Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I just built my new Hackintosh yesterday and it works perfectly. The installation was really easy and I will give a full tutorial below the specs.

(Copied directly from my order)
1. Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev. 2.0 Bios FB (Upgraded to FE)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034CSTFY?ie=UTF8

2. CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002A6G3V2?ie=UTF8

3. Graphics: SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AK67HW?ie=UTF8

4. RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model HX3X12G1333C9
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VNLDN8?ie=UTF8

5. PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X24ISU?ie=UTF8

6. HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002J65AHQ?ie=UTF8

7. DRIVE: LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YIG9AQ?ie=UTF8

Cost: About $1000

Here is the guide I used during the entire installation without any problems:
*Use the blue SATA ports on the Motherboard for HDD and Drive
*Only use 4gb of RAM for the installation
*Update the BIOS to the newest version
*Download all files beforehand

1. Took most of the BIOS settings from Lnx2Mac's blog, but here are some specifics.
i. Enter CMOS Setup <DEL> key.Then Load Optimized Defaults. Go to PC Health and check your CPU temperatures to make sure everything is running good. (Like if you installed the heatsink properly)
ii. Integrated Peripherals -> ICH SATA Control Mode -> Set it to “AHCIâ€
iii. Integrated Peripherals -> eSATA Ctrl Mode -> Set it to “AHCIâ€
iv. Power Management -> HPET Mode -> Set to “64-bit modeâ€
v. Integrated Peripherals menu -> USB Keyboard Function: set to Enable
vi. Integrated Peripherals menu -> USB Mouse Function: set to Enable
vii. It's important to enable all Advanced CPU Core features. As, once we started tweaking, the BIOS might Disable some settings if we leave them at [Auto].
viii. Set Boot Priority to boot from CD ROM [or use F12 during Bootup]
ix. Put iBoot disc in the drive. Then Save and Exit by pressing “F10,†followed by Enter to confirm.
2. When it reboots it should boot up to the Chameleon screen. On boot prompt , insert Snow Leopard Disc and press enter. If it doesn't pop up when you put the disc in hit F5
3. When you get to the installation screen, open Utilities/Disk Utility [NOTE: If you can't get to the installation screen, retry the process, but type -x at the screen above. This will enter Mac OS X Safe Mode, which will allow you to proceed.]
4. Click Partition then choose GUID Partition Table
5. Format your hard drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) [name it whatever you want]
6. Close Disk Utility
7. When the installer asks you where to install, choose your HDD
8. After install has finished put iboot back in and restart
9. When you get to the Chameleon Screen choose your new installation. [your HDD]
10. deleted this
11. deleted this
12. On another computer download DSDT for your MB and Multibeast from the TonyMac site. Go to the apple site and dl the 10.6.6 ComboUpdate. Then go to Lnx2Mac's website and download the RTL81xx OS X driver. Put all of them on a USB drive. Then put it in your new computer.
13. Extract Multibeast to Desktop and Open
14. Mount MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.6.dmg
15. Install MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.6.pkg (DON’T RESTART)
16. Put DSDT.aml on desktop with that exact name (edit the name so it looks exactly like this)
17. Run Multibeast and check off (open it up again if it closed [some of the files might be in different places in multibeast then listed, so just look for them.)
i. USER DSDT
ii. System Utilities
iii. Advanced -> Kexts -> Audio -> Select ALC889HDA + AppleHDA Rollback
iv. Bootloaders -> Chameleon 2.0 RC5 ATI Experimental
v. Advanced -> Kexts -> Disk -> JMicron36x (aka GSATA) -> JMicron36xeSATA or JMicron36xSATA depending on whether you want internal or external GSATA ports
vi. Customization -> Boot Options-> 64 Bit Boot Screen
vii. System Definitions -> Mac Pro -> Mac Pro 5,1
viii. Miscellaneous -> USB 3.0
ix. OSX 86 Software
18. Install to your HDD- it should take about 4 minutes to run scripts.
19. Eject iBoot
20. Reboot from the ComboUpdate
21. Run Lnx2Mac RTL81xx OS X driver
22. Reboot
23. Everything should be perfect then install the rest of the RAM.

Thanks to TonyMac, MacMan, Lnx2Mac, Notshy and everyone on these forums for making this possible! All of these steps were featured in other threads, I just compiled them into one for myself.

Last edited:
Nice build.

I'm in the planning stages of doing something pretty similar to yours.

Your RAM is 1.65V? I thought it had to be 1.5V or less. If not, I'll switch out my RAM for your Corsair

redcard said:
Nice build.

I'm in the planning stages of doing something pretty similar to yours.

Your RAM is 1.65V? I thought it had to be 1.5V or less. If not, I'll switch out my RAM for your Corsair
The X58 can use any RAM up to 1.65v. But higher voltage == more heat. So if you can get 1.5v RAM would be better.

My ram is 1.5v. On a sidenote I would recommend a third party heat sink for your CPU because mine idle's in the 40-45 Degree Celsius range.

Thanks for the guide, that will really help me out ;)
Just one question, does the microphone line works? I'm asking because I really need to use skype with this hackintosh!

Strife said:
Just one question, does the microphone line works? I'm asking because I really need to use skype with this hackintosh!

Sorry, but I do not have a microphone to test it out. One problem I am having now is when the computer sleeps my keyboard isn't working when it awakes. That is the only issue I have which I am looking for a solution. For now I just disabled sleep so its not the end of the world. If I find a solution I will update the post!

Edit: It could possibly be my cheap keyboard so I will test another one soon.

Strife said:
Only the rear microphone jack works.

Thanks for posting this build! I just went through and bought most of your things. It really helped me since I had no idea on where to even start being this is my first computer im building & turning into a hackintosh.

Hi,

I'm building a system which is very similar to yours, apart from a Gigabyte HD 5570 and a slightly different memory kit (I have a 2GbX6 Corsair CM3X2G1600C9B6 HX3X12G1600C9). A few questions:

1) Do you really have to enable all the Advanced CPU Core Features? I left Turbo Boost to Auto as it was on default, since I prefer stability over raw speed.

2) Do you run your memory at 1333 0r 1066? I tried to run my memory at 1600 using the XMP profile but my system was unstable. So now I think I'll leave it at 1066 as the Gigabyte Optimized default suggests.

3) I disabled eSATA and GSATA in my BIOS, as I don't plan to use them and this way it takes less time to boot. Does it change anything in the installation process? I think I might have to skip the JMicron part...

Thanks a lot

We have almost the same configuration :D except for the different upgrading times.
In fact I preferred installing 10.6.3, then 10.6.5 and MultiBeast. Last was 10.6.6 through Apple Upgrade.

But I have other questions about your install....
Why did you choose:
vi. Customization -> Boot Options-> 64 Bit Boot Screen
vii. System Definitions -> Mac Pro -> Mac Pro 5,1
viii. Miscellaneous -> USB 3.0

Although my install is running well, I'd like to know if I can make it running better.

Thanks
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back