Contribute
Register

[Success] - Sonoma 14.2 natively installed. Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X . Radeon RX 580.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X
CPU
I7-10700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I had Monterey on my rig. Decided to upgrade to Sonoma 14.1.2 the other day. Suprisely, Upgrading from the MacOS itself went smoothly. But the sound card was disappeared after hte upgrade.

I did another installation by formatting the disk today. After the installation was completed. The sound card still wasn't shown up. When I loaded OCC. I found that there was no EFI folder created on the EFI drive. Sonoma 14.2 was supported natively !!! What a surpise. :)

I'm using Fenvi T919 for BT and wireless. BT worked but not WI-FI.

Not working: on board sound card and Wi-Fi.
Everything else works.

Read this thread wrote by @miliuco . It's great and very helpful. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/fenvi-t919-wifi-back-in-sonoma-with-oclp.326545/ . I was able to make wifi and on board sound card work. This was what I did.

1, Ran OCLP (Open Core Legacy Patcher 1.3.0) to create an installation drive / USB key of Sonoma 14.2.
2, Formatted the disk and reinstalled 14.2.
3, Followed the steps from the thread above. Updated the config.plist. (MUST disable SIP)
4. Ran nvram reset once. Reboot into Sonoma.
5, Ran OCLP again and apply post-install patch. This brought Wi-fi and AirDrop back.

Everything works for me so far. I'll update if I found anything not working properly.

I have my EFI folder below. Hopefully it helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 4.17.48 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 4.17.48 PM.png
    73.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 4.18.12 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 4.18.12 PM.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 4.19.02 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 4.19.02 PM.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 4.19.51 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 4.19.51 PM.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 46
  • EFI.zip
    16.9 MB · Views: 71
@cabuffalo
Good morning.
I don't understand if you have an EFI. You say "I found that there was no EFI folder created on the EFI drive. Sonoma 14.2 was supported natively" but I see an EFI attached to your post.

It's impossible to install or boot macOS in our hardware without a working EFI (OpenCore or Clover).

You may not have EFI on the macOS drive but you do have it on a plugged-in USB device. Or you haven't seen the real EFI partition on the disk. But somewhere there must be an EFI for macOS to boot on your PC.
Check this to know which EFI you are booting from.

If you formatted the disk for installation from scratch, you may have deleted the macOS partitions but not the entire volume in which case you are booting from the EFI you already had since this partition would not have been deleted.

Your board has ALC1200 so the audio must work fine with AppleALC. Sometimes you have to try several layout-ids until you get it.
Possible layouts for your chipset are 1, 2, 3, 7, 11, 49, 50, 51, 52, 69. So you have to try them to see which one works best and gives you all the outputs you have on the machine.
You can do this by adding alcid=x in boot args with x being one of the layouts. Every time you change it, you have to restart.

Sorry about the mistype. What I mean is that there is no Oc folder created in efi folder. Only a folder named APPLE was created after the first upgrade.

Sorry about the mistype. What I mean is that there is no Oc folder created in efi folder. Only a folder named APPLE was created after the first upgrade.
That Apple folder is created when you install or update macOS, it's not required for the hack but it doesn't harm anything. It's as expected if you don't have OpenCore copied into that EFI partition.
It must exist other OpenCore EFI folder that boots macOS.

Ran OCLP (Open Core Legacy Patcher 1.3.0) to create an installation drive / USB key of Sonoma 14.2.
You can create a USB installer with OCLP but you shouldn't try to create your OC EFI folder with it. It won't be specific to your hardware. Here's an example of what it installs for a "real" 15,1 iMac. Much of it will not be suitable for your PC hardware. You found that out when the soundcard stopped working. Only the root patching option detects your current hardware. "Build and Install OC" only installs specific kexts/patches/boot flags for real Macs.

1702941427844.png

I had Monterey on my rig. Decided to upgrade to Sonoma 14.1.2 the other day. Suprisely, Upgrading from the MacOS itself went smoothly. But the sound card was disappeared after hte upgrade.

I did another installation by formatting the disk today. After the installation was completed. The sound card still wasn't shown up. When I loaded OCC. I found that there was no EFI folder created on the EFI drive. Sonoma 14.2 was supported natively !!! What a surpise. :)

I'm using Fenvi T919 for BT and wireless. BT worked but not WI-FI.

Not working: on board sound card and Wi-Fi.
Everything else works.

Read this thread wrote by @miliuco . It's great and very helpful. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/fenvi-t919-wifi-back-in-sonoma-with-oclp.326545/ . I was able to make wifi and on board sound card work. This was what I did.

1, Ran OCLP (Open Core Legacy Patcher 1.3.0) to create an installation drive / USB key of Sonoma 14.2.
2, Formatted the disk and reinstalled 14.2.
3, Followed the steps from the thread above. Updated the config.plist. (MUST disable SIP)
4. Ran nvram reset once. Reboot into Sonoma.
5, Ran OCLP again and apply post-install patch. This brought Wi-fi and AirDrop back.

Everything works for me so far. I'll update if I found anything not working properly.

I have my EFI folder below. Hopefully it helps.
Hi, prettry similiars same specs ( without K version cpu ), thanks for you guide

Wanna ask, What bios version do you use ?
mine is 6c ( totaly old ), want to upgrade if can increase the stability or performance

And can u share the bios settings too ?

Thanks

Hi, prettry similiars same specs ( without K version cpu ), thanks for you guide

Wanna ask, What bios version do you use ?
mine is 6c ( totaly old ), want to upgrade if can increase the stability or performance

And can u share the bios settings too ?

Thanks
Hi, @saintmylife , sorry about the late reply. Please refer to the following setting. My bios was uodated in 2021. It's pretty old as well.

Disable:

• Fast Boot
  • VT-d (can be enabled if you set DisableIoMapper to YES)
  • CSM
  • Thunderbolt(For initial install, as Thunderbolt can cause issues if not setup correctly)
  • Intel SGX
  • Intel Platform Trust
  • CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection) (This must be off, if you can't find the option then enable both AppleCpuPmCfgLock and AppleXcpmCfgLock under Kernel -> Quirks. Your hack will not boot with CFG-Lock enabled) NOT FOUND
Enable:

• VT-x
  • Above 4G decoding
  • Hyper-Threading
  • Execute Disable Bit
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
  • OS type: (Windows 10 Feautres: Ohter)
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated(iGPU Memory): 64MB

Back