Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello All,

I have got most of my Hackintosh running just fine. However, as my post title suggests, my video isn't there yet.

During my road to video success, I have hit a few road blocks. Each time being able to overcome them by the various forum posts, guides or tutorials on this site. However, this current road block has had me stumped for two days.

So here it is.

When booting with clover I have set the following,

- FakeID / ATI = 0x6938 I have also tried 0x6939
- Inject / ATI = true
- FBName = {I have left this as default"
- FixDisplay = true

With the information above, I was able to get past the apple logo boot and the OS loads. However, the resolution is very low and the screen keeps tearing.

I then look at graphics/displays in my about Mac section and can see the device ID is set to all 0's. So I am pretty sure my issue is that although I can now boot into the OS, it is not actually loading the correct drivers.

Another couple of notes,
1. For the fakeID, I have trie entering the whole device ID, which I bleleive should be 0x69391002, but if I do that, the system will load part way though the apple logo, then go black.

2. If I remove all settings related to graphics drivers, I get the same black screen as noted above.

3. I am not sure if the system definitions play a part here, but I have tried Mac Pro 3,1 5,1 and 6 ,1.

So, I am wondering two things here.

1. Am I missing something here? Which I assume i am.

2. Is it possible the R9 380X just doesn't work?

Any help would be appreciated.

@lovan6 I did read that link. From my understanding of it, it means i either have to use a fake ID, which i have, but the resolution is all messed up, or it won't work work and just boots to black screen. however, that is not my experience.

@
Fl0rian I am not sure how setting the integrated GPU too primary will fix this, but i will give it a try for sure.

Thanks to both of you for you responses.

The R9 380X is actually included in the drivers, so the corresponding line in my Radeon Guide should say "OOB = Yes". Soory for any confusion, I've corrected it.

All Tonga GPUs are affected by a power management bug, which will cause a black screen on boot unless you've set iGPU = Primary. I don't know why this is, this still needs to be figured out.

Try booting with iGPU = Primary and Inject/Ati = False. A mismatched framebuffer personality would cause a black screen, too, so it's better to turn injection off. Also try different ports, some might be dead in OS X.

@Fl0r!an Thank you for your suggestions. I tried them and it is working, mostly... :)

So, I
removed the Inject ATI. I went into my BIOS and set my Integrated Graphics as my primary GPU. So IGP instead of PEG.

Then, with only my HDMI cable plugged into my 380x, I rebooted the system. After about 1 minute of nothing, bam, I saw the OS X login screen. Once i logged in, I could see the
graphics looked great and sure enough, my system reported my R9 xxx series card.

So, I now have this one last issue, and honestly, if this is
something that can't be rectified, it is fine. But, with the current setup, I cannot see the BIOS or clover boot screens. When I power on my system, it is just black until OS X loads. However, if I plug an HDMI cable into my IGP on my MB, I can see the boot screens.

So this basically means, that if I want to boot into windows, or my BIOS, I would need to plug an HDMI cable into my IGP to choose these options. Again, not the end of the world, but wonder if you have any ideas?

Thanks for all the help.

That's the best you can get for now. You have the decision between boot screens and OS X with your card, you can't have both (unless you downgrade to Yosemite).

I know that's annoying, that's why we currently don't recommend any AMD GPUs in general (and your GPU in particular).

However you could do another workaround to make booting into Windows a little easier:
  • Configure Clover to always auto boot into OS X by default
  • When you want to switch to Windows, just chose the boot volume from the OS X preference pane. If your NVRAM is functional, Clover will instead boot to Windows on the next boot (and just the next!). When you want to go back to OS X, just reboot without doing anything.

Yes it works just fine that way for day to day use...The only strange thing though is when I play a game like Age of empires 3 the game freezes... I wanted to see if IGPU was doing the same and no... so you basically can play a game with a multiple screen set up on your IGPU but When you try to play it on the R9 380X the game freezes after 5 minutes of play time. when I say play on your IGPU I mean you go to System preferences/Monitors and you change the white bar over the monitor to the one that corresponds to your IGPU.

When you play on PCI-E and you say you want to change resolution to whatever you want the screen goes black and a tiny part of the game goes on the IGPU screen. it is like there is a confusion between IGPU and PCI-E. Then you have to force quit the game and start it again but still... it will crash after 5 minutes of play time. So in conclusion, for day to day normal use it will do just fine but I haven't found a solution yet for that problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back