Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] jbarnette's Build - ASUS TUF Z390 M Gaming + i9-9900K + Sapphire RX Vega 64 8GB + 32GB RAM + MacOS 10.14.3 w/ USB3 working!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@mmaira,

As I recall, the ABWB card has been problematic for some people. If you can return it, that might be a wise decision, especially since the existing card is working.

You said you reset CMOS, but does this mean you upgraded it back to F6? You should do the upgrade! These motherboards have a failsafe mechanism (dual BIOS) in which they spontaneously revert to an older BIOS under certain circumstances.

After doing the update to F6, you should set all the parameters correctly.

I know you want to keep everything as-is, but don’t be afraid to update BIOS and setup the parameters properly. Otherwise the system may encounter strange issues later on.

If my advice causes things to totally break apart, just blame me (or flame me)?? :)

@mmaira,

As I recall, the ABWB card has been problematic for some people. If you can return it, that might be a wise decision, especially since the existing card is working.

You said you reset CMOS, but does this mean you upgraded it back to F6? You should do the upgrade! These motherboards have a failsafe mechanism (dual BIOS) in which they spontaneously revert to an older BIOS under certain circumstances.

After doing the update to F6, you should set all the parameters correctly.

I know you want to keep everything as-is, but don’t be afraid to update BIOS and setup the parameters properly. Otherwise the system may encounter strange issues later on.

If my advice causes things to totally break apart, just blame me (or flame me)?? :)

@CaseySJ
Just upgrade the PC to F6 (I still had the image on one of my USB stick)
Everything good so far ..... :)
Retrospectively I think this is really the first time that I am experiencing BIOS corruption and autorepair..... and I have been playing with motherboards for quite some time already.....
Hopefully this will not repeat itself, as @pastrychef mentioned it might be that this motherboard BIOS is faulty / not well thought through, it's a pity as this is one of the rare gigabyte mATX board with Thunderbolt capabilities (I will soon buy a THB3-compatible display, BTW if you have any recommendations here, I d be happy to take them) .... let's see.... I'll keep this community updated.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ
... (I will soon buy a THB display, BTW if you ahve any recommendation here, I d be happy to take them) ....
Apple's WWDC 2019 runs from June 3 to June 7, which is less than one month away! According to this article from yesterday, we might get a look at the new (rumored) 6K Apple Thunderbolt Display. If so, there you have it...that's my recommendation!

Hey, just wanted to get back to you, as I was using this thread to get everything up and running.
My Hack is working perfectly now, Sleep/wake, BT and Wifi (via Broadcom Card), everything is nice. Even the noisy Vega64 by Asus shut up, when I followed the guide from @CaseySJs threat.

One question I have, is there a fan control app that works with hackintosh/10.14.4? I use FanControl on my MacBook Pro, it gives me all the thermals, and I can easily configure the fans when, f.E. I need to render something out.
And, that's why I ask here, is it necessary to have an SSTD for the onboard fan headers? (If so, somebody want to share it for the Z390 M Gaming?)

Also, as I want to have the perfect Usage/Formfactor build, I ordered a M.2 MKey to Broadcom card adapter. If this works, I can free up the only PCIe slot not occupied by the GPU and will be able to get TB3 into my hack as well. (Which would be the full-on Mac experience in a super small case. Dedicated graphics, TB3, Wifi, BT, Airdrop)

I will report back if it works, as this maybe interesting for some people here, and probably for most mAtx board users.

Good news to hear this.
in my case I will use 2 SSD M.2, I will need 4 more SATA so I will have to put a PCIe for this, one of the PCIe will be for Wifi / BT like you.
I also want to put TB3, but I do not think it's compatible with our motherboard.

Good news to hear this.
in my case I will use 2 SSD M.2, I will need 4 more SATA so I will have to put a PCIe for this, one of the PCIe will be for Wifi / BT like you.
I also want to put TB3, but I do not think it's compatible with our motherboard.
It is. There is a TB3 header on the mobo. You need an Alpine or Titan Ridge add-in card, that will occupy a PCIe slot. See here.
So, if you have a GPU that blocks 3 PCIe slots (like mine), you can go for a M.2 adapter, or (that is also my Plan B if the adapter doesn't work) cram a flexible PCIe cable underneath the GPU, to make place for the TB3 add-in card. Also, you will need both internal USB headers for WIFI/BT card and TB3 card. So, only USB3 left for front I/O.

It is. There is a TB3 header on the mobo. You need an Alpine or Titan Ridge add-in card, that will occupy a PCIe slot. See here.
So, if you have a GPU that blocks 3 PCIe slots (like mine), you can go for a M.2 adapter, or (that is also my Plan B if the adapter doesn't work) cram a flexible PCIe cable underneath the GPU, to make place for the TB3 add-in card. Also, you will need both internal USB headers for WIFI/BT card and TB3 card. So, only USB3 left for front I/O.
I like your idea, I'll do the same.

It's a shame that the CNVi connector is not working with standard M.2 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth cards...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back