CPU
i7-8700k
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 SC
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I used the May 2018 buying guide to piece together a CustoMac Pro and have been struggling for a few days to get High Sierra installed. I was able to get the USB disk pieced together on my ML box, but am still struggling to get 10.13.4 installed. I've followed the instructions to the letter, including the BIOS settings on the board. This isn't my first rodeo, but it's been awhile.

After some initial problems, I was able to get further in the boot process by checking the USB Injection options in the clover menu. But it eventually freezes with numerous AppleUSBHostResources messages, followed by a garbled screen, and the dreaded stop sign. I've tried umpteen suggestions on the forum, including another EFI folder put together for Gigabyte boards, but no dice.

After a big more digging, I'm thinking the culprit is the lack of USB 2.0 ports on this particular board. The other Z370 revisions, or most of them, appear to have USB 2.0 ports on board. There are headers on the motherboard, but the suggested case, a Corsair 300R, only has USB 3.0 ports.

So I bought a USB 2.0 header off Amazon and it should be here in a couple of days. I'll post back to verify that this works, but wanted to bring this up in case anyone else is struggling with this motherboard.

Update - this didn't work. Used an SSD drive in place, see below.

Last edited:
Your motherboard includes USB controllers that lack native support (not Intel) :
USB
Chipset+ASMedia® USB 3.1 Gen 2 Controller:
  1. 1 x USB Type-C™ port on the back panel, with USB 3.1 Gen 2 support
  2. 1 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A port (red) on the back panel
Chipset:
  1. 10 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports (6 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB headers)
  2. 2 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports available through the internal USB header
Chipset+GENESYS LOGIC USB 2.0 Hub:
  1. 2 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports available through the internal USB header
You might try GenericUSBXHCI.kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.

Thanks for the information. The board was listed as the top choice for the May 2018 guide here, so someone got it to work. I’ll try the Kext and hope for the best.

I tried both the aforementioned kext and the USB header but no dice. I can see the kext loading, with a message saying it will be unloaded across sleep, but same behavior.

I tried 6 different USB drives, 2.0 and 3.0, but it made no difference. I tried Unibeast as well as a manual install. Maybe I'm doing something stupid as others appear to have success with this same board.

So I tried a different approach and used a spare SSD and it worked like a charm. Just had to create a small partion on the drive to fool Unibeast into seeing it as a flash drive.

Everything appears to work now, including USB 3.0, with the exception of Thunderbolt. Not using the wifi so didn't bother trying to get it to work.

I used the May 2018 buying guide to piece together a CustoMac Pro and have been struggling for a few days to get High Sierra installed. I was able to get the USB disk pieced together on my ML box, but am still struggling to get 10.13.4 installed. I've followed the instructions to the letter, including the BIOS settings on the board. This isn't my first rodeo, but it's been awhile.

After some initial problems, I was able to get further in the boot process by checking the USB Injection options in the clover menu. But it eventually freezes with numerous AppleUSBHostResources messages, followed by a garbled screen, and the dreaded stop sign. I've tried umpteen suggestions on the forum, including another EFI folder put together for Gigabyte boards, but no dice.

After a big more digging, I'm thinking the culprit is the lack of USB 2.0 ports on this particular board. The other Z370 revisions, or most of them, appear to have USB 2.0 ports on board. There are headers on the motherboard, but the suggested case, a Corsair 300R, only has USB 3.0 ports.

So I bought a USB 2.0 header off Amazon and it should be here in a couple of days. I'll post back to verify that this works, but wanted to bring this up in case anyone else is struggling with this motherboard.

Update - this didn't work. Used an SSD drive in place, see below.

You solved?
I have the same card, I installed Mojave from 0, but I do not work ports with USB 3.0 or 3.1, or tried with many KEXT but it does not work.

@boes, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card(s).
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard.
The Rules said:
Profiles are mandatory so that others can assist you.

You solved?
I have the same card, I installed Mojave from 0, but I do not work ports with USB 3.0 or 3.1, or tried with many KEXT but it does not work.

No, I did not get it to work. I got around it by using Unibeast to write the installer to a spare SSD. I then completed the install from the spare SSD to the main hard drive.

I’ve gotten everything to work once installed, including USB, aside from the built in Wifi and onboard sound. But I only use the Ethernet and an external soundcard.

This worked for me interestingly, I had to update BIOS from F2 to F10 to support my cpu (i5-9600k) which is the only thing I did before attaching an old Corsair Voyager to a broken out port from the USB2 header.

No prob booting off that after using Unibeast 8.3.2 to build the installer with 10.13.1, and then updated to 10.13.6 after MultiBeast 10.4.0 to finish things off. I also skipped the WiFi and have always gone with the simple $5 USB Audio dongle solution instead of bothering with onboard audio, even on my Windows builds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back