Success Sierra GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2 - and fixed my no shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
CPU
Nehalem Quad Core 3.2 GHz - X58A-UD3R Rev 2
Graphics
Geforce 660
This is my first OSX86 machine that I built as vanilla as possible for Lion in 2011. When I went to Mavericks in 2013 I replaced my AMD card with a Geforce 660 to make things even easier. When I decided to go to Sierra, I decided to start from scratch with a new drive.

At first everything seemed to easy. Downloaded OSX Sierra with my Macbook Air. Installed using Clover Legacy, Realtek drivers, Leagcy, 3rd party SATA and eSATA, NIC controller, USB 3.0. That's it. Worked great. My W7 pro drives boot, everythings happy.

I started adding software and setting everything the way I like it over the next few days. No problems.

Then...

I go to clone my drive as I am now satisfied that I'm good, and I get distracted. I go to shut down my machine, but my eSATA drive is still mounted. I hit shut down. My instinct told me, I should have unmounted that drive first, but oh well. Big surprise now, it won't shut down. Start searching around and I see this is a very common problem.

I tried:
- Disable LAN on wake up in BIOS - still broke
- Fixshutdown in clover - no luck
- FixFirewire (I have a PCI FW400/800 card) - no luck
- Disable eSATA in BIOS - SUCCESS! Shut down works every time now.

This 'fix' I'm sure is not for everyone, but as my back up drives have FW800 and most of my backups are on my NAS, I don't care. Maybe all the people who don't have this problem have never mounted an eSATA drive before.

So that's my story. I don't post very often, but I have been using this site since 2011, and this machine continues to get me by. Sierra is working great. BTW: I never use sleep or iMessage on my desktop, so I have no idea if it works.

I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts as to why eSATA would cause this, or if this even makes any sense. Maybe it was just a coincidence but I doubt it.

Thank you.

This is my first OSX86 machine that I built as vanilla as possible for Lion in 2011. When I went to Mavericks in 2013 I replaced my AMD card with a Geforce 660 to make things even easier. When I decided to go to Sierra, I decided to start from scratch with a new drive.

At first everything seemed to easy. Downloaded OSX Sierra with my Macbook Air. Installed using Clover Legacy, Realtek drivers, Leagcy, 3rd party SATA and eSATA, NIC controller, USB 3.0. That's it. Worked great. My W7 pro drives boot, everythings happy.

I started adding software and setting everything the way I like it over the next few days. No problems.

Then...

I go to clone my drive as I am now satisfied that I'm good, and I get distracted. I go to shut down my machine, but my eSATA drive is still mounted. I hit shut down. My instinct told me, I should have unmounted that drive first, but oh well. Big surprise now, it won't shut down. Start searching around and I see this is a very common problem.

I tried:

This 'fix' I'm sure is not for everyone, but as my back up drives have FW800 and most of my backups are on my NAS, I don't care. Maybe all the people who don't have this problem have never mounted an eSATA drive before.

So that's my story. I don't post very often, but I have been using this site since 2011, and this machine continues to get me by. Sierra is working great. BTW: I never use sleep or iMessage on my desktop, so I have no idea if it works.

I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts as to why eSATA would cause this, or if this even makes any sense. Maybe it was just a coincidence but I doubt it.

Thank you.
How did you get your Ethernet to work?

I used RealtekRTL8111 v2.0.0 in multibeast

I was wrong about no shutdown fixed. But I do know how to consistently create a condition that causes it to not shut down and a way to fix that.

Every time I plug in any kind of external hard drive or USB stick (firewire 800, esata, usb) doesn't matter, the machine will no longer shut down. Yes, I eject them. NAS it doesn't care.

I can fix it by booting into windows 7 on clover start up and then next time I boot Sierra, shut down works fine. It works until I plug in another external drive.

Hey DerekDee07, I have a similar setup

I followed this Tutorial exact

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.200564/

I've been at this all day yesterday trying to get Clover to Install Sierra but I keep getting stuck right at the beginning of the install process.

My Specs:
GA-X58A-UD3R
Intel Xeon X5650 @2.67GHz
BIOS Version FH
GTX 960
24GB RAM

I have been trying so many different combinations of boot args to no avail...

20161022_180253.jpg

Please Assist!

I just tried the Clover guide to installing Sierra

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-install-os-x-mavericks-using-clover.125632/

I used the exact Settings as follows after using terminal to copy over the Sierra installation file

View attachment 216986 View attachment 216987 View attachment 216988

and this is the error I'm getting on my CPU now

View attachment 216989
That's a boot errror.

Clover not installed in the correct partition if you're using an older system you need a legacy installation of clover or you're booting from the wrong hard drive?

Then...

I tried:

Thank you.

Hello, can you explain me how to fixshutdown in clover? thx

I just tried the Clover guide to installing Sierra
Why are you selecting UEFI 64 drivers to be installed on a Legacy boot Clover?

Why are you selecting UEFI 64 drivers to be installed on a Legacy boot Clover?
thats what the guide says for legacy in their screenshot

I just made another USB drive using only this...

Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 7.36.52 PM.png

and I'm getting the same error

20161023_194056.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back