Contribute
Register

[Success] Skylake Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, i5-6600, GTX 1070 (Clover/High Sierra)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome, thanks so much! :D I'll give that a go.
I have/had the HDAS to HDEF in clover configurated, maybe that caused the issue?

I tried the AGDPfix, but somehow that didn't work for me. I may have used the wrong version though, now that I think about it.
Did you add kext-dev-mode=1 and disable SIP as well?

@derzaub - Hi again, I've found that the AGDPfix v1.3 works for me. You have to leave it to run though - it takes around a minute to complete in my case - until it pops up a notice that it's finished and it's time to reboot.

As far as I know, the kext-dev-mode=1 boot-arg doesn't work in El Capitan. I would try disabling SIP before doing the AGDPfix, as this may be needed for the modified kext to load. In RtVariables I have this for my SIP settings:
Code:
<key>RtVariables</key>
<dict>
     <key>BooterConfig</key>
     <string>0x28</string>
     <key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
     <string>0x67</string>
</dict>
If you still want to go the MacPro6,1 route, shilohh's created a very useful guide on creating an SSDT that will solve the black-screen-on-boot problem using device injection, and this would survive changes to your DSDT (if you want to use one). More information here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/ssdt-gpu-graphics-card-injection.183354/

Last edited:
Thanks, USB is working now. At least all ports are recognized!

I still have some "unable to start IOHIDDevice" Errors upon boot, and Keyboard / Mouse sometimes don't work initially on login, but if I replug them they work. Still remember, this is Sierra beta and may be the cause of the problem.

But I did discover something strange maybe you have an idea about. I do dual boot to Windows 10 and I did compare power consumption on MAC vs Win. There is a significant difference: under Windows the Systems takes 70W of power in idle desktop, in MAC its nearly double that much with 130W constantly. I do know that Powermanagement is working on my Hack, the CPU is cycling down very well. Case-FANS are controller via BIOS, not software in neither Win or MAC. What els could explain such a difference in power consumption? Maybe the Graphicscard is not that well clocked with the nvidia-web drivers? Maybe you have an idea. Thanks.

...I do dual boot to Windows 10 and I did compare power consumption on MAC vs Win. There is a significant difference: under Windows the Systems takes 70W of power in idle desktop, in MAC its nearly double that much with 130W constantly. I do know that Powermanagement is working on my Hack, the CPU is cycling down very well. Case-FANS are controller via BIOS, not software in neither Win or MAC. What els could explain such a difference in power consumption? Maybe the Graphicscard is not that well clocked with the nvidia-web drivers? Maybe you have an idea. Thanks.
@boerse - Hi that does sound a bit strange. I've just had a Smart Energy Meter installed in my flat, and with that I can see my PC uses 80W of power at idle in both Windows & Mac - in fact, it uses a few Watts less in OS X.

One thing you could try is downloading the latest HWSensors package from here: http://hwsensors.com/releases

Open the dmg, and copy CPUSensors, GPUSensors and LPCSensors kexts to your Clover's kext folder. Then install the HWMonitor.app in your Applications folder - set it to start at login in its preferences - and reboot. On next boot, you can see if your Graphics Card and CPU is clocking down correctly by viewing the HWSensors.app in your menu-bar (there should also be some power information).

You could also try installing Intel's Power Gadget for OS X from here (I think it's recently been updated for Skylake processors). This is another way to see if your CPU Power Management is working correctly in OS X but, as you say, your CPU is cycling down well, so it could be to do with your GPU.

I'm also assuming you've created an SSDT.aml for your CPU, using the ssdtPRGen script, and its in your ACPI -> Patched folder :thumbup:.

Last edited:
@derzaub - Hi again, I've found that the AGDPfix v1.3 works for me. You have to leave it to run though - it takes around a minute to complete in my case - until it pops up a notice that it's finished and it's time to reboot.

As far as I know, the kext-dev-mode=1 boot-arg doesn't work in El Capitan. I would try disabling SIP before doing the AGDPfix, as this may be needed for the modified kext to load. In RtVariables I have this for my SIP settings:
Code:
<key>RtVariables</key>
<dict>
     <key>BooterConfig</key>
     <string>0x28</string>
     <key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
     <string>0x67</string>
</dict>
If you still want to go the MacPro6,1 route, shilohh's created a very useful guide on creating an SSDT that will solve the black-screen-on-boot problem using device injection, and this would survive changes to your DSDT (if you want to use one). More information here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/ssdt-gpu-graphics-card-injection.183354/

Thanks for the SIP settings - that and the current version seemed to have done the trick :) Also, since I'm now on iMac17,1, the generated ssdtPRgen now generated a perfectly fine setting that actually changed the performance. Before, I had a "your mac needs to be restarted due to an error" panic and no change in OS, now Intel Power Gadget confirms the CPU to actually be running at it's OCed speed (4.7ghz) :)
Thanks again!

@kristof.petho - Hi, in the end I settled on the MacPro6,1 SMBIOS. This is because I could create an SSDT-1.aml file (using this guide) which fixed the black-screen-on-startup problem with the MacPro6,1 SMBIOS. I think you can also achieve the same result, by editing your DSDT.aml, or entering a Clover kext patch in your config.plist.

So, using MacPro6,1, just meant I didn't have to reapply a blackscreen fix (via ADGPfix.app) every time a system update came along, as I would with the iMac17,1 SMBIOS. Also, I had a small problem, whereby I had a long pause every time I restarted my Hackintosh. This only happened if I used wifi (BCM94360CD card) with the iMac17,1 SMBIOS - using an MacPro6,1 SMBIOS cured this problem for me.

One drawback, is that the lowest speed my Hackintosh idles at is now 1.0GHz - with the iMac17,1 SMBIOS, it would reach 0.8GHz when idling. I assume this is because the Skylake CPU in an iMac17,1, is a better match for the Skylake processor in my Hackintosh. However, using Geekbench 4 with a MacPro6,1 SMBIOS, I get the same CPU score in OS X as I do under Windows :thumbup:

Last edited:
@kristof.petho - Hi, in the end I settled on the MacPro6,1 SMBIOS. This is because I could create an SSDT-1.aml file (using this guide) which fixed the black-screen-on-startup problem with the MacPro6,1 SMBIOS. I think you can also achieve the same result, by editing your DSDT.aml, or entering a Clover kext patch in your config.plist.

So, using MacPro6,1, just meant I didn't have to reapply a blackscreen fix (via ADGPfix.app) every time a system update came along, as I would with the iMac17,1 SMBIOS. Also, I had a small problem, whereby I had a long pause every time I restarted my Hackintosh. This only happened if I used wifi (BCM94360CD card) with the iMac17,1 SMBIOS - using an MacPro6,1 SMBIOS cured this problem for me.

One drawback, is that the lowest speed my Hackintosh idles at is now 1.0GHz - with the iMac17,1 SMBIOS, it would reach 0.8GHz when idling. I assume this is because the Skylake CPU in an iMac17,1, is a better match for the Skylake processor in my Hackintosh. However, using Geekbench 4 with a MacPro6,1 SMBIOS, I get the same CPU score in OS X as I do under Windows :thumbup:

Thanks, sounds excellent, I now am also running MacPro6,1 SMBIOS! I have created an SSDT-1.aml based on the guide, now no black screen! :)

And let me also help you a bit:

https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/freqVectorsEdit.sh

Use this to set the CPU PM profile to iMac17,1! This is then the best of both worlds:
- Having the flexibility of MacPro6,1 SMBIOS with every addin card working
- Having the CPU power management of Skylake!

And let me also help you a bit:

https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/freqVectorsEdit.sh

Use this to set the CPU PM profile to iMac17,1! This is then the best of both worlds:
- Having the flexibility of MacPro6,1 SMBIOS with every addin card working
- Having the CPU power management of Skylake!
@kristof.petho - Hi, what an excellent find, and thanks for sharing this with me! (I'll try and update my OP with this new information when I can).

I used to do this manually, on my old Ivy Bridge system, but stopped doing it as I had to redo the process (which involved editing kexts, copying plists then repairing permissions) after each OS X update. I didn't know there was a script out there, that automated the whole process :)

I've just run it and applied the iMac17,1 CPU PM profile, and am now getting down to 800MHz when idling. I also assume that CPU power management will work better with a native Skylake profile. Many thanks for your help with this :thumbup:

Last edited:
@kristof.petho - Hi, what an excellent find, and thanks for sharing this with me! (I'll try and update my OP with this new information when I can).

I used to do this manually, on my old Ivy Bridge system, but stopped doing it as I had to redo the process (which involved editing kexts, copying plists then repairing permissions) after each OS X update. I didn't know there was a script out there, that automated the whole process :)

I've just run it and applied the iMac17,1 CPU PM profile, and am now getting down to 800MHz when idling. I also assume that CPU power management will work better with a native Skylake profile. Many thanks for your help with this :thumbup:

Awesome!
I just tried a fresh install of latest Sierra GM with MacPro6,1 definition. It works, but boot time is ~10 minutes due to a lot of errors.
iMac14,2 works like a charm though, boot time of 20 seconds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back