Contribute
Register

[Success] nab’s INTEL NUC DC3217IYE (CLOVER/Yosemite)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[success] nab’s INTEL NUC DC3217IYE, i3-3217U (ethernet edition)

I was able to install 10.10 and get it to boot using MultiBeast/Chimera but there were problems with graphics and Bluetooth.

I was able to get a working installation using Clover, and I have included a brief explanation below. Everything works bar:
  • I can't wake the NUC using a mouse or keyboard (either USB or bluetooth), it does however wake when pressing the power button.
  • I could not test imessage because my appleId is locked (I did get as far as the ‘contact apple with this customer code’ warning, so I guess it is logging in correctly).

Notes
I used the tonymac guide:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-desktop-guides/125632-how-install-os-x-mavericks-using-clover.html

The basic steps are:
  1. Download 10.10 from the app store
  2. prepare a guid partitioned USB flash drive with a single partition
  3. install a bootable version of 10.10 to the flash drive[SUP]1[/SUP]
  4. install clover on the flash drive (see link above for clover settings)
  5. boot from the flash drive and install 10.10
  6. install clover on the NUC (see link above for settings)

Clover creates an EFI partition that holds files and configuration information for your particular hardware set up. In my case the partition is mounted to /Volumes/ESP - there is a utility called Clover Configurator that will mount the partition if you do not know how, see guide for link.

Clover can be set-up to suit your particular hardware configuration. For instance it can apply common patches to the DSTD tables, or to supply certain boot parameters when starting up. All the configuration options are included in a config.plist file that is placed on the PC's EFI partition:

/Volumes/ESP/CLOVER/config.plist

I have a patched DSTD.aml[SUP]2[/SUP] to enable support for HTML audio, and it is placed here:

/Volumes/ESP/CLOVER/ACPI/patched

the attached config.plist is set to apply some other fixes to this file.

The final step is to install the mandatory FakeSCM kext and also the AppleIntelE1000e kext to enable the ethernet port - these go in the machine's S/L/E directory as normal (you can use multibeast to install them if you are unsure).

Note clover can be set to load these kexts on boot, but it will result in slower boots than installing them directly.
c.f http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282787-clover-v2-instructions/#entry1853406

The attached config.plist file is set up so that if FakeSMC is already loaded in the kernel cache then the kexts installed in the EFI/CLOVER directory are not injected.

warning about TRIM enabler
you can get this to work but read the instructions carefully else you will not be able to boot your system and it is a faff to get it working again:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298507-enable-trim-on-non-apple-ssd/

footnotes
[SUP]1[/SUP]the guide above is for Mavericks, you need to change the directory paths for Yosemite and also set the --volume parameter to where your flash drive is mounted
Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume  /Volumes/Install --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --no interaction
[SUP]2[/SUP] extracted from v42 bios
View attachment config.plist
View attachment DSDT.aml

if you have set up your flash drive with the command in the footnote of my post, and installed clover to the flash drive as per the link above (now fixed) you should see a bootable device called:
Install OS X Mavericks.

You can get the kexts from here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=11

FakeSMC is mandatory, AppleIntelE1000e if you are using ethernet.

Note the tonymac86 guide suggests you need to copy these to /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10 on the USB flash drive (you’ll have to create the 10.10 folder - the guide says 10.9 but was written for the earlier version of OSX). However, I am not sure if it is a requirement - it seems there is an option to 'inject kexts', which I never used, so perhaps FameSMC is injected automatically?

it took a few minutes to get to the installer, and about 30 mins to install

Note the tonymac86 guide suggests you need to copy these to /EFI/Clover/kexts/10.10 on the USB flash drive (you’ll have to create the 10.10 folder - the guide says 10.9 but was written for the earlier version of OSX). However, I am not sure if it is a requirement - it seems there is an option to 'inject kexts', which I never used, so perhaps FameSMC is injected automatically?

this post explains how clover injects kexts ...
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284656-clover-general-discussion/page-33#entry1870730

I am using clover to boot in UEFI mode

There were fixes to the bios between v39 and v42 but I do not know if they are causing your problems.

up : "The final step is to install the mandatory FakeSCM kext and also the AppleIntelE1000e kext to enable the ethernet port - these go in S/L/E as normal (you can use multibeast if you are unsure)." that once the installation process done I guess ?

... that's right. If I were you I would go back to the tonymac guide and follow the steps exactly - you can worry about all the other details after you get the installer to run.

What are the steps you made for UEFI Clover on the NUC ?
I'm really new to Clover and don't understand it as good as Multibeas & Unibeast.

What are the steps you made for UEFI Clover on the NUC ?
I'm really new to Clover and don't understand it as good as Multibeas & Unibeast.
Post 92

Hi,

I've had a good read around, but I'm still unsure what the process is to patch from 10.9.2 to 10.9.5. I have been having some SMB issues, which I see is addressed in the latest release.

I have 10.9.2, which I installed with multibeat 6.2.1. I'm not sure whether I should re-do Multibeast with 6.5, upgrade and then reinstall with Multibeast again - or whether it's easy enough to just upgrade.

I use my NUC as a media centre, so losing HDMI Audio is the big concern.

Thanks

Sorry, I'm no longer running 10.9 so can't advise.

10.10.1 automatically installed without problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back