Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
HD 630
I've had 10.13.1 working completely for several weeks. I've been using the display port on the GTX 1060 graphics card and using the audio through the monitor. Out of the blue, the display port stopped working. I had to switch over to the the HDMI cable.

After booting successfully on HDMI, I received the warning that the Nvidia drivers were off and the OS X drivers were being used. I looked at the Apple updates and noticed that the most recent OS X Security Software had installed. I updated the graphics drivers with the Nvidia preference pane and rebooted. The Nvidia drivers are now enabled.

But... I still have no display port. The only output that works is HDMI. What happened? I'm assuming the security update did something. Also... the display port is no longer working on the Windows 10 side, too.

I was able to get the DisplayPort working again on the GTX 1060 with a DisplayPort to HDMI cable (DisplayPort on the graphics card and the HDMI end connected to the monitor). In the Display Preference Pane in OS X I switched the refresh rate from 60Hz to 144Hz. The display went black and I can’t get it to come back. So now:

DisplayPort to DisplayPort not working
DisplayPort to HDMI not working
HDMI to HDMI working

What gives?

Ok... I fixed it. o_O

The DisplayPort to DisplayPort suddenly not working had me perplexed. Did the one month old cable suddenly go bad? Very doubtful. Did the one DisplayPort input on the one month old HP Omen monitor suddenly go bad? Unlikely, as well.

I went generic and "Binged" DisplayPort stopped working. Nothing hackintosh, high sierra or 10.13.1 Security Update specific. Just "DisplayPort stopped working." A reply to a thread on a random forum for someone experiencing a similar, sudden loss asked "Have you unplugged the monitor for a few minutes and plugged it back in?"

That did the trick. Sheesh.

I had turned the monitor on and off with the power button (numerous times). I had moved around input sources (numerous times). I did multiple factory resets on the monitor. I used various monitor cables/types. But never once did I physically unplug the monitor's power cord. Ye' Ole' hardwired ON/OFF reset for the digital world did it. :banghead:

My guess is the 2017-001 Security Update for 10.13.1 reverted the graphics card back over to the Mac OS drivers, the HP Omen monitor saw something weird on it's DisplayPort input and disabled it's DisplayPort input until I power cycled the monitor.

Last edited:
Unbelievable, it worked!
What I do not understand is how a modern monitor (Iiyama ProLite X2788QS in my case) could be disturbed to this level by a a so-called bad DP signal ...
Anyway, thanks ski4evr!

Digital cables allow devices to handshake between each other - you can often see this on a TV, where a device is often named when it has been identified by the TV. If the digital handshake isn't found, then there is no connection made between devices. This signal security is often also used as part of copy protection methods to prevent duplication of copyrighted media.

I see, but the monitor connection should be able to reset itself to accept subsequent handshake attempts from the device.
It's a bit like, "You did not shake my hand correctly, so I do not want to shake your hand anymore!" ...
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back