Contribute
Register

[Success] MSI X99a SLI - NVMe - GTX 970 Triple Monitor - High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took me a long time to get this working. The x99 boards can be notoriously painful to install and I read through a million posts. The existing install guides weren't the problem, it was the precise combinations of parameters, efi's and kexts that took time to figure out.

I had problems with the infamous 'Couldn't allocate runtime area' error but that seems fixed with the attached EFI as well.

I made minimal changes to my BIOS:
- VT-D OFF
- Above 4G decoding ON

I've removed the serials in the attached config.plist to prevent potential conflicts. You can create your own with Clover Configurator in the sections SMBIOS and RT Variables.

One of the many problems I had was that the NVMe drive was recognised as an external drive, in which case you can't install High Sierra on it. This is fixed with the SSDT-NVMe-extern-icon-patch.aml file. Your NVMe drive could be allocated to a different slot, in which case you may have to edit EFI/ACPI/patched/SSDT-NVMe-extern-icon-patch.aml

One more thing, make sure you're using a USB2.0 port during the installation (for USB drive, keyboard and mouse). USB 3.0 works fine afterwards.

Hope others won't have to go through the same pain as I did :)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    28.4 MB · Views: 142
Hi , it took me 9 days to get it going but managed in the end ! I got elcapitan going , this was a couple years ago , I’m fear of I haven’t bothered to upgrade. I’m thinking about doing it now to high Sierra. Which guide did you follow ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back