Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] macOS Sierra 10.12.5 | GA-170X-UD3 Ultra | Intel i7-6700k | GTX 1070 | 960 EVO M.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD3 Ultra
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700K
Graphics
MSI GTX 1070
garrettweems' Build: GA-170X-UD3 Ultra | Intel i7-6700k | GTX 1070

Components

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.00 GHz Quad Core Skylake Processor (Amazon, Newegg)

Corsair Hydro H60 Series High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (Amazon, Newegg)

GIGABYTE Z170X-UD3 Ultra Motherboard (Amazon, Newegg)

Ballistix Sport LT (4 x 8GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/s (Gray) (Amazon, Newegg)

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC (Amazon, Newegg)

Samsung 960 EVO Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (Amazon, Newegg)

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (Amazon, Newegg)

Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W 80 PLUS Gold Power Supply (Amazon, Newegg)

TP-Link TL-WDN4800 Wireless-N900 Dual Band PCI-Express Adapter (Amazon, Newegg)

ASUS USB 2.0 Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter (Amazon, Newegg)

IN WIN 703 ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (Amazon, Newegg)

Already Owned

Logitech K780 Multi-Device Wireless Keyboard (Amazon, Newegg)

Logitech MX Master Wireless Mouse (Amazon, Newegg)

LG 29UM58-P 21:9 UltraWide Full HD - 29” (Amazon, Newegg)

Comments

I built this Hackintosh to use as my main work computer replacing my 2014 27” iMac, I do mostly graphic design work in the adobe suite and occasional video editing for personal projects. That being said… Stability was very important for this build as it is my main work computer. The system has been very stable and reliable. I run constant backups and have all of our company files saved to our NAS so even is things every did go South I would never be completely screwed… which is always a good!

Also, I currently have the system running at a very smooth 4.5 GHz OC and hoping to go higher with a better CPU cooler in the future but overall couldn’t be happier with the build and the Hackintosh community overall. It took a lot… I mean A LOT of tinkering to get it where it is but it was also my first Hackintosh so there was definitely a learning curve.

This install is fully compatible with non M.2 two drives, we will go through the complete installation onto a normal SATA SSD/ HDD then afterwards clone our SATA Drive & boot loader onto the M.2 drive.

What Works
  • iMessage
  • Ethernet
  • USB 2.0, 3.0, 3,1
  • USB Type-C
  • Wifi
  • Bluetooth
  • Sounds through HDMI
  • Continuity
  • Sleep, no issues

What Doesn't Work
  • AirDrop between iOS devices
  • Hand off

I am fairly certain that this is because of the N900 wifi card and Bluetooth Dongle I am using.. Continuity works and Airdrop will work if I’m on another Mac and click "search for older computer” but I am still working on getting this fixing and believe that if I bought a WiFi card that had Bluetooth combined things would work without a hitch. WiFi and Bluetooth work flawlessly by themselves but if you know how to enable this with my current setup please let me know!

Installation
  1. Follow tonymacx86's UniBeast: Install macOS Sierra on Any Supported Intel-based PC
    1. Download macOS Sierra
    2. Create a Bootable USB Drive with UniBeast
  2. Flash Update BIOS Firmware (F20)
    1. Download the GA-170X-UD3 Ultra firmware from https://goo.gl/mmLzvy (I am currently using firmware F20)
    2. Set Bios Settings
    • BIOS
    • Fastboot: Disabled
    • Windows 8/10 Features: Other OS
    • LAN PXE Boot Option Rom: Disabled
    • Storage Boot Option Control: UEFI
    • Other PCI Devices: UEFI
    • Peripherals
    • Initial Display Output: PCIe 1 Slot (Or whatever slot your GPU is installed)
    • Super IO Configuration - Serial Port: Disabled
    • Network Stack Configuration: Disabled
    • USB Configuration - XHCI Hand-off: Enabled
    • Chipset
    • VT-d Disabled
  3. Return to tonymacx86's UniBeast: Install macOS Sierra on Any Supported Intel-based PC and continue with: Install macOS Sierra
    1. Post Install with MultiBeast [make the following selections:]
    2. Quick Start > UEFI Boot Mode
    3. Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC888
    4. Drivers > Network > Intel > IntelMausiEthernet v3.3.1
    5. Drivers > USB > Increase Max Port Limit 100 Series
    6. Bootloaders > Clover v2.3k r3766 UEFI Boot Mode + Emulated NVRAM (I wasn’t able to get the Nvidia Web drivers to stick without installing with Emulated VRAM)
    7. Customize > System Definitions > iMac > iMac 14,2
    8. Go ahead and install the NVIDIA Alternate Graphics Drivers for OS X 10.12.5 (16B2657) found here —> http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/117854/en-us
  4. M.2 Drive Configuration
    1. Download NVMe Patch Files From Here https://github.com/RehabMan/patch-nvme
    2. Follow guide included in download to create the kext or here is a video I found to me more helpful
    3. M.2 Drive kexts patcher video guide
    4. Once you have created the kext open Clover Config and copy and paste the Kext into EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12
    5. Reboot (Your M.2 Drive Should Be visible in macOS now)
  5. Cloning SSD to M.2 Drive
    1. Download Carbon Copy Cloner
    2. Clone the SSD or HDD you did the install on to your M.2 drive
    3. When the cloning is finished it will ask you if you want to create a recovery partition: yes
    4. After cloning process is completed open MultiBeast and do the same install from Step 3
    5. Once clover is installed onto M.2 drive open the EFI partition and install the HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_5.kext in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.12 just like you did on the SSD
    6. Reboot (Select your M.2 drive as default boot option in bios)
    7. You now should have a completely set up and function mackintosh booting from your M.2 drive with wicked fast speeds WOOO!!!!
  6. iMessage Setup

Current Backup Configuration

If this is going to be your primary system I would HIGHLY suggest you keep the original SSD you used for the install and keep it as a bootable backup. I kept my originally install SSD and have Carbon Copy Cloner running daily backups to my system so that in case anything ever goes south and I’m in the middle of work I can simply boot to my Bootable Backup and not be interrupted with tinkering in the middle of work.
On top of the bootable backup I also have a 4TB HDD running constant TimeMachine backups
On top of the time machine backups I have separate 500G SSD’s in RAID-0 that store all of my company PSD files, this RAID drive is then backed up to google drive and our company NAS

My backup solution may be a little over the top for most people but I own a screen printing company and have nightmares about losing all our files because I wanted to do a hackintosh. I think having 4 physical copies of everything is ESSENTIAL for unreplicable data. But if all else keep a bootable backup and run Time Machine backups.

Current Over Clock Settings

I currently have my Corsair H60 water cooler setup in push-pull configuration (I added another fan)
This has been allowing me to run a very stable 4.5 GHZ Overclock no problem, CPU voltage set at 1.335 V

System Info
p100

MultiBeast Settings
p93

Benchmarks
General system benchmarks from Geekbench
p99

OpenGL test results from Unigine Heaven
p98

CPU and OpenGL Benchmarks From Cinebench

p94

Blackmagic Disk Speed Test
p102

This is excellent. I'm building a very similar system for a friend of mine.

No I built one for myself last year.

Actually I didn't build it to be a hackintosh. My intention was to build a monster PC for video editing, but coming from mac I decided to try it out as a hackintosh and luckily my components were all compatible.

Hi, Garrettweems! I have a similar setup as yours, but I keep running into problems with the boot up. I install Sierra from USB, and it installs and everything, but, when it boot up from the drive, it doesn't want to boot. I have tried different ways on doing this and still can't get to get it working. I have followed different ways on installing Sierra and had no luck. I been going thru this for about a month now on and off, but just feel like I'm breaking my head off on thinking what am I doing wrong. If you can help or guild me, I would appreciate it.

Ga-Z170X-UD3 Ultra
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Ballistix sport single 8gb DDR4 2400
i7-6700
EVGA GTX 1050 Ti

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Eddie! Don’t give up on her yet I swear getting my first setup going was the most frustrating thing ever but once you get it you should be golden.

What’s build are you using?

Also one thing during my setup that really screwed with me for awhile is that I had to have the vram scripts installed with clover.

Hi Eddie! Don’t give up on her yet I swear getting my first setup going was the most frustrating thing ever but once you get it you should be golden.

What’s build are you using?

Also one thing during my setup that really screwed with me for awhile is that I had to have the vram scripts installed with clover.
Hey garrettweems, thanks for replying back. Well I'm trying not to but seems like its not working or I'm missing something. I feel like i did everything that i can think of plus I'm new the the hack world. On the clover can i use the new one that is on this website or do i have to use a different one. Im trying to install sierra 12.5. Im using the custom mac pro build

My set up is:
i7 6700
Ga-z170x-ud3 ultra
Samsung 850 evo 250gb
Tp-link tl-wdn4800 n900
Evga geforce gtx 1050 ti
Power spec 650 power supply

Wow that is extremely similar to mine... Are you booting with 14,2 or 17,1?

I'm going to upload My efi to google drive so you can download that and take a look

I'm going to upload My efi to google drive so you can download that and take a look
There is no requirement to host your files on third party sites - You may attach them to your posts here - Zip it first but remove the Themes folder.

Wow that is extremely similar to mine... Are you booting with 14,2 or 17,1?

I'm booting with 14,2 I seen its better and won't have any issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back