Contribute
Register

[Success] Skylake Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, i5-6600, GTX 1070 (Clover/High Sierra)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@LiveRecords - Definitely sounds like it could be a hardware problem then...
I am using win for gaming, and OSX for work.
OSX - Mouse is shutering, but graphics not.(video runs smoothly) USB disconection is very precious.
Windows is no shutering. USB may disconect in 30 minutes after launch.
I've spent many days in research, and ended with mobo in service.
Ill give feedback after returning :)
Thanks for advice

Hi guys! I need your help! I can't adjust CPU fan and CHA_FANs.
I have installed HWSensors.6.23.1417 with all kexts without ACPISensors.kext
What settings do I need to register in info.plist(LPCSensors.kext) that it works?

P.S. Maximus Ranger VIII

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 19.42.06.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 19.42.06.png
    97 KB · Views: 114
@alexkupen - Can I ask why you don't want to set the CPU fan, and other fan, speed in your BIOS first? The Maximus VIII Ranger is very good in this respect. I'm not sure if there is an easy way to set CPU speed from within OS X, especially for a non-Mac computer. Or do you just want fan speeds reported in HWMonitor?

@mezter - I had this problem a few times with my previous Z77X Gigabyte motherboard, but haven't noticed it on the ASUS. However, I only use my external hard-drives when I'm running an OS. Have you tried booting with and without the external hard-drive(s) attached, just so you can say for sure this is causing your problem?

If you can definitely narrow it down to a connected device, then I'd try doing a search for your problem, as this doesn't seem like it's OS X only, unless it only happens when you reboot from OS X?

Yeah it is definitely that problem, i can turn off my usb-hub with them connected and it's fine. And i eject before and it's fine. It's when I don't eject them that it won't reboot or shutdown and i have to do it manually. Also I tried do it from windows as well and it works. It's gotta be something with "force shutdown" or something in OSX i guess, maybe a terminal command?

Thanks !

@mezter - I wonder if you could rig up a terminal, or automator script, to automatically eject your external hard-drives when you logout or shutdown? There's a few guides out there to help you do this:

Terminal script: http://ask.metafilter.com/281101/Automatically-eject-OS-X-volume
Automator script: https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/automatically-eject-disks-at-boot-in-mac-os-x-with-automator/

There's also an app called Jettison that will do this for you as well, but it's meant for use with MacBooks - it might work with Hackintoshes though: https://www.stclairsoft.com/Jettison/

I am using win for gaming, and OSX for work.
OSX - Mouse is shutering, but graphics not.(video runs smoothly) USB disconection is very precious.
Windows is no shutering. USB may disconect in 30 minutes after launch.
I've spent many days in research, and ended with mobo in service.
Ill give feedback after returning :)
Thanks for advice
FINALY!
Vendor after 2 months replaced my fautly MoBo, GPU and CPU. Can`t belive, that i spent half year with broken hardware from begining. Now after inserting SSD back only, everything seems to run smoothly.

@LiveRecords - Hi, glad you managed to get it sorted out in the end - I take it you got another ASUS VIII Ranger as replacement? It really is a great motherboard when you get one that's free of faults :thumbup: Don't know how ASUS let your previous motherboard through quality control though - it sounded terrible and full of issues.

Also, for you & others who are using this motherboard - don't upgrade to the newest 3007 BIOS yet, because then NVRAM won't work on your Hackintosh (which means it doesn't remember your Clover settings). Stick to the 2202 BIOS until a fix can be found.

EDIT: For more information on the 3007 BIOS & NVRAM problems, there is a relevant thread here on tonymacx86: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-nvidia-web-driver-does-not-load-after-bios-update.211374/

Last edited:
@LiveRecords - Hi, glad you managed to get it sorted out in the end - I take it you got another ASUS VIII Ranger as replacement? It really is a great motherboard when you get one that's free of faults :thumbup: Don't know how ASUS let your previous motherboard through quality control though - it sounded terrible and full of issues.

EDIT: For more information on the 3007 BIOS & NVRAM problems, there is a relevant thread here on tonymacx86: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-nvidia-web-driver-does-not-load-after-bios-update.211374/

So... Some reply from me can be kind:)
I got another ASUS VIII Ranger as replacement. I found that first one was already repaired before i bought it. i had 3007 BIOS before, and solved with clover ***64bit thing ***update from your link. So I prove, that it worked. BUT! Is that necessary to update BIOS? I am scared, of my temperature management and other things. My HW monitor app says that CPU is idle about 22°C but LED on MoBo says 28°C. Graphic card is 33°C (i cant belive it). Also sometimes when osX starts (desktop show up) my GTX fans spins up and down for a second. This happened with my old (replaced) GTX 960 too. Nothing more, but I am scared of damadging other hardware whille runnin osX wrong.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-02-10 00.03.49.png
    Screenshot 2017-02-10 00.03.49.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 143
  • Screenshot 2017-02-10 00.04.27.png
    Screenshot 2017-02-10 00.04.27.png
    83.8 KB · Views: 135
BUT! Is that necessary to update BIOS? I am scared, of my temperature management and other things. My HW monitor app says that CPU is idle about 22°C but LED on MoBo says 28°C. Graphic card is 33°C (i cant belive it).
@LiveRecords - Hi, I'm not sure how accurate HWMonitor is, but I'm sure it could be giving a different reading to the Motherboard reading, due to differences in how they take their readings. Also 22C and 28C are both very low, so I think there's nothing to be concerned about (I've attached my readings for comparison). If you have Windows on your Hackintosh, you could always use HWMonitor on Windows to cross-check. Under Windows my GTX 970 is 50C, but my card's fans don't spin up till over 40% load, so it's going to be hotter. 33C sounds ok to me.
Also sometimes when osX starts (desktop show up) my GTX fans spins up and down for a second. This happened with my old (replaced) GTX 960 too. Nothing more, but I am scared of damadging other hardware whille runnin osX wrong.
As far as the fan spinning on startup, I had the same problem and found out it was down to GPUSensors.kext (part of the HWMonitor bundle) that was causing this. Delete this kext from S/L/E or your Clover kext folder and this problem should go away. This means that you'll no longer be able to monitor your GPU using HWMonitor in macOS though.

EDIT: Also to add to my earlier post, you can use the 3007 BIOS and get working NVRAM if you then install Emuvariableuefi-64.efi via the Clover installer. For some reason, when I do this, my Last Booted Volume is not remembered on startup.

Attachments

• HWMonitor.png
    HWMonitor.png
    164.7 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Hello,

I saw your Thread this Monday, and because I have almost the same specs as you @pbryanw I thought I give it a shot.
So I managed to get Sierra installed and everything seemed to work fine. At my first try the SMBios was set to iMac14,1. Then I saw that I could not install Cuda for my GTX980 because of the iMac14,1. So I installed everything new again and choose the iMac17,1. Unfortunately after installing the Nvidia Web Drivers my screen turns black, halfway the Apple Boot Screen and I dont get any Signal from it, unless I disable in Clover to load the Nvidia Web Drivers. So I disabled SIP and tried to use the a Fix for Nvidia Cards. But nothing seems to work for me...

Excuse my bad English. Me from Germany :D

I would really appreciate any help.

My Specs:
Mobo: Asus Maximus VIII Ranger
CPU: Intel i5 6600K
RAM: 4x4GB Kingston
GPU: GTX980 Gigabyte Xtreme Edition
Operating System is installed to a M2.Sata 128GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back