to Sierra 10.12.2 it seems to be stuck running at 3.5ghz which is insufferable. It made a huge difference running Handbrake (which I do daily) and just general performance.
I might have 50 plus tabs open (I have ADHD) and it really drags it down. Under Yosemite it wouldn't stay locked on 4.5ghz, it would idle at 3.5 but would ramp up to 4.5 when I hit it with a task or lots of browser tabs.

I think it was under Mavericks (and previous versions) that I could set the BIOS at 4.5 and it stayed there no matter what, none of that silly idling and up and down nonsense. I want it running full throttle all the time but I lost that with Yosemite.
At least it would throttle up under load. But no more. There must be a way to fix this beyond these sad little 15% increases, that's just not acceptable.

Previously... I was just setting the Bios... but after the upgrade I was stuck as well. Just changing from iMac to Mac Pro system definition made a difference for me... I am overclocking system bus and processor in the Bios.

Im actually curious about this topic. I installed sierra last night. I have 3570k, msi z77a gd55 mobo and corsair vengeance pro 2666mhz rams. I tune cpu and rams in bios settings. When I run system, cpu shown 3.4 ghz, rams shown 1333 lol. How can i overclock them? Can you explain to a newbie :)

Im actually curious about this topic. I installed sierra last night. I have 3570k, msi z77a gd55 mobo and corsair vengeance pro 2666mhz rams. I tune cpu and rams in bios settings. When I run system, cpu shown 3.4 ghz, rams shown 1333 lol. How can i overclock them? Can you explain to a newbie :)

To see your true CPU speed you will need HWMonitor. I am not sure how to get speed to show accurately in "about System".

I was running OS X 10.8 and a i7 3770k 3.5 overclocked to 4.2. and after updating to Sierra and not changing any bios settings, my Geekbench scores were noticeably slower. I figured out that after the update it was my system definition that was overruling the Bios overclock. Now I am using MacPro 2010 profile and the CPU overclock in the Bios now works. So for the overclock to work, it is a matter of choosing the right profile. The problem with changing profiles is that the new profile my not boot.... so maker sure you make a back up of your working system in case something goes wrong... which it did form me. Now running at a solid 4.0 mhz. Now, there is probably a way of creating a custom profile that works.

In the process of trying everything, another way to overclock is adjust the Bus setting in the bios. I was able to overclock my motherboard from 100 to 109.75 with out crashing.. which increased the CPU to 3.84. Overclocking the bus also overclocks your memory too. Overclocking the bus speed I did see a CPU increase in the System Info. You can also do a combination of Bus and CPU overclock which I experimented with. So, if you overclock your Bus to 105 and your CPU to 4.0, you end up with a final speed of 4.2.

MW

To see your true CPU speed you will need HWMonitor. I am not sure how to get speed to show accurately in "about System".

I was running OS X 10.8 and a i7 3770k 3.5 overclocked to 4.2. and after updating to Sierra and not changing any bios settings, my Geekbench scores were noticeably slower. I figured out that after the update it was my system definition that was overruling the Bios overclock. Now I am using MacPro 2010 profile and the CPU overclock in the Bios now works. So for the overclock to work, it is a matter of choosing the right profile. The problem with changing profiles is that the new profile my not boot.... so maker sure you make a back up of your working system in case something goes wrong... which it did form me. Now running at a solid 4.0 mhz. Now, there is probably a way of creating a custom profile that works.

In the process of trying everything, another way to overclock is adjust the Bus setting in the bios. I was able to overclock my motherboard from 100 to 109.75 with out crashing.. which increased the CPU to 3.84. Overclocking the bus also overclocks your memory too. Overclocking the bus speed I did see a CPU increase in the System Info. You can also do a combination of Bus and CPU overclock which I experimented with. So, if you overclock your Bus to 105 and your CPU to 4.0, you end up with a final speed of 4.2.

MW

So there is limitation behind the profiles. hmm. I'm pretty new at hackintosh stuff but I made a good progress. This morning I was playin with boot options (just after the bios screen passes), I did a couple of things and system opened. I checked "about this mac" And I saw 4.5 ghz on cpu speed, and 2666mhz on ram freq. I was so suprised. But there was another suprise that cause me to reinstall system. My internal gpu (hd4000) was 6mb :) . and no sound... I tried alot of things. at the end It didn't open. So I reinstalled system. I will check hardware monitor and come back asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back