Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Optiplex 5040 Ventura Install Stuck on [EB|LOG:EXITBS:START]

Hi, follow the pics for bios. 1st thing is to restore BIOS to default.
To answer your NVMe question, I am using 1TB SanDisk (sn560e) that I picked up from Costco on sale. I removed it out of the casing and inserted in PCIe port. So it boot from internal drive.
Edit, I am using latest bios sw
May I ask what processor is installed? I5-6500 does not have hyperthreading support so we must have different processors

May I ask what processor is installed? I5-6500 does not have hyperthreading support so we must have different processors
I have i7-6700 but the system shows i5. I think because of the SMBIOS selection.

Other options is to try different USB thumb drives, different USB port, redownload the installer, try different OS versions. Different opencore ver.
Also, it could be your HDD. Unplug all of them.
Reconnect only the desk you want the installation on. Make sure to format it to MacOS compatible.. etc
And last but not least, you may need someone who 8s a lot smarter than me.

Other options is to try different USB thumb drives, different USB port, redownload the installer, try different OS versions. Different opencore ver.
Reconnect only the desk you want the installation on. Make sure to format it to MacOS compatible.. etc
Still a no go :/ it would be cool if a mod could help tho

I KNEW IT WAS SOMETHING STUPID!!! Dell names execute disable bit something different. I tried enabling their version in the bios and I got a kp!!! never have been happier to get a kernel panic. I used a heavily edited config file. Replaced it with the one you sent updated smbios and sure enough it booted to installer!!! I feel so stupid haha

Dell names execute disable bit something different. I tried enabling their version in the bios and I got a kp!!! never have been happier to get a kernel panic.
For those who read this post later on, what is Dell calling "execute disable bit" in your BIOS ?

It's generally called DEP or NX technology.

Last edited:
For those who read this post later on, what is Dell calling "execute disable bit" in your BIOS ?

It's generally called DEP or NX technology.
In Dell's case it is CPU XD
I now have a fully functional install of Ventura (DRM doesn't work but is to be expected without dGPU)
If anyone has questions just send a message and I'll try to respond asap. I doubt there's enough interest in this pc to warrant a full guide but I will make one if necessary.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    15.5 MB · Views: 105
In Dell's case it is CPU XD
I now have a fully functional install of Ventura (DRM doesn't work but is to be expected without dGPU)
If anyone has questions just send a message and I'll try to respond asap. I doubt there's enough interest in this pc to warrant a full guide but I will make one if necessary.
DELL Optiplex SFF 5040
Sleep/wake works
used ssdtime to make ssdt's
USBtoolbox for Mapping (done in windows) (disabled the USB2.0-only ports for a total of 14 ports which is less than 15 port limit)
Used modgrubshell to modify bios variables for 64mb DVMT, Disable CFG Lock, and enable Above 4G Encoding
Bios settings as listed in Dortania Opencore Guide (Make sure CPU XD is enabled)
Installed on a USB 3.0 drive & port
OpenCore Aux Tools for editing plist
Installed on NVME so using NVMEfix kext
Using a genuine Mac mini Wifi card with pcie adapter BCRM460C2 (native support=DON'T TRY TO PATCH)
i5-6500 IGPU HD530 with platform/device id spoofed to 0x59120000 (no other patching was required)
Internal speaker works have not tested HDMI however it is detected and appears to work.
Going to install windows 11 in a little bit
If there's anything important I missed let me know
Good luck :)

DELL Optiplex SFF 5040

USBtoolbox for Mapping (done in windows) (disabled the USB2.0-only ports for a total of 14 ports which is less than 15 port limit)
Used modgrubshell to modify bios variables for 64mb DVMT, Disable CFG Lock, and enable Above 4G Encoding
Bios settings as listed in Dortania Opencore Guide (Make sure CPU XD is enabled)
Sorry, I am beginner and cant google how to make this part... can you help me with that?

Back