- Jul 12, 2015
- Gigabyte Z370-HD3P
- i7 8700K
- RX 580
- Mobile Phone
Gigabyte Z370-HD3P LGA 1151 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 3.7 GHz LGA 1151 Boxed Processor
Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB
Corsair 32GB DDR4 2400 Vengeance LPX (CMK32GX4M4A2400C14) Memory
Asus RX580 8GB ROG STRIX OC
Corsair RM650 PSU
Bluetooth v4.0 USB Adapter (no longer available to buy)
Apple Magic Keyboard
Logitech G402 Mouse
Samsung U28E590D Monitor
Decided it was time to upgrade my old Z97 / i5 4690 / GTX 760 2GB system to something more modern.
Many Thanks to @muk546, @shark7760 & @monsterz excellent build guides, which I followed and the below worked for me...
(upgraded version F8 first)
- Save & Exit → Load Optimized Defaults
- M.I.T. → Advanced Memory Settings Extreme Memory Profile(X.M.P.) : Profile 1
- BIOS → Fast Boot : Disabled
- BIOS → CMS Support: Disabled
- BIOS → LAN PXE Boot Option ROM : Disabled
- Peripherals → Super IO Configuration → Serial Port : Disabled
- Peripherals → USB Configuration → XHCI Hand-off : Enabled
- Chipset → Vt-d : Disabled
After creating a Mojave boot stick via Unibeast 9.0, I booted up and formatted my system disk to APFS as I was getting a not enough disk space error if trying to install on a HFS+ formatted drive, took 15 to 20mins to install, after install was completed I ran MultiBeast 11.0.1 and used the below settings
- Quick Start > Clover UEFI Boot Mode
- Drivers > Audio > AppleALC
- Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC
- Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC Plugins
- Drivers > Network > Intel > IntelMausiEthernet v2.4.0
- Drivers > USB > Remove XHCI USB Port Limit
- Drivers > USB > USBInjectAll (if do not have your own custom USB kext for your system)
- Customize > System Definitions > iMac > iMac 18,3
When this is done I downloaded the following latest kexts and using KextBeast installed them into /Library/Extensions
- USBPorts * (4th November 2018 Update)
- RX580 OOB (was a better experience installing mac os than using a GTX 760, and seems smother while using the system as well)
- All USB 2.0 & 3.0 Ports (3.1 Ports not tested)
- Audio from rear speaker port on Z370 Board and headphone port on front of my case
- both NVMe PCIe SSD's
- App Store
- Quicklook (make sure if your using iMac 18,3 with internal graphics disabled your using the NoVPAJpeg.kext)
- Updated BIOS to Version F8, re-entered settings again - No problems found so far.
- Found slight blue tint around text when using DisplayPort on the RX580, problem seems to have gone when using a HDMI cable, tested DP in windows and ubuntu and I don't have the problem so would seem to be a driver problem, but happy using HDMI as I only use 1 monitor.
- Swapped out the H80i v2 for a CoolerMaster Evo 212 and the Corsair 400Q case with a CoolerMaster H500, the H500 provides better case cooling as the RX580 seems to run a bit hotter than my old GTX760.
- All the usb 2.0 and 3.0 ports seem to work, with 3.0 ports running at correct speed, but under USB Device Tree, only getting USB 3.0 Bus and 3.1 Bus, No 2.0 Bus....
- Updated Lilu.kext to v1.2.6, AppleALC.kext to v1.3.1 & Clover_v2.4k_r4630
- Downloaded Mojave from the app store and created a bootable usb with Clover_2.4k_r4674, performed a clean install of Mojave (seems more straight forward than High Sierra)
- Installed Clover_2.4k_r4674, used multibeast 10.4 to install network and System Definitions (18,3), uploaded Lilu.kext (v1.2.7), AppleALC.kext (v1.3.2) USBinjectAll.kext / XHCI-300-series-injector.kext and NoVPAJpeg.kext (v1.0) and Audio works without running audio_cloverALC-130_command file, graphics works fine and I'm able to get quicklook / preview not to hand with the NoVPAJpeg.kext, after reading other users builds I have also added the WhateverGreen.kext (v1.2.3) as well.
- Was able to get all usb ports working by uploading the latest RehabMan OS0X-USB-Inject-All kext files and with by adding the following in clover config...
- Comment: USB Port limit patch 10.14 (credits FredWst)
Find: 83 FB 0F 0F 83 03 05 00 00
Replace: 83 FB 0F 90 90 90 90 90 90
<dict> <key>Comment</key> <string>disable port limit in XHCI kext (credit PMHeart)</string> <key>MatchOS</key> <string>10.14.x</string> <key>Name</key> <string>com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI</string> <key>Find</key> <data>g/sPD4MDBQAA</data> <key>Replace</key> <data>g/sPkJCQkJCQ</data> </dict>
- so far all seems ok for me, have also uploaded my latest config.plist (serial and model details missing)
- Did a full wipe and re-install as was not happy for some reason
- re-done my Installation guide which worked for me, but might not work for you.
- uploaded latest config.plist (I have removed my serial number from the config)
- After reading about other users usb problems after updating to 10.14.1, did some reading and using the https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/release-intel-fb-patcher-v1-5-9.254559/ I was able to create a USBPorts.kext for my system, I then removed the USB Port limit patch from my config.plist and removed USBInjectAll.kext, rebooted and ports still worked, updated to 10.14.1 and ports still working.
- After updating to 10.14.1 I lost sound, after reading the forum, I found that some users state you should put AppleALC, Lilu & WhateverGreen in Library/Extensions using KextBeast, did this, rebooted and back to normal again.
- re-done my Installation guide again, adding to above points into it
- uploaded latest efi folder (serial number missing from config.plist)
Update 5: - 20th February 2019
- Re-done my Installation guide again, due to having some crash problems with Internal and External graphics enabled, but as I don't need the UHD630 graphics when the RX580 does what I need (you might not get the same problems I had)
- Updated to latest AppleALC, Lilu & WhateverGreen, followed by Clover before updating to 10.14.3
- tried to update BIOS to version F11b but was unable to get the system to boot so went back down to F8
- I have uploaded my latest EFI folder and my USBPorts.kext (USBPorts.kext might not fully work for you due to the amount of ports on my case)
15.8 MB Views: 0
1.1 KB Views: 0