Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Centris
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I seemed to have full success running 10.7.2 on my hackintosh, which is almost identical to the budget build except the processor (i5), case and power supply.

Initially, after install, I was using the onboard Intel HD 3000 graphics and had no issues. When I added my second stick of ram (4+4) and the Gigabyte GV-R667D3 (6670) from the suggested graphics card list, I got the black screen after the apple at boot. If I change to GraphicsEnabler=No then I can boot, but it seems slower.

The monitor is plugged into DVI. I have a VGA cable if necessary.

I thought this card would work since it was on the list. This is my first custommac build and I was surprised at how well things went - jinx!

I could swap out a PowerColor AX6850 1GBD5-DH Radeon HD 6850 from another machine if anyone knows of more success with a 6850.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

dwwilldadrummer said:
Have you tried changing your system definitions?

5,1 caused a Kernel Panic. Luckily after reading many posts, I knew to make a backup partition I could CCC from.

Since I am new to Multibeast, would checking "repair permissions" make any difference?

Also - VGA same problem.

Well until it is resolved you can change you org.chameleon.boot.plist file. Just change the graphicsenabler to GraphicsEnabler=No instead of GraphicsEnabler=Yes and your computer will boot with no problem

dwwilldadrummer said:
Well until it is resolved you can change you org.chameleon.boot.plist file. Just change the graphicsenabler to GraphicsEnabler=No instead of GraphicsEnabler=Yes and your computer will boot with no problem

Thanks for your replies. That was pretty much the one thing I knew I could do. I am pretty much in the dark with other procedures concerning graphics. I have read all the posts about changing the ati config and default frame buffer and may go trial and error with that.

I am going to install a SSD next week. Perhaps I'll try a clean install of Lion with the card in already and see what happens. I did have the 6850 working in Leopard a while back, so as a last resort I could swap that card and the power supply.

How do I tell how much functionality my video card has other than the ripple test in the dashboard and front row/dvdplayer? I can look in system info and I see the 6xxx listed instead of 6670 plus other basic info.

Solution was to scrap the 6670 and install the 6850 (from another machine) to a fresh install (wanted to do so on SSD anyway). I think everything is working. No more boot commands, etc.

Not sure what ripple effect is in dashboard, but DVDs play, chess works and menubar is translucent (I read these were indicators of QE/CI). Plus graphics adapter now shows up in info, no longer 6xxx.

Other things are a little screwy, so on to a different forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back