Contribute
Register

[Success] Project "iDell" XPS 8300 *10.6.8 /64bit!*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: [Success] Project "iDell" XPS 8300 *Updated to 10.6.8*

I was worried about upgrading too, but after creating a backup, I went for it. After installing the updated nvidia drivers, I haven't had any problems at all.

theabbot said:
I was worried about upgrading too, but after creating a backup, I went for it. After installing the updated nvidia drivers, I haven't had any problems at all.

Are you using the intel HD graphics? I have HD 2000.

The other problem I may be facing is that I have my drive partitioned and one partition is NTFS.

I used the card that the OP reported having success with. A PNY Geforce 210.

Also, I am using a TB drive with only one partition. Playing it safe. ;)

Currently, the only cards ive tested, and had working, are a PNY GeForce 210, and a Galaxy nVidia GT 430. The 430 is a bit trickier to get working, but the 210 is a solid card, if u dont plan to do any gaming. the 430 will play WoW @ 60 FPS all day on moderate settings ( drop shadows down to "Fair" and yer good.)

The 210 will run your resoultion that you seek, along with dual displays ( DVI +VGA only so far).

~~Grave

@sasherm13 .. If you happen to have a 120 GiB or so HDD laying around, make a clone of your NTFS partition, then change the NTFS partiton to FAT (MS-DOS) in the disc utility using OS X. once thats done, you can install Windows on the FAT drive ( it will make it into NTFS) and re-install EasyBeast for a "Native" dual boot. :)

~~Grave

Gravewyrm said:
@sasherm13 .. If you happen to have a 120 GiB or so HDD laying around, make a clone of your NTFS partition, then change the NTFS partiton to FAT (MS-DOS) in the disc utility using OS X. once thats done, you can install Windows on the FAT drive ( it will make it into NTFS) and re-install EasyBeast for a "Native" dual boot. :)

~~Grave

That's what I did. I cloned the install that came with the 8300 onto an external HD then I formatted and partitioned using the OSX disk utility. I then restored the Win7 install to the extra partition. Both are recognized in chameleon and I can choose which to boot.

My only problem lies with 10.6.8. I may take the plunge again tomorrow and see if my new install of OSX (after the last 10.6.8 attempt) will make the transition without problems.

sasherm13 said:
Gravewyrm said:

~~Grave

That's what I did. I cloned the install that came with the 8300 onto an external HD then I formatted and partitioned using the OSX disk utility. I then restored the Win7 install to the extra partition. Both are recognized in chameleon and I can choose which to boot.

My only problem lies with 10.6.8. I may take the plunge again tomorrow and see if my new install of OSX (after the last 10.6.8 attempt) will make the transition without problems.

You know, you can regain some serious resources if you just install Win7 with the supplied OS DVD that came with your Dell. Its free of all the bloated crap that is pre-installed, AND its pre-activated. No activation if you re-install it to the same hardware that the machine came with (MoBo and CPU specifically).

I had it running at 36 running processes after a fresh install using the provided OS DVD. Thats before any updates of course. After, it was hovering around 50-ish if i recall correctly. Might want to look into doing that. Dual boot with very smooth and fast running OS's without any bloat = the goal of all geeks. :)

~~Grave

I'm away from my machine to check, but do any of you know off hand if the optical audio out jack is working on the 8300?

theabbot said:
I'm away from my machine to check, but do any of you know off hand if the optical audio out jack is working on the 8300?

I have no way to test the SPDIF at the moment. It is listed under the outputs in sound settings, but unknown if it will work with the VooDoo drivers.

If anyone else has a receiver that accepts SPDIF could test and confirm / deny if it works, that would be helpful for some, im sure.

~~Grave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back