Components​

Case Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
CPU Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i
MOBO GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD4H
GPU EVGA GTX 770 4 GB
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 32GB
PSU Seasonic SS 760 XP2
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD X 2 (one per OS)
Storage WD 2TB SATA Black x 2
PCIE StarTech 3 Port 1394 PCI Express FireWire
WIFI TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 PCIe*See Comments*
Drive Bay NZXT Aperture M Internal 5.25 Card Reader
Monitor Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27-Inch
Other OtherIOGEAR GBU521 Bluetooth 4.0 USB
Fans Noctua F12, P12 & P14 fans

Comments

This was my first build ever. To quote Jurassic Park, I "spared no expense". As a video editor I needed a killer editing and graphics machine, plus a monster gaming rig on the windows side.

This build and install was fairly painless, due to this wonderful community. Any problems I ran into, I was easily able to find a solution by searching the Tonymac forums.

OUT-OF-CASE TEST: This was recommended to me to do, and I pass on the recommendation to you. Hook up all the basics outside the case to make sure they work before installing everything in your case.

IMG_20140404_095803.jpg

I installed the CPU with the stock fan, and the ram, hooked them up to the PSU and made sure the BIOS loaded.

COOLING: This thing is a cool as cucumber. I decided to install the radiator in the front intake with a Push-Pull config. which meant I moved my HDD bays back to make room. really had no problems.

GPU: My first pick was obviously the 780ti, but I was scared to death that I wouldn't be able to get it working since it's not 100% supported yet. But the 770 4GB works amazing OOTB. If you're doing any kind of video editor or graphics work, GET THIS CARD.I haven't overclocked it yet, but it's built in cooler is a BEAST. Even when gaming, Within 60 seconds after closing down heavily modded game of Skyrim, it goes back down to 25°C! Truly awesome.

WIFI: I originally bought this Asus USB A56U Adapter. But even after installing the 10.9 drivers from the Asus website, it was still freezing OSX. Without it, OSX worked great. I think the drivers just aren't fully working on 10.9.2 yet. PLUS it had it's own separate WIFI utility that was annoying to work with. The TP-LINK TK-WDN4800 Card works OOTB just like it shows in the buyers guide.

Installation

I simply followed this Guild to Dual Booting Mountain Lion & Windows 8. It was the same process for installing Mavericks 10.9.2.

I would really highly recommend installing each OS on it's own drive. It eliminates several potential problems.

**When booting from the usb/install disk the first time, as well as the second time when you use MultiBeast, you must type GraphicsEnabler=no maxmem=4096. Once you have installed your drivers with multibeast, you no longer need to add these, and you're memory will show correctly!

So far I've had no freezing issues or any other issues due to having all 4 mem slots full.

OSX: Right after I did this build, every so often I'd get a kernel panic on boot, but after restarting it booted up fine. I haven't had any kernel panics for over a week.

WINDOWS:
Make sure when you install windows that you create a Recovery Partition (it will ask you to during the install). And when you want to boot into windows, CHOOSE THE RECOVERY PARTITION, NOT THE DRIVE YOU INSTALLED IT ONTO. It was not clear to me that I needed to do that, and caused much frustration at first. But Chimera does something funky to the loader on the windows side and you cant boot from it. But choosing the recovery partition lets you boot into your windows install just fine!

MultiBeast Configuration

73331d1384017303-installation-help-ga-z87x-ud4h-4770k-screen-shot-2013-11-09-12.14.35-pm.png
This was truly a blast to do, it is a beast of a machine. I will post any edits/updates when and if they happen. Thanks to Tonymac and everyone on it that made this possible!

[Success] Shentheory's Multi-Hero Build: i7-477K - GA-Z87X-UD4H - EVGA GTX 770

VERY nice build!!!!!!!

I actually haven't really tried messing with PM just yet, but will update when I do.

I actually haven't really tried messing with PM just yet, but will update when I do.

thank you. other question: which setting did you choose on bios for ram memory? xmp profile 1 or auto or profile2?

Hey shentheory,
My hardware is very similar to yours and you've had the most recent success. I'm trying to install 10.9.3 but I'm getting stuck when it's trying to load the graphics. When using integrated graphics, it stops after starting bluetooth ie [IOBluetoothHCIController][start]. When using my PNY GTX 770, the screen goes black.

Current BIOS settings:
- Init Display First PCIe 1
- Intel Virtualization Disabled
- XHCI Auto
- XHCI & EHCI handoffs set to enabled

Now the questions:
Did you use integrated (IGFX) or GTX 770 during initial install? You used GraphicsEnabler=No so I'm assuming you used GTX. Did you disable integrated video in BIOS? When creating your USB with UniBeast, did you select Legacy USB and Laptop Support?

Thanks in advance and any help is much appreciated!

When [IOBluetoothHCIController][start] shows up you are I think almost at the end of the boot process - but sometimes it stays there and does something in background - on 10.9.2 i had to wait 10min sometimes to get into installer

For the GTX 770 you should use the nvidia web drivers they perform better than OSX ones

Also try PCIRootUID=1 it helped with graphics in 10.9.3 in my case

How much are your Geekbench scores? Oh I almost forgot: very nice build
:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back