Graphics
GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD6870
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Preface: I was already running a stable Lion build on the same hardware, so this guide only walks through how I upgraded to Mountain Lion. The STEP's referred to in this guide are from tonymacx86 - UniBeast 1.5: Install OS X Mountain Lion on Any Supported Intel-based PC.

Follow STEP 1: Purchase OS X Mountain Lion and STEP 2: Prepare a UniBeast USB.

Prior to STEP 3:
- Unplug power cord, remove graphics card & plug monitor cable into the on-board video port.
- Unplug Ethernet cable and all other peripherals except for a USB keyboard and mouse. Plug in power cord.
- Power on, press F12 to choose boot device. Select USB HDD.
- At boot screen choose USB, type GraphicsEnabler=No (just start typing, command line will pop up) and press Enter.

Now continue following STEP 3, starting at #4 through #16. When the installation completes, however, shutdown instead of restarting.
- Plug in Ethernet cable.
- Power on, press F12 to choose boot device. Select USB HDD.
- At boot screen choose Mountain Lion, type GraphicsEnabler=No and press Enter.

My previous Lion setup used a second 1TB internal hard drive for Time Machine Backups, so I used Setup Assistant to restore all of my backed up user profiles, media & data to my new installation. If you do not wish to restore any data at this point, skip this step.

Continue following STEP 4, #1 through #7.

Run MultiBeast 4.6.1, select the following options:
- UserDSDT Install
- System Utilities > Repair Permissions
- Drivers & Bootloaders > Kexts & Enablers > Audio > Realtek ALC8xx > Unified Device Injector > ALC8xxHDA
- Drivers & Bootloaders > Kexts & Enablers > Audio > Realtek ALC8xx > AppleHDA Rollback

After MultiBeast finishes, shut down, re-insert graphics card (and any other peripherals) then power back on.

If the Internet is not working, re-run MultiBeast and select:
- System Utilities > Repair Permissions
- Drivers & Bootloaders > Kexts & Enablers > Network > Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx Ethernet v0.0.90

Complete the Lnx2Mac installation, restart. As a general rule I always run MultiBeast > System Utilities > Repair Permissions after installing any additional software, including Updates from Apple.

Edit: Forgot to mention, everything seems to be working just fine (sound, Internet, apps). If that changes I'll post another update. Enjoy!

Sleep and cpu management ?

Thanks for this. I managed to get everything working under Lion, but Onboard sound did not want to cooperate with me. I'll give Mountain Lion a shot this week (waiting for graphics card to arrive).
Question: What're you using for Bluetooth? Any problems with sleep?

I followed these instructions precisely and it worked great for me.
My setup is the same as yours except my MOBO is the GAZ-Z68MA-D2H-B3.

Thanks a lot!

Thanks for this. I managed to get everything working under Lion, but Onboard sound did not want to cooperate with me. I'll give Mountain Lion a shot this week (waiting for graphics card to arrive).
Question: What're you using for Bluetooth? Any problems with sleep?

I'm using Medialink USB Bluetooth Adapter - Version 4.0 for Bluetooth, and it's working great. No problems with sleep.

I followed these instructions precisely and it worked great for me.
My setup is the same as yours except my MOBO is the GAZ-Z68MA-D2H-B3.

Thanks a lot!

Awesome, glad to hear it!

Could you please post your org.chameleon.Boot.plist?

Hi there!
I have the same hardware as you except for the graphics; I use a Geforce GTX 550 ti and my mobo runs the F10 version
.So far everthing is working fine, I use my build for music mostly and Logic works ,also Ableton live and Sibelius 6.2.
I haven't tried out my Native Instruments Maschine along with Komplete 8 .
P.D.: my sound card is a Focusrtie Saffire 24 DSP( firewire) and also works via firewire PCI card.

Could you please post your org.chameleon.Boot.plist?

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GenerateCStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GeneratePStates</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>