Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I can now report a fully working system with fresh Lion installation (see signature) after my intial issue with the Unibeast-Stick. :headbang:

I followed Gordo74's guide, which worked excellent. Thanks alot for putting that together. http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=32306

After reading through the latest Multibeast-Comments, I decided to modify the selections in Multibeast as shown in the attached picture.

I ran into a slight problem with booting from my Seagate HD, as it has already 4k sectors.
Fixed it with copying boot1h manually onto the boot partition as described by 'begg' here http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=259&t=36133&hilit=boot0:+error
I used unpgk application to unpack the installer (here Chimera 1.7.0). and added the block size at the end to be safe.
sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/sda2 bs=4096
I can confirm that if the drive in unmounted, it works in Mac OS X as well, so don't bother searching for a live-disk of Linux. In order to do so I just duplicated the Lion partition using CarbonCopyCloner and booting into it using rBoot, then unmount the primary boot partition using DiskUtility.

Network and audio are working, also Graphics on the HD3000 with full screen resolution (DVI - 1600x1200). Waking the screen after sleep takes forever, but that might be an issues with the automatic scanning of my LCD.
Other details remain to be tested, but all the essentials work.

One mystery remains: The Unibeast USB-Stick does not work a second time, it boots and gets stuck at a white screen where the language selection is supposed to show up. Same effect with booting up from USB or using rBoot. I will do some further investigation into this as I remember having seen this issue in this forum somewhere.

Anyway: I would like to thank tonymacx86 and macman and all the other contributors in this forum for their great work. :clap:

Attachments

• IMG_0427.jpg
    IMG_0427.jpg
    1,018.8 KB · Views: 1,182
Totally newbie here... I'm having the same HD issues with the same build as you... Sorry, my OS X is not in English, so, when you talk about "unmounting" the Lion partition in Disk utility, how do you do it (erase?)... Does this mean that i have to reinstall Lion again, or will it maintain the partition data, only achieving to boot becasue of unmounting?

Thanks, ;)

Hello sorginetxe,

unmounting just means, that the drive is disconnected from the operating system.
The content is untouched by this operation and you can mount it afterwards using Disk Utility.
Just select the partition (cannot be the one you booted the system from though), and click on the forth icon from the left (up and down arrow separated by a horizontal line - see attached picture).

Then you can do the command in terminal and restart. The drive will mount automatically during start-up.

Attachments

• Unmount.gif
    Unmount.gif
    104.9 KB · Views: 1,162
Hey! thank you very much Inspector!

I dismounted the unit and ran "dd boot1h of=/dev/rdisk02" without sudo, because when you enter the installer you are superuser and sudo command is not recognized.

I found the solution here: http://www.mymac4music.com/2011/10/boot0-error

I was unable to run "dd boot1h of=/dev/sda2 bs=4096" because terminal tells me sda2 command is not recognized...

but the good news is that i'm starting Lion without the installer usb! Now I'm going to update to 10.7.2...who knows!

;)

I am glad it worked out for you. Should have mentioned that 'sda2' needs to be replaced by your actual disk identifier, in my case it was disk0s2.
The instruction you found are excellent as they explain everything step by step.

BTW: If you have purchased Lion on the Apple-Store, you can re-download it and should get the latest version right away. No need for running an update anymore.

Inspector42 said:
I can now report a fully working system with fresh Lion installation (see signature) after my intial issue with the Unibeast-Stick.

Edit: I'm an idiot. I thought I ordered an i7-2600k, but instead ordered an i7-2600, and did not notice it when I assembled my PC. That processor has HD Graphics 2000 instead of 3000, so no wonder I only got to the Apple logo. Now I hope I can exchange it with not much trouble. :oops:

Congrats, I'm envious. I have the same board, same BIOS version, Intel Core i7-2600k, 2x4 GB Corsair LP DDR3, OCZ Vertex 3 90GB. Installing from Unibeast Stick went ok, but can't boot Lion from disk with Chimera bootloader. Apple logo appears, then a cursor arrow, and that's it. It just sists there. Is that the issue you had?

I've been reading hours through the forums, and it seems that many people using the same board have different problems. But most everyone gets past further than me. Sigh...

Any ideas?
Thx
Andrej

hey,
great going! :clap:

Can you just tell me what you did with the lnx2mac thing for internet?
I have same board & 10.7.2 just having internet issues atm :oops:

Thanks ;)

do not use the lnx2mac option.. for this board!

just use the Gigabit Realtek option and you should be fine

Cheers!

Well, I started with the lnx2mac option and it worked well enough until I started testing the system more thoroughly and ran into the wake from sleep USB issue.

Switched to Realtek Ethernet Driver and it has been working well even with heavy downloading.

Forgot to edit my initial post.

BTW, I manually deleted the lnx2mac kext (the file in Extensions is actually named differently - forgot the exact name, it started with REALTEK.... - you can only tell it is the lnx2mac driver by open the File-Info) and ran Mulitbeast to install the Realtek one, since I was not sure if MB would do a proper replace.

Inspector42 said:
Well, I started with the lnx2mac option and it worked well enough until I started testing the system more thoroughly and ran into the wake from sleep USB issue.

Switched to Realtek Ethernet Driver and it has been working well even with heavy downloading.

Forgot to edit my initial post.

BTW, I manually deleted the lnx2mac kext (the file in Extensions is actually named differently - forgot the exact name, it started with REALTEK.... - you can only tell it is the lnx2mac driver by open the File-Info) and ran Mulitbeast to install the Realtek one, since I was not sure if MB would do a proper replace.

I had been using the lnx2mac but should be using the Realtek? I had noticed the lnx2mac was a bit flaky, like read a few times to get it to work after it stopped working- you unplug everything let it all sit for a few minutes, plug it all back in, boot and it should work again.. crazy thing is that actually worked :p

My question is have you guys got the firewire, esata and usb 3.0 to work on this motherboard? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back