Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
[SUCCESS] Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H | HD7750 | 3 Monitors | AppleHDA VT2021

Hi Everyone!

I've been a reader of the forums since 2013 having started with a Mavericks hackintosh. I made some mistakes with my purchase then, with some less-than-OOB parts that required tinkering to support.

Old Mavericks install started having kernel panics intermittently, so an upgrade was needed.

With a few evenings, and extreme great thanks to the UniBeast & Clover install guides, I was able to install from Yosemite to El Capitan Successfully. I thought I would share the more unique steps I took to get it to work.

Setup: i5 3570K, 16GB Ram, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 250GB, 2x2TB HDD

TLDR:
1 Remove Graphics Cards and use USB2 first, use motherboard HDMI
2 Download all installers early
3 Unibeast/Yosemite to Clover/El Capitan
4 IONetworkingFamily.kext and AtherosL1cEthernet.kext for LAN
5 Verde.kext for HD7750
6 Use DSDT to get Audio ID: 12 for VT2021, then install patched AppleHDA for El Capitan

Part 1: Install OS X (Yosemite to El Capitan)
It appeared to me that installing Yosemite was easier, so I went that route.
1. Remove Graphics Cards, use HDMI for internal graphics
2. Test install usb with USB 2 ports first, then USB 3
3. Tried Clover with Yosemite, stuck at beach ball before installer. Gave up after several hours of attempts, probably my fault somewhere
4. Tried UniBeast install method, worked first time (great!)
5. Post install to Clover (AtherosL1cEthernet, FakeSMC)
6. For Ethernet, had to copy IONetworkingFamily.kext before it worked on boot
7. Used Clover kext replacement for TRIM without TRIM Enabler

Part 2: Update to El Capitan

1. I recommend downloading the installers before and simply transferring over (took 2 hours to download)
2. copy kexts from 10.10 to 10.11 in EFI partition

Part 3: Getting it working with HD7750
This is the toughest part, it would take much more time if I hadn't have a working Mavericks which I could go in and edit the config.plist.
Other ways to debug is try to get a working safe mode boot first, or swap out graphics card and in again when boot fails.
With HD7750 at least, Clover solved a lot of problems just by installing it.
1. Inject ATI is false (this is for HD 7750), Inject Intel is true (this is for internal graphics)
2. Verde.kext is in 10.11 folder after getting strange artefacts on boot
3. Had to init IGFX first so that all three displays work (HDMI on IGFX, Display Port and DVI-D on HD7750)

Conclusion/ Future Improvements
Sapphire HD7750 on Mavericks supported 3 screens, but on El Capitan only two outputs are usable. Third screen uses IGFX.
No sound because VoodooHDA causes problems with stability. Either I figure out something to enable VT2021 or use an alternative
No CPU Sensors in HWMonitor

Here's a picture!
capitan.jpg

Update: USB3 is sometimes an issue with the Z77 motherboards. Mine works without any extra kexts after switching SMBIOS profile to Mac Pro 3,1. Not too sure why. Tested with XBench

Update 2: Using a DSDT patch with MaciASL into /EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched, I managed to get Audio ID: 12 from Audio ID: 1 initially. Then, using Kext Utility to install a patched AppleHDA for El Capitan I was able to get the audio ports working without VoodooHDA. Only time will tell if this is more stable than plain using VoodooHDA.

Screen Shot 2015-10-24 at 8.20.40 PM.png

Update3: Using kexts (except FakeSMC) from http://hwsensors.com/ I was able to get CPU Core temps and much other information.

Hi Everyone!

5. Post install to Clover (AtherosL1cEthernet, FakeSMC)
6. For Ethernet, had to copy IONetworkingFamily.kext before it worked on boot
7. Used Clover kext replacement for TRIM without TRIM Enabler

Part 2: Update to El Capitan

1. I recommend downloading the installers before and simply transferring over (took 2 hours to download)
2. copy kexts from 10.10 to 10.11 in EFI partition

Hello,

I have the same motherboard.

I was trying to install El Capitan directly (not as you updating Yosemite).

Everything goes fine... even the clover patches.... but... I have no ethernet working. I have tried to install a driver but after reboot the system doesn't start correctly anymore (maybe because the driver is not for my ethernet or is not compatible with El Capitan).

I want to install the Ethernet Lan... which kext did you use for it?? Which method have you followed to inject the kext??? I am not an expert on mackintosh so if you can explain this it would be great...

Here's my copy of Verde.kext

Attachments

• Verde.kext.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 440
Hi, i currently have exactly the same board, but not able to install El Capitan. I get a kernel panic while booting the installer.

I tried my best to get the UEFI settings correct, but did not find the the setting from the screenshot in the installation guide.

It would be great, if someone of you can send me the screenshot of your setting with this special gigabyte board.

Thank you very much.
bb

Hi, nicluo! I have GA-B75M-D3P and Sapphire HD 7750, but Verde.kext provides me only visual artefacts in booted system 10.11.3, are any tweaks additionally needed?

Sorry to crash on an old post!

Success for me too, but with some niggles.

Setup: Gigabyte GA-H77-D3SH Rev 1.0, i5 3570K, 32GB RAM, SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series 128GB, 1TB HDD, HD7750, LG 27EA83R 2560x1440, El Capitan

After a lot of head banging, followed your guide on a clean installation and it worked fine. Experiencing monitor unresponsiveness after sleep too, but just disabled the feature. Also, every time I scroll a window or move the mouse pointer, a low noise comes out off the speakers, some kind of interference on the audio, but not too annoying if I keep the sound low. Will leave as is for now because I've already lost too much time on this upgrade.

Thanks for the guide.

Hi there,

I am trying to install Yosemite with clover Boot manager from past few days. I have almost tried almost every possible way, now I don't know where I am making mistake. My PC restart on normal and verbose mode every time. In single user verbose mode "missing Bluetooth controller" error shows and freezes.

Mysystem configs are as below:

GA Z77M-D3H
F13 BIOS version
I5 3470
MSI GTX960

Hi there,

I am trying to install Yosemite with clover Boot manager from past few days. I have almost tried almost every possible way, now I don't know where I am making mistake. My PC restart on normal and verbose mode every time. In single user verbose mode "missing Bluetooth controller" error shows and freezes.

Mysystem configs are as below:

GA Z77M-D3H
F13 BIOS version
I5 3470
MSI GTX960

I believe upgrading your BIOS should give a better result.
I recall "missing bluetooth controller" is rarely the problem and it is mostly some fault with the graphics at that stage because the graphics is initializing. Are you able to boot on safe mode/ 1 monitor only/ internal graphics.

I now use a MSI GTX980 so you should definitely be able to succeed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back