Contribute
Register

[Success] Lenovo ThinkPad L380 - OC - Monterey 12.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
sounds a bit extreme?
I have not been able to find a software solution and when I get drift, I cannot use my mouse. It stops me from doing work and leaves me waiting for the mouse to behave itself. I love the trackpoint but it is not functional under MacOS.

I have not been able to find a software solution and when I get drift, I cannot use my mouse. It stops me from doing work and leaves me waiting for the mouse to behave itself. I love the trackpoint but it is not functional under MacOS.
Post 1 mentions trackpad is working

Hey, by chance do you happen to know how to disable the trackpoint, or should I go about it internally by disconnecting its ribbon cable?
Unfortunately it's no more possible to disable it at BIOS level on this generation of Thinkpads.

But you could try to disable it within Opencore config. As trackpoint is managed by VoodooPS2Mouse.kext and trackpad by VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext.
Under Kernel > Add, at entry "VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Mouse.kext" set "Enable" entry to false. Don't remove "VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Mouse.kext", just disable it.

---
I have two L380 and on both the trackpoint works perfectly under MacOS, without any trouble. So it's not MacOS or VoodooPS2, it's perfectly functional.
IMHO, from my experience of more than 20 years using Thinkpads, when the trackpoint drift alone then there is an electrical problem somewhere (a bad connection, some electrical noise from another component inside the laptop, ...)

Last edited:
Unfortunately it's no more possible to disable it at BIOS level on this generation of Thinkpads.

But you could try to disable it within Opencore config. As trackpoint is managed by VoodooPS2Mouse.kext and trackpad by VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext.
Under Kernel > Add, at entry "VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Mouse.kext" set "Enable" entry to false. Don't remove "VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Mouse.kext", just disable it.

---
I have two L380 and on both the trackpoint works perfectly under MacOS, without any trouble. So it's not MacOS or VoodooPS2, it's perfectly functional.
IMHO, from my experience of more than 20 years using Thinkpads, when the trackpoint drift alone then there is an electrical problem somewhere (a bad connection, some electrical noise from another component inside the laptop, ...)
Do you have a suggestion to where I should look exactly?

---
Also, my boot time seems to have gotten slower, but it seems to be running an older version of Opencore, I will get back to you on this issue if I remember to.

Do you have a suggestion to where I should look exactly?
It's in the "config.plist" file of your OpenCore directory. Edit this "config.plist" file with an appropriate tool like ProperTree ( https://github.com/corpnewt/ProperTree ).

As an advice I would recommend when you're modifying/experimenting with OpenCore config:
1. to get a backup of your EFI folder on another medium
2. to get a replica of your good/working EFI folder onto a bootable USB drive (just in case your mess with something on your boot drive config), just to ensure your can still access your MacOS installation by booting your computer from that USB drive
3. even more careful advice: make a replica of your EFI folder onto a second USB drive and make your experiments with OpenCore config directly on that drive.

It's in the "config.plist" file of your OpenCore directory. Edit this "config.plist" file with an appropriate tool like ProperTree ( https://github.com/corpnewt/ProperTree ).

As an advice I would recommend when you're modifying/experimenting with OpenCore config:
1. to get a backup of your EFI folder on another medium
2. to get a replica of your good/working EFI folder onto a bootable USB drive (just in case your mess with something on your boot drive config), just to ensure your can still access your MacOS installation by booting your computer from that USB drive
3. even more careful advice: make a replica of your EFI folder onto a second USB drive and make your experiments with OpenCore config directly on that drive.
I think I am going to wipe my machine and install something better, such as 10.15 Catalina.

I think I am going to wipe my machine and install something better, such as 10.15 Catalina.
It's up to you.
But as long as you just take someone else's EFI/installation without any understanding of your machine and its specificities and then the appropriate adaptations for its specificities, you will not get a 100% reliable and stable hackintosh.

It's up to you.
But as long as you just take someone else's EFI/installation without any understanding of your machine and its specificities and then the appropriate adaptations for its specificities, you will not get a 100% reliable and stable hackintosh.
hello, can you share new EFI thinkpad L380 for everyone ?
thanks u so much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back