Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Mountain Lion, GA-Z77X-UD5H, i7 3770 Ivy Bridge, GTX 670

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you set the recommended settings in the BIOS? The ones in the guide on the first post are what I use.
Yes, i have followed all the guides for UEFI BIOS, unibeast etc..

Just made a very similar build - same motherboard, graphics card and the i3770K version of the CPU.

It's amazing - this is practically plug and play. I wasn't expecting it to be so easy, but even my old USB Soundsticks are working with it. The only things I had to touch in the BIOS were the memory clock speed to speed it up to 1600MHz and the 'wake from LAN' option to stop it rebooting every time I switched it off. No flashing of firmware or anything like that. The DVD drive is a Samsung, works perfectly.

Unibeast worked first time, and I actually completed the Mountain Lion setup and imported all my data from my old Mac before I remembered to run Multibeast, but still no problems at all.

Never built a computer before.

garner, Welcome to the Club! :clap: Enjoy your hackintosh!

I was a long time Apple computer use before the Fall of 2010. Discovered this site and built two computers within 6 months. Tonymacx86's recommended components and guides made it as easy as falling off a log. :thumbup:

Cheers! The Hackintosh is still going strong, no major issues so far. It doesn't switch audio outputs automatically between the front panel sockets and the Soundsticks when a headphone jack is plugged in - I've had to leave a shortcut to the Audio MIDI Setup on the desktop so I can change it manually. Not a big problem, though.

It's the snappiest computer I've ever used. I installed Unreal Tournament 2004, which was a decent hardware test when I last played games on a Mac, and it gets something like 500 frames per second. If Apple hadn't removed the DVD drive from the new iMacs, I'd have bought one of those rather than build this one. Very glad I didn't go down that route now.

Cheers! The Hackintosh is still going strong, no major issues so far. It doesn't switch audio outputs automatically between the front panel sockets and the Soundsticks when a headphone jack is plugged in - I've had to leave a shortcut to the Audio MIDI Setup on the desktop so I can change it manually. Not a big problem, though.

It's the snappiest computer I've ever used. I installed Unreal Tournament 2004, which was a decent hardware test when I last played games on a Mac, and it gets something like 500 frames per second. If Apple hadn't removed the DVD drive from the new iMacs, I'd have bought one of those rather than build this one. Very glad I didn't go down that route now.
You get more bang for your buck, and in my opinion, it's a lot of fun trying to build a hackintosh :) Posting from my Lenovo T61 running Lion right now!

Very, very informative thread with lots of very useful info and a very nice OP guide CoBrA2168!

I am considering building a new ML system with new hardware since I've had good success doing it on my Asus G73JH laptop. Have to admit that in order to get audio to work and the keyboard backlighting I've had some help from a few very friendly community guys (also on osx86).

My main system upstairs will probably not handle an attempt to hackintosh it very well since it is at least 4 years old.

Any things I should be aware of when actually buying components? Not sure if rev 1.1 or 1.0 makes a difference on the mainboard. Not sure which exact graphics card I will get but I'm gathering that any similar GTX 660 2gb should be ok and it wouldn't matter that much which exact brand it is. Hopefully I'm right about that. I am also assuming that the actual brand and type of memory (planning to put in 1600-16gb) doesn't really matter as long as it is supported by the mainboard.

In any case, how is your system performing and doing on Win7 ? (or perhaps Win8) and on ML? I mean more in a real life scenario instead of raw benchmarking scores. Since I'm mainly a Windows guy (actually using all Windows systems professionaly as I'm a support/windows engineer). So I'm aiming to get a top notch Win7 system and hopefully a near perfect ML 10.8.2 system.

Very, very informative thread with lots of very useful info and a very nice OP guide CoBrA2168!

I am considering building a new ML system with new hardware since I've had good success doing it on my Asus G73JH laptop. Have to admit that in order to get audio to work and the keyboard backlighting I've had some help from a few very friendly community guys (also on osx86).

My main system upstairs will probably not handle an attempt to hackintosh it very well since it is at least 4 years old.

Any things I should be aware of when actually buying components? Not sure if rev 1.1 or 1.0 makes a difference on the mainboard. Not sure which exact graphics card I will get but I'm gathering that any similar GTX 660 2gb should be ok and it wouldn't matter that much which exact brand it is. Hopefully I'm right about that. I am also assuming that the actual brand and type of memory (planning to put in 1600-16gb) doesn't really matter as long as it is supported by the mainboard.

In any case, how is your system performing and doing on Win7 ? (or perhaps Win8) and on ML? I mean more in a real life scenario instead of raw benchmarking scores. Since I'm mainly a Windows guy (actually using all Windows systems professionaly as I'm a support/windows engineer). So I'm aiming to get a top notch Win7 system and hopefully a near perfect ML 10.8.2 system.

Thanks for the kind words! I treat this thread as my contribution to this awesome community which helped me get started in the first place. I've also made an application that helps sync iTunes on a dual-boot system that I wish someone would help me test! :D

To answer your questions:
1. Yes the revision on the motherboard DOES matter. The rev 1.0 board has an issue where only one of the rear audio jacks will work in Linux/OSX (black only). Also the front headphone jacks won't work in Linux/OSX either. They work fine, however, on a Windows OS. Rev 1.1 corrected this. On the other hand, I think rev 1.1 uses a different ethernet controller for one of the 2 ethernet ports. I believe that this new one doesn't have a working kext for OSX at this point. Don't quote me on this - I'm not 100% sure on that.

2. Video card and memory brand I don't think should matter. I've never seen anything on here that recommends or requires a particular brand of memory. As long as it fits into the motherboard, you should be good. And I think GTX 660, 670, and 680 all pretty much work natively on ML. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here...

3. I'll be honest with ya - I use Windows more too. This computer I built is probably running Win7 85% of the time. The reason I built this computer (other than for the challenge) was for programming and some gaming. Right now I'm working on a project in Windows which is why I'm on that more often than not. What's really nice is, getting into OSX is just a quick reboot away (and when I say quick, I'm talking like 9 seconds tops). Also, this computer is on probably 8-10 hours a day, and it is very stable. I got my first BSOD in Windows the other day, which could be attributed to a couple things (just recently installed MS Visio, SSD glitch, etc.). Overall, I can't complain.

Cool, thx for the answers.

I also noticed some of the Z77 boards use different controllers for audio (VIA) so I'll be paying close attention to this when I make a definitive choice as I have no idea if they will work (the VIA ones). If Only one of the Ethernet ports isn't working atm on ML I could live with that as long as it has 1 working outlet. The more serious issue could potentially be that I want a working dual band connection to my netgear dual band router. Not sure how that would work out as it seems the most recomended PCI adapter people choose is sort of hard to get where I live.

Guess reading through your nice guide and this entire thread has given me enough info to get started (good thing I already hacked a G73JH into a working hackintosh)... That is: once I convince myself to spend 800-900 on a new system (I will probably cannibalise another system for the case and maybe a few other things).

Cool, thx for the answers.

I also noticed some of the Z77 boards use different controllers for audio (VIA) so I'll be paying close attention to this when I make a definitive choice as I have no idea if they will work (the VIA ones). If Only one of the Ethernet ports isn't working atm on ML I could live with that as long as it has 1 working outlet. The more serious issue could potentially be that I want a working dual band connection to my netgear dual band router. Not sure how that would work out as it seems the most recomended PCI adapter people choose is sort of hard to get where I live.

Guess reading through your nice guide and this entire thread has given me enough info to get started (good thing I already hacked a G73JH into a working hackintosh)... That is: once I convince myself to spend 800-900 on a new system (I will probably cannibalise another system for the case and maybe a few other things).

Yeah, and I've been around to answer any questions along the way. I'm by no means an expert, but I've had a long of experience setting this stuff up so if you have questions feel free to post here.

Check the threads about the ethernet controller thing - I could be wrong, both might be working. I do however, know for a fact that the audio problem is corrected in the rev 1.1 board (I personally have a rev 1.0 board :().

The wireless adapter in my guide works on both bands. However, right now, I don't think anyones figured out how to get this board working with channels > 64. I just purchased a dual band router, and noticed that it can output channels 44-159 on 5Ghz, so not an issue for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back