Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Optiplex 5040 Ventura Install Stuck on [EB|LOG:EXITBS:START]

it was long weekend and i feel so stupid but Ventura is up and I think it runs ok... at least for 15 mins... when I have found way to disable CFG Lock, everything was super easy... ofc... it took me some time cause that tutorial is not "for dummies"...

only issue that i had in installation part was that setup has been tucked on part when i have to connect to wifi... restart didn't help, but it helped connecting with LAN and leaving WIFI setup for later...

i have question... you have mentioned that you have disabled "Above 4G Encoding"... is that "Above 4GB MMIO BIOS assignment" in my bios file?

it was long weekend and i feel so stupid but Ventura is up and I think it runs ok... at least for 15 mins... when I have found way to disable CFG Lock, everything was super easy... ofc... it took me some time cause that tutorial is not "for dummies"...

only issue that i had in installation part was that setup has been tucked on part when i have to connect to wifi... restart didn't help, but it helped connecting with LAN and leaving WIFI setup for later...

i have question... you have mentioned that you have disabled "Above 4G Encoding"... is that "Above 4GB MMIO BIOS assignment" in my bios file?
Yes I think it was named something like that, I believe it is enabled by default but I’d double check with mod grub (act like you’re changing the variable but don’t enter a value and it’ll return with the current then check that against your efi dump)

In Dell's case it is CPU XD
I now have a fully functional install of Ventura (DRM doesn't work but is to be expected without dGPU)
If anyone has questions just send a message and I'll try to respond asap. I doubt there's enough interest in this pc to warrant a full guide but I will make one if necessary.
Hi mate, I'd really appreciate it if you could write a small guide - I've recently stumbled upon a 5040 with an i7-6700 16GB of RAM so wouldn't mind giving it a go.

Hi mate, I'd really appreciate it if you could write a small guide - I've recently stumbled upon a 5040 with an i7-6700 16GB of RAM so wouldn't mind giving it a go.
I am pretty busy this week so I'm not sure I have the time to write a full guide but if you get stuck I'd be happy to help. Mainly just follow the dortania guide, before install make sure to disable cfglock through uefimod. (sparknotes are you dump your bios in windows, doesnt have to be an activated copy, then use biostool to search for the variable, then use opencore's uefimodtool or whatever its called to check the value of the variable to make sure its the right one then set it to the correct variable for disabled cfg. Repeat with any other options not provided in bios that exist in the bios dump.) That's really the only tricky step, Dell just renamed one of their bios options confusing me and getting me stuck for so long, "CPU XD" or something. Otherwise, a pretty easy machine to hack.

I am pretty busy this week so I'm not sure I have the time to write a full guide but if you get stuck I'd be happy to help. Mainly just follow the dortania guide, before install make sure to disable cfglock through uefimod. (sparknotes are you dump your bios in windows, doesnt have to be an activated copy, then use biostool to search for the variable, then use opencore's uefimodtool or whatever its called to check the value of the variable to make sure its the right one then set it to the correct variable for disabled cfg. Repeat with any other options not provided in bios that exist in the bios dump.) That's really the only tricky step, Dell just renamed one of their bios options confusing me and getting me stuck for so long, "CPU XD" or something. Otherwise, a pretty easy machine to hack.
I've downloaded the tool and ran uefimod and nothing happened. I've attached my EFI. I've been through the guide step by step and I can only get to

[EB|LOG:EXITBS:START]​

I'm starting to think it is USB related?

Attachments

• EFI.rar
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
I've downloaded the tool and ran uefimod and nothing happened. I've attached my EFI. I've been through the guide step by step and I can only get to

[EB|LOG:EXITBS:START]​

I'm starting to think it is USB related?
Nothing happened as in you couldn't get into the tool? The tool should be accessible regardless of configuration and the error should only appear when booting to macOS. I checked the EFI and usb mapping is missing. There's a tool for windows that will create all of this for you- USBtoolbox on GitHub. the GitHub page and program both walk you through it, just make sure you have 15 ports or less (I believe you have to exclude two ports for this machine, I chose two usb2.0 on the back to not-select)

Nothing happened as in you couldn't get into the tool? The tool should be accessible regardless of configuration and the error should only appear when booting to macOS. I checked the EFI and usb mapping is missing. There's a tool for windows that will create all of this for you- USBtoolbox on GitHub. the GitHub page and program both walk you through it, just make sure you have 15 ports or less (I believe you have to exclude two ports for this machine, I chose two usb2.0 on the back to not-select)
I've mapped the USB ports but I had a hell of a time disabling CFG Lock via modGRUB but got there in the end. I'm currently installing Ventura using iMac 18,1 with platform ID for Kabylake. Fingers crossed.

I have it installed with the platform id changed... what did you use for the device ID for kaby lake? Here is my efi.Graphics won't work for some reason or other

Attachments

• EFI.rar
    3.7 MB · Views: 30
I have it installed with the platform id changed... what did you use for the device ID for kaby lake? Here is my efi.Graphics won't work for some reason or other
Using the igpu patch in the guide, find one of the 0x5912 kabylake id's that matches the ports on your machine as close as possible. like 2dp 1hdmi

Back