Contribute
Register

Success Hackintosh i7 GA-Z170X-UD5 TH - i7-6700K - GIGABYTE GTX 970

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys.

I am about to buy this mobo because it seems to be the one with the best/easiest support for Thunderbolt right?

My local PC reseller has one on the shelf used for $130, so I thought I'd pick it up instead of getting one of Gigabyte's current models from this year just so I can get all the help from this thread. I have a UAD Apollo Twin Duo and want to make sure it will work, so assume this is still the best mobo to get, right?

Second question. Can I throw a 7700 in it without issue or do I still have to put a 6700 in it to be compatible with Hackintosh.

Thanks. Looking for a quick answer so I can go grab this and finally begin. Been waiting a year to do this.

Was anyone succsessful with connecting two monitors using both USC-C connectors via the internal graphics 530 from i7 CPU ?

Second question. Can I throw a 7700 in it without issue or do I still have to put a 6700 in it to be compatible with Hackintosh...
I recommend getting a SkyLake processor (6700) rather than the latest Kaby Lake processor (7700). First, according to reviews, there is not that much to gain, performance wise, in the Kaby Lake vs. the SkyLake; additionally, you won't be able to use all the new capability in the Kaby Lake processor with a motherboard using the SkyLake chipset.

Second, since Apple hasn't introduced a Kaby Lake processor Mac, yet, you'll have to use a fake CPU ID and other tricks. See this thread [NEW / TESTING] Intel 7th Generation Kaby Lake CPUs + 200 Series Motherboards in macOS for more information.

So, IMO, you're better off with a SkyLake processor (6700) with a Z170 motherboard.:thumbup:

I recommend getting a SkyLake processor (6700) rather than the latest Kaby Lake processor (7700). First, according to reviews, there is not that much to gain, performance wise, in the Kaby Lake vs. the SkyLake; additionally, you won't be able to use all the new capability in the Kaby Lake processor with a motherboard using the SkyLake chipset.

Second, since Apple hasn't introduced a Kaby Lake processor Mac, yet, you'll have to use a fake CPU ID and other tricks. See this thread [NEW / TESTING] Intel 7th Generation Kaby Lake CPUs + 200 Series Motherboards in macOS for more information.

So, IMO, you're better off with a SkyLake processor (6700) with a Z170 motherboard.:thumbup:

Thank you Stork. I always appreciate your posts and input on the forum. It's always extremely helpful.

Thank you for helping me to confirm this 100%. I will proceed with a 6700 or 6700k.

Thank you again.

Hey guys, problem .
When i try to start, the normal apple icon became a forbidden symbol and nothing happen.
I try to start with v f x but this is the result

Anyone can help me?

Attachments

• IMG_20170408_104656.jpg
    IMG_20170408_104656.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 146
Could someone point me to the right cable to buy to connect my Universal Audio Apollo to my new Gigabyte z170x-ud5-th motherboard.

I think it's TH3 > TH cable, right? But TH3 is the same size and shape as USB-C, right? And the Apollo Twin Duo Thunderbolt interface I have is just called a 'Thunderbolt' cable by Apple?

Where do I find this cable on Amazon? Thanks guys.

And interested in successful results by anyone willing to share.

Well, I guess I could try buying the Apple TH adapter...?

Or maybe this one? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9J3R4V/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Also, now I'm trying to sort out which M2 SSD to buy. Get the easier to use AHCI version or get the newer brands of NVME which are faster and LARGER for less money, but may require tweaking or not work at all? Dilemma.

This?
MZHPV256HDGL-00000 Only 256gb though. Really want 500gb+
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VELD92U/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Or would this Crucial work?
Crucial M550 512GB SATA M.2 Type 2280 Internal Solid State Drive CT512M550SSD4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ITFZTHC/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Not finding any results doing searches on here for this Crucial. But it is the newest, largest and cheapest option for the size and speed. Would be cool if these were working now.

But am curious if people still think it would be recommended to skip NVMe for now and just get an AHCI version of the m2 because no kexts are required, right?

Well, I guess I could try buying the Apple TH adapter...?

Or maybe this one? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9J3R4V/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

I don't think think this will work. Get the Apple tb3-tb2 adapter. I think this should work(search this site to be sure). I'm using the Startech TB3-TB2 adapter. Works fine after some initialisation in Windows(mandatory)

If you are a first time Hackintosher, get a SATA/AHCI SSD and not the NVME. Will save you headaches. Normal format SATA SSD's are fairly fast and cheap.

Thanks @zipb. Good advice. I'll take it. I'll order the Apple TB3>2 adapter. Seems the easiest method.

I just finished setting my GA-Z170X-UD5 up 10 minutes ago. I even got the OS cloned over to my NVMe EVO 960 SSD! But Bios is still on F20. So I am not sure any of this will help. I changed these items in Bios... Optimized default, Enabled XMCI hand-off, Disabled Super IO Config, Disabled VT-d, Used other OS for Windows8/10 features, Boot UEFI only in storage Boot Option Control and Disabled secure Boot Mode. I have a few screen shots of kexts and clover...
View attachment 244583

@johnmarkzimm, how hard was it for you to get the NVMe 960 working? Complex? Easy? Is there a guide you used? I'd love to get the 4x speed of nvme if I can as my boot drive. Any advice would be appreciated.

@Stork, I ordered the 6700k! Last CPU to support Win7, and it's almost as fast as the 7700k, so not a big loss there. I just lose the 4k streaming optimization, the newer onboard 610 graphics, a bit of overclocking/heat benefits and the Optane support. Hope I don't miss those... But you're right, this should make my build easier to get going. I can always swap it out later once support is added to MacOS in a future update perhaps.

@johnmarkzimm, how hard was it for you to get the NVMe 960 working? Complex? Easy? Is there a guide you used? I'd love to get the 4x speed of nvme if I can as my boot drive. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry it took me so long to reply to your question. It was real easy to do. I used these instructions.
https://nickwoodhams.com/getting-your-nvme-ssd-working-on-macos-sierra-10-12-2/
But to make it the boot drive I first did my OS install on a different drive, then I did this tutorial to enable NVMe drives. When I could see the NVMe drive, I cloned the OS over to it, and kept the original as a backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back