Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Components:
Motherboard: GA-Z97x-UD3H
CPU: i7-4790k
Graphics: nVidia GTX 970 4G SC
Memory: 2x Kingston Fury DDR3 8gb
HD: 2x Kingston V300 120G SATA3 SSD
Bluetooth/WiFi: Custom built PCI card bought from Taobao (chinese website) for $30 http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...654&pvid=097a1988-5f16-4e51-bc22-4c12c4865d4e

I bought and assembled my new machine a few weeks ago but was not able to get everything working under 10.10.2: Under MultiBeast the audio was not clear, could not get 4k (but worked fine in windows), and most of the time the screen would flicker with static snow every five seconds. I tried using clover as a bootloader but would get panics when I tried to use it. With a new addition to the family, I couldn't really work on it, but got some time a couple days ago and decided to start from scratch with 10.10.3 and had no problems. Here is a step by step guide for anyone with the same or similar hardware.

1. Made a UniBeast drive following the Yosemite Installation guide from this site

2. Updated my BIOS to F8 and followed atshoom's pictures on his post (http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...os-f7-i7-4790k-gtx770-16gb-ddr3-10-9-4-a.html), only difference was I had no XMP field, I think because of my memory.

3. Turned on integrated graphics in the BIOS (was previously off) and removed the Graphics Card and one stick of memory.

4. Booted with UniBeast drive with the flags -v -x and GraphicsEnabler=No and installed Yosemite

5. Re-installed the graphics card and memory

6. Booted (with UniBeast drive) using flags -v -x GraphicsEnabler=No and nv_disable=1 from the new Yosemite HD

7. Ran MultiBeast with the following:

Quick Start > DSDT Free
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC1150
Drivers > Disk > 3rd Party SATA
Drivers > Disk > TRIM Enabler > 10.10.0 TRIM Patch
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.11.1328
Drivers > Network > Intel > AppleIntelE1000e v3.1.0
Drivers > AppleRTC Patch for CMOS Reset
Bootloaders > Chimera v4.0.0
Customize > Boot Options > 1080p Display Mode
Customize > Boot Options > Basic Boot Options
Customize > Boot Options > Hibernate Mode - Desktop
Customize > Boot Options > IGPEnabler=No
Customize > Boot Options > Kext Dev Mode
Customize > Boot Options > Use KernelCache
Customize > System Definitions > Mac Pro > Mac Pro 3,1
Customize > Themes > tonymacx86 Black

8. Installed the latest nVidia CUDA and web drivers from their site

9. Audio was still a problem but I downloaded the HDMIAudio.kext from http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1499797 and installed it via terminal like the post said, rebooted and was able to use HDMI audio with out any static or noise like before.

Another note about the BT/WiFi card: I bought it off a Chinese website called Taobao where there is a guy who makes the cards with native apple radios. Just needed to install the hardware and MacOS loaded it with no problems. Can use all gestures with my magic trackpad and wifi shows up as airport. Funny thing is I can use the BT with windows, but the wifi doesn't work, might need to get a driver for it.

Pretty much everything works, however I haven't tried iMessage which probably doesn't. I'm happy with how it works now but when I get some more free time, will try to install clover and try that out.

Last edited:
nice build!

Can you direct link the PCI card you use for BT/WiFi? Sounds interesting!

Thanks wieerik, was a lot of fun, even with all the problems the first go round.

Not sure what you mean by direct link the PCI card. I just installed it in the slot and hooked to power I think. It plugged into one of the USB hookups on the Motherboard but I think it's just for power but not sure.

Here is a link to the card I bought (updated my original post), http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...654&pvid=097a1988-5f16-4e51-bc22-4c12c4865d4e. Sure it's in Chinese but there are pictures and some of it is in "technese" so we all should be able to get the gist of it. I bought a USB dongle a few years ago from him but I had it on the front USB port of my old system and knocked it by accident causing it to break. Figured the PCI card was a better route this time, also he doesn't make the dongles anymore.

Finally got Clover up and running with almost no issues. I pretty much followed the TonyMac Clover guide from the post installation part (http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html) but here are the steps I took to get clover working.

1.) Downloaded latest version of Clover
2.) Downloaded FakeSMC and AppleIntelE1000e kexts and Nvidia config.plist
3.) Installed clover with most of the setting in the Post-Install part of the guide, the only difference was I used the OsxAptioFix2 instead of the first one.
4.) Added the kexts to the 10.10 folder on the EFI partition
5.) Replaced config.plist on the EFI partition with the downloaded Nvidia one.
6.) In config.plist, underneath the boot arguments, there is a section that said DefaultVolume. I changed that value to Yosemite as that's the name of my system's HD. The change looks like this.
<key>DefaultVolume</key>
<string>Yosemite</string>

Thats it and the only problem I have is that I cannot use an HDMI cable, I need to use a DVI-HDMI cable, but the sound still works so not a huge issue.

I have the same pc... by any chance you tried to install El Capitan on your pc?
I started today and I can not cross the apple... I boot from Clover, appears the apple for a few seconds and system reboot, always !... any tips would be great

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back