Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I installed Mavericks on my dell XPS 8300 three years ago and it has been running beautifully over these years. (However I was never able to upgrade it.) The experience was so good that I have been telling my wife I will buy the next mac mini as soon as it came out, unfortunately it never did. Now the original SSD was running out of space so I installed El Capitan on a new 500GB SSD yesterday. It was much easier then I expected.

I read the instructions here but did not use any file in the post.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-idell-xps-8300-yosemite-10-10-4.168929/

I basically followed the generic unibeast guide on this site:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...pitan-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.172672/

For the BIOS settings:
  • Hard Drive mode is set to AHCI.
  • Disable Intel Speed Step

At Unibeast Bootloader Options screen I picked Legacy Boot Mode
Installed Multibeast with Legacy boot mode and I did not add any custom options. (I believe here if you choose to patch the audio file, it will modify the AppleHDA.kext thus later you can't apply toleda's script successfully.)

The installation reboots and works except the Ethernet and Audio:

• For the Ethernet, I installed the BCM5722D.kext (from my old maverick installation) using Kextbeast. (File attached)
  • For the audio, followed instructions here: https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC I got the prompt: "No Clover/Chameleon files, confirm Osmosis/other install (y/n):" and got confused a bit but I picked "Y" and it did the magic. Audio started working after reboot. However the audio is disabled the next time I reboot. So I went back and read the toleda's instructions again, then redid the steps. The key issues I learned from the process for me were: (1) Must have the native AppleHDA.kext; (2) Disable SIP (In Clover configurator, set csr-active-config to 0x3 and booterconfig to 0x28 in RtVariables; (3) Turn off all the ACPI/DSDT/Fixes in the Clover configuration. All these are mentioned in toleda's readme.

Overall the installation took less than an hour and half. I used OSX's migration tool to move data from my old SSD to the new one and it was a breeze.

I found this post very useful and recommend anyone who is new to El Capitan to read it.
Explaining OS X El Capitan Security Changes - Workarounds and Current Information
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...s-workarounds-and-current-information.170611/

My previous mavericks installation
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-idell-xps-8300-mavericks-10-9-fresh-install.118522/

Attachments

• BCM5722D.kext.zip
    44.4 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:
Sleep is not currently working. (It was working in my Maverick installation)

the audio problem is resolved, make sure you use audio_CloverALC not audio_realtecALC.
Either would work but make sue you don't mix them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the awesome info - I am the owner of a Dell XPS 8300 that I want to turn into a Hackintosh ASAP (with either 10.11 or 10.12 on it), but admit I am intimidated by the process (if this all took you 1.5 hours, I am assuming a noob like myself could easily spend 6, and still not have it turn out right.

So i was wondering if you'd be kind enough to answer q's of mine as I go prepare for and go through the process shortly? I promise for them to be well-researched before asking (so I don't waste your time) and the help SUPER appreciated. Let me know, totally understand if you don't have time or don't get this message anytime soon - just trying to get this done and looking for help.

Thanks!

Thanks for the awesome info - I am the owner of a Dell XPS 8300 that I want to turn into a Hackintosh ASAP (with either 10.11 or 10.12 on it), but admit I am intimidated by the process (if this all took you 1.5 hours, I am assuming a noob like myself could easily spend 6, and still not have it turn out right.

So i was wondering if you'd be kind enough to answer q's of mine as I go prepare for and go through the process shortly? I promise for them to be well-researched before asking (so I don't waste your time) and the help SUPER appreciated. Let me know, totally understand if you don't have time or don't get this message anytime soon - just trying to get this done and looking for help.

Thanks!

Hi, Welcome!
please feel free to ask any questions, I will try my best to answer them.

Ok, so I followed the unibeast guide on this site as you did:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...pitan-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.172672/

And everything went swimmingly until Step5.5 (Post Installation with MultiBeast: Complete OS X El Capitan setup) - when I try and complete the El Cap setup it reboots itself after I input the Ethernet info.

I recorded the following video in verbose mode if that helps any:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zpnql8y9icny2l/VID_20170404_194300.mp4?dl=0

All of the setup specs are below in case that helps any, but either way - thanks so much for this, and if you have any insight at all I will be eternally grateful!!! (In the mean time, I will keep troubleshooting and reading the forum and various docs). THANKS!!!

**This is the setup of my XPS 8300**

i7-2600, 3.4ghz Sandy Bridge (LGA 1155)
8gb ram 1333 ram (4 sticks of 2gb) (16 or 32 max)
500gb HDD (7200rpm)
Wireless – n, Ethernet
Bluray bd rom
19n1 card reader
AMD Radeon HD 6450 - 1 GB DDR3 SDRAM (maybe not compatible with hackintosh)
Intel H67 Express
460w PSU
7.1 THX surround

(NOTE: if you want more detailed info I included the invoice specs from days long ago at the bottom, although I am not sure that will help):

Monitor (through VGA currently although I will move to DVI once setup) - Asus VS247H-P 24-Inch Full-HD LED Monitor

Currently connected through Ethernet cable from my NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Mbps Switch (GS205) which is in turn connected to my Netgear NETGEAR AC1750 Smart Wi-Fi Router, 802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit (R6400-100NAS) router

-------d

Dell XPS Invoice Specs:

1 317-6080 XPS 8300 Intel Core i7-2600 processor(8MB Cache, 3.4GHz)
1 317-5786 8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4x2GB
1 331-0659 Dell Consumer Multimedia Keyboard
1 320-2976 AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB DDR3
1 342-2172 500GB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM
1 421-5693 Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, English, No Media
1 330-1158 Dell USB 6-Button Laser Mouse
1 430-3775 Standard USB 2.0 + 10/100/1000 Ethernet
1 313-3607 No Dial Up Modem Requested for Dell Dimension
1 318-0357 Blu-ray 8X BD-R, DVD+/-RW Drive with DVD+R double layer write capability
1 421-9898 THX TruStudio PC
1 313-6138 No Speaker Requested
1 430-3922 Dell 1501 WLAN PCIe card

Can you try not to enter any ethernet info (basically skip that step) and get to the osx desktop first, then install the BCM5722D.kext attached in my post.

I rebooted into my windows installation and checked the network card info, it looks like the same (DW1501)
so I guess that kext should work for you.

dw1501 WLAN.JPG

Fantastic, skipping that part did indeed work. Thank you! I now feel foolish for not having realized that I should just skip it (I went to the more complicated task of reading all of the verbose text and trying to figure out what everything meant).

Will continue forward on this and hopefully not have any other issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back